• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The "MVP" Mathieu Van der Poel Road Discussion Thread

Page 33 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Corendon had their start of CX season press conference.

MvdP confirmed he's riding way less and CX is now more ' fun ' than an actual goal except the worlds. And he still rides for the classification in the DVV Trofee.
As for the road he trained well (at home, home altitude tent) and will ride Britain + some unspecified one day events until the worlds.

Not so much news, but it does appear likely that as his career goes on he rides less and less CX, as he feels he already achieved 'everything' there.

I've been thinking like that too. And it makes me wonder if that awesome punch-sprint power tends to dissipate over the years once you rack up GT's, try to develop to win cobbled monuments etc. Because Sagan just doesn't win like that anymore.

He doesn't which is a real pity as it was so glorious. Also some of the stage wins in the Tour of Oman was next level.

But I guess that his weight increase also makes it more difficult for him to sprint uphill like that.

I've been thinking like that too. And it makes me wonder if that awesome punch-sprint power tends to dissipate over the years once you rack up GT's, try to develop to win cobbled monuments etc. Because Sagan just doesn't win like that anymore.

I think it's also, at least in part, that Sagan can't move coming up to a finish like that without every other rider/team watching him for the final 5km. vdP is still new enough to the peloton that nobody knows how to cover him yet, so he can throw in a move like that and nobody's ready for it.

I think it's also, at least in part, that Sagan can't move coming up to a finish like that without every other rider/team watching him for the final 5km. vdP is still new enough to the peloton that nobody knows how to cover him yet, so he can throw in a move like that and nobody's ready for it.

Yeah, remember Gaviria at Paris-Tours? Just started his sprint with 500 to go and nobody reacted... could not pull a move like that today.

hopefully you aren't all suggesting that MvDP wasn't being watched yesterday? C'mon. Right now (and against that field especially), he's just so strong on that kind of finish. If he'd had Ala, Bala, Sagan or big sprinters that can get over bumps, it wouldn't have worked out that easy for him.

Reactions: KZD

TRENDING THREADS