• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The "MVP" Mathieu Van der Poel Road Discussion Thread

Page 55 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The outstanding favourite for de Ronde for me. Van Aert a bit below since he should be over the edge of his peak by now. Imagine the two of them dropping the rest of the field on the Paterberg and riding together to the finish. That would be a dream for every cx fan and it's far from an unlikely scenario.

I might forget someone because it's such an odd year, but who's going to challenge them? Quick Step isn't looking strong so far at all for the cobbles, for their standards.

Nostradamus

Well he didn’t exactly destroy him, and to be honest the media really did make Wout’s words bigger than they were.

He was just giving his perspective on how things went. Doesn’t necessarily make it true. We all know Mathieu is a winner pur sang and wouldn’t race just to make someone else lose.

It was just an organic sequence of events deep in a finale where instincts kick in and reasoning takes a little bit of a back seat. It all just looked a bit unfortunate.

Yeah I caught that from the air camera actually. Wout did mistake and then dropped his chain in the downhill where Alaphilippe attacked.

Anyway, I still stand by that MvdP was one of the bigger victims of the Covid19 period. Because it threw a spanner in all his plans and he clearly overtrained as a result of having no competition. So he was good but not great for most of his road campaign. And not doing a GT also cost him the few % he might have needed to really compete in LBL for instance.

Still came away with a Dutch champs, tirreno stage, binck bank tour + stage and RVV. And top 10 in Lombardia and LBL which a lot of people including myself doubted.

I hope to see him at his ultimate best again next year, because I didn't get the feeling we ever saw that this year. Close, but not exactly spring 2019 level

Nostradamus
If you're going to give props to everybody who predicted he would win, mine were posted on August 1st and in back in March. So you'd have to go much farther back.
But whatever. I mean, you don't HAVE to or anything. You know. Would be nice of course. But i'm not going to twist your arm or anything. Just that... i thought, that's what you were doing, so. I just thought i'd mention it. But don't feel obligated or anything. You're free NOT to, obviously...

If you're going to give props to everybody who predicted he would win, mine were posted on August 1st and in back in March. So you'd have to go much farther back.
But whatever. I mean, you don't HAVE to or anything. You know. Would be nice of course. But i'm not going to twist your arm or anything. Just that... i thought, that's what you were doing, so. I just thought i'd mention it. But don't feel obligated or anything. You're free NOT to, obviously...

Did you eat RhD? :(

• Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan

Don't be jealous now :cool:

And it was more than 'only' predicting MVDP would win btw.

Gilbert 2011 was way more impressive than VdP. Top 10 in all 4 monuments he raced and actually contended for the win in 3 of them.

Agreed, but Gilbert in 2011 was what 29/30 years old and at the very peak of his career? Hardly a fair comparison at this stage of Mathieu- and Wout’s careers.

If they keep developing at this rate than who knows one of them might best Gilbert at the peak of their career.

Furthermore, I share the sentiment that we haven’t really seen spring season 2019 and especially RVV 2019 level from Mathieu this year. This seems mostly down due to the covid19 mismanagement and overtraining which he confirmed himself.

This is why I’m so excited for next season, Mathieu vs Wout at their best throughout the whole season.

Agreed, but Gilbert in 2011 was what 29/30 years old and at the very peak of his career? Hardly a fair comparison at this stage of Mathieu- and Wout’s careers.

If they keep developing at this rate than who knows one of them might best Gilbert at the peak of their career.

Furthermore, I share the sentiment that we haven’t really seen spring season 2019 and especially RVV 2019 level from Mathieu this year. This seems mostly down due to the covid19 mismanagement and overtraining which he confirmed himself.

This is why I’m so excited for next season, Mathieu vs Wout at their best throughout the whole season.

I do not think that "developing" plays such a role in cycling. Yes, they can become smarter, more experience but physicly they can be already on their top. They will not be considerably stronger in 5 years.
As somebody clever said it here: The races are won in winter in cycling. Now they will have to handle big money, fame, girls, etc. Let us see how strong and ready they will be next spring.

The same top 2 spots, some 8 years earlier... They were 15-16yo :hearteyes: (pics "borrowed" from the comment section at https://cyclingtips.com/2020/10/a-photographers-view-of-the-best-race-of-the-year/)

e63fe07bd54d5e1521c22cba9471344a5e452a964206b696f84a63451e04674e.jpg