• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The "MVP" Mathieu Van der Poel Road Discussion Thread

Page 71 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Genuine question. I just wonder how Mathieu's "attitude" is to you as opposed to Wout's "muted" attitude? He's one of the most likable guys in the pro peloton imo. Even between the riders themselves.

OT: Elated for Mathieu. Thoroughly deserved win. You can clearly see how much it means to him. Now that that huge weight is off his shoulders and he has set the record straight for his late grandpa he can start thinking about Tokio.
I wasn't aware I had to explain my opinions to random strangers on the intertubes...so I won't.

Truly great effort. I didn't know there were bonis at the first Mur, i thought he'd gone crazy and didn't expect him to be able to attack again for the win.

View: https://twitter.com/daniellloyd1/status/1409194428233826309
Not to draw parallels because MVP's effort was a Masterclass in tactics and effort but Alaphilippe did the same thing in 2019 to re-take the jersey. He didn't win the stage but he and Pinot took sprint bonuses and time. He had an element of surprise, though. EVERYONE knew what MVP wanted to do and couldn't stop it. Grandpa should be very happy.

Yup. But yesterday those riders, including MvdP, got blown away by another "different class" rider. We're being spoiled.
the expectations are getting sky high and the disappointments will also be equally abyssal. But having seen him from cyclocross over a number of years especially if u see WCC Bieles and other WCCs, it is all MVDP. Allout brute force or not even trying.
Also i donot think people expect this from any other rider.

Yup. But yesterday those riders, including MvdP, got blown away by another "different class" rider. We're being spoiled.
and no doubt if WvA was in top shape, which he just about isn't due to that set back, we'd seen some different class demonstration somewhere in the 1st week as well. Now we'll get it later probably.

And I'm pretty sure Pogacar and Roglic will give some 'different class' demonstrations as well. We are spoiled.

Reactions: jmdirt
I mean to add some context to VdP attacking both climbs, behind him they also sprinted the first round around for the bonifications, and it was a super fast first ascent that already sapped the legs for the 2nd round for everyone.
Yes, the first ascent was only 5 second slower than the finish one. Both ascents were faster than 2011 Evans and 2015 Vuillermoz... And slightly slower than Dan Martin 2018 who had a 60kph+ approach speed compared to the ~35km/h approach speed they had this year.

Yes, the first ascent was only 5 second slower than the finish one. Both ascents were faster than 2011 Evans and 2015 Vuillermoz... And slightly slower than Dan Martin 2018 who had a 60kph+ approach speed compared to the ~35km/h approach speed they had this year.
Yeah the record would've been broken if they had chilled on the first climb. Also saw that Pogacar and Roglic almost hit 60kph in the sprint for 2nd still, even if the 100m is flat.

That comment about Paris surprised me - it wouldn't be ideal for Tokyo, maybe he thinks he can get to Paris, and still be in top shape? However, I wonder if he'll keep an eye on the Les Gets World Cup, and see how his rivals are performing?

Next sunday they will start 20 km away from Les Gets.

Can UCI adjust the timetables of both races so he races the XCO in the morning before the start of the Tour stage? :sunglasses:

now I wonder what's left. Chill a few days in yellow until the ITT. Try something in the hilly stages (I think there's only few opportunities) and then?
He said again he wants to reach Paris. Which is surprising all things considered
Very few solid rolling stages. Stage 7 should at least be an attempt at winning, and I guess maybe he'll try in the obvious mid mountain breakaway stages.

Reactions: jmdirt
I put zero weight on that comment about 'trying' to reach Paris. As the wearer of the yellow jersey, that's basically the most polite way of repeating what he has been saying all along: he'll be out of there. long before Paris.

I wouldn't even blame him. Any other year I disapprove of abandoning a GT for another race, but with the Olympics the equation is different.

TRENDING THREADS