• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The "MVP" Mathieu Van der Poel Road Discussion Thread

Page 74 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Well that was unexpected. I honestly thought he’d lose the jersey today. First time I see him actually giving it his all in a TT, judged by the Riis-esque grimace.

I mean, it really shouldn’t come as a surprise that he’s able to do this. The power has always been there. He just never really put time into adjusting and perfecting his position on the bike. If he does… Watch out.

Every time I think he can’t surprise me anymore he does something unexpected. This guy is just unreal.

Reactions: jmdirt and will-10
Well that was unexpected. I honestly thought he’d lose the jersey today. First time I see him actually giving it his all in a TT, judged by the Riis-esque grimace.

I mean, it really shouldn’t come as a surprise that he’s able to do this. The power has always been there. He just never really put time into adjusting and perfecting his position on the bike. If he does… Watch out.

Every time I think he can’t surprise me anymore he does something unexpected. This guy is just unreal.

Second that. This guy is quite good at anything he tries quite hard at really ain't he.

It's funny to consider that he could already fill a super spectacular career highlights tape with just his exploits this year, and then realize his three biggest goals of the season are still to come :smilecat:

wouldn't be surprised if he loses MTB tokyo spectacularly though. (and then come back 4 years later to blast everyone away). Just a feeling

Olympic MTB Silver should be doable at least. The gold is Pidcock's to lose.

Roubaix and World's - Van Aert and Asgreen are very serious contenders, and have beaten him before, but most of the time, they lack Van der Poel's X-factor.

Reactions: jmdirt
Olympic MTB Silver should be doable at least. The gold is Pidcock's to lose.

Roubaix and World's - Van Aert and Asgreen are very serious contenders, and have beaten him before, but most of the time, they lack Van der Poel's X-factor.
Maybe a bit of a stretch to say gold is Pidcock's to lose. Beating MVDP at NM is a totally different proposition than beating MVDP on top race form - or for that matter anywhere close to it, which he wasn't at NM. Piddy goes backward fast (see SB) just like everyone else when an on form blows a race to pieces. Straight up, I don't see where Piddy has any advantage in a 90 minute race vs. MVDP, and especially not on a course like Tokyo. Think folks are reading way too much into the two MTB races they contested this spring.

I don't know if it's just me, but I really, really hate the Tour de France seemingly insisting on having the yellow jersey holder ride a TT in full yellow from top to bottom. It's garish & makes the pour guy on the bike look like a banana.

I mean it must be the Tour itself which makes this obligatory because I never see it in other races.

Don't think the Olympic MTB race is quite as clear cut as people think; it doesn't really have any long climbs. And while NM is better suited to MvdP, I don't think he was anywhere near his top form - but still beat everybody else.
I think if both Pidcock and MvdP are in top form, it will be a lot closer.

And this weekend may tell us who else is a likely challenger...

Maybe a bit of a stretch to say gold is Pidcock's to lose. Beating MVDP at NM is a totally different proposition than beating MVDP on top race form - or for that matter anywhere close to it, which he wasn't at NM. Piddy goes backward fast (see SB) just like everyone else when an on form blows a race to pieces. Straight up, I don't see where Piddy has any advantage in a 90 minute race vs. MVDP, and especially not on a course like Tokyo. Think folks are reading way too much into the two MTB races they contested this spring.
I dunno, it’s all we have to go on, but Pidcock looked clearly superior on the XC long courses. I doubt that either was in optimal VTT shape, frankly.

Straight up, I don't see where Piddy has any advantage in a 90 minute race vs. MVDP, and especially not on a course like Tokyo.

Senna,
Is the Tokyo course relatively (for an MTB race) flat? Or is it the technical level that differ from the spring races?

Van der Poel should be at a slight disadvantage on steep technical climbs I guess while Piddles may be in trouble on power sections?

Technically they are at par on MTB aren’t they?

ps. The build up for the cyclocross season is fantastic. It is going to be very competitive racing.

Senna,
Is the Tokyo course relatively (for an MTB race) flat? Or is it the technical level that differ from the spring races?

Van der Poel should be at a slight disadvantage on steep technical climbs I guess while Piddles may be in trouble on power sections?

Technically they are at par on MTB aren’t they?

ps. The build up for the cyclocross season is fantastic. It is going to be very competitive racing.
There's some stuff on youtube about the course. From what I recall, there's no real sustained climbs and lots of man made tech features. It's certainly not a course that would give the smaller Pidcock a natural advantage. I think it's fair to say they are both great technically. My guess is it comes down to who comes in with better form (and good luck with no mechs) - which is a bit tricky for both of them given MVDP's schedule and Pidcock's collarbone issue. Bottom line to me though is that while Pidcock is a phenomenal talent, he's not MVDP. So if they are on equl form I don't see Pidcock being a favorite to beat MVDP in any bike race other than a mountain stage on the road...

TRENDING THREADS