• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The "MVP" Mathieu Van der Poel Road Discussion Thread

Page 98 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
just can't stand this guy. Not the first time he indirectly contributed to a crash by changing direction in the very last second despite seeing it early enough.
Yes, let's take a hand off the handlebars on the most difficult cobbled section while going full speed in wet conditions, I'm sure that would have worked out well.

What's the first time supposed to be anyway, Ronde van Vlaanderen? I thought people were blaming Van Aert for that one. But if you don't agree that one was on Van Aert, why is this one now on VdP and not on Colbrelli?

Favourite rider in the peloton apart from you-know-who. What a legendary bike racer. What I like about Mathieu apart from the obvious all-out-attack attitude he displays again and again in every race he enters is his incredible aesthetics. I cant exactly pinpoint what I exactly love about him, but I absolutely just love watching him riding his bike and that is something that I value a lot. I think its because it looks like he suffers and is just going all-in lots of the time, he looks labored, but does it so in style.

Chapeau Mathieu. There was a time when I think races were raced way, way too conservatively, but this is truly a new-wave that I can get fully behind (in sharp contrast to lots of other new-waves).

Favourite rider in the peloton apart from you-know-who. What a legendary bike racer. What I like about Mathieu apart from the obvious all-out-attack attitude he displays again and again in every race he enters is his incredible aesthetics. I cant exactly pinpoint what I exactly love about him, but I absolutely just love watching him riding his bike and that is something that I value a lot. I think its because it looks like he suffers and is just going all-in lots of the time, he looks labored, but does it so in style.

Chapeau Mathieu. There was a time when I think races were raced way, way too conservatively, but this is truly a new-wave that I can get fully behind (in sharp contrast to lots of other new-waves).
This. Finally someone feels the same way I feel and notices the beautiful aesthetics of Mathieu on the bike.

It's surely one of the reasons, he's one of my favourite bike riders. I mean, even if I'd admire guys like Colbrelli, Froome or even Roglic (random names that lack on-the-bike aesthetics imo) for their palmares, like their personalities etc, I could never call them my favourite ones just because of how they look riding their bikes.

This. Finally someone feels the same way I feel and notices the beautiful aesthetics of Mathieu on the bike.

It's surely one of the reasons, he's one of my favourite bike riders. I mean, even if I'd admire guys like Colbrelli, Froome or even Roglic (random names that lack on-the-bike aesthetics imo) for their palmares, like their personalities etc, I could never call them my favourite ones just because of how they look riding their bikes.
Oh yes. It gives me early Valverde Caisse d' Epargne-vibes. Rocking those short socks like nobody has done before or after. :cool:

Great to be an MVDP fan. If you're a real bike rider (meaning you ride more than just skinny tires) it's very hard not love this guy. Made up for less than optimal prep with sublime bike handling skills and standard balls to the wall approach. Who f'ing cares if his "tactics" aren't up to snuff with the pure roadies. As his old man alluded to, too bad the season is over and MVDP is probably just coming into form. Thinking he would have crushed the WC course with the short punchy climbs and maybe he rides away at PR if he had a bit more time to prep. Hats off to Cobrelli for a stellar win and one helluva a season.

And that's a part of what made riders such as Pantani and Vandenbroucke so idolised at their peak, they rode their bikes with such grace it was impossible not to be captivated, especially with VDB at his best.

What a rider! For anyone not familiar watch the 1999 LBL and Vuelta, and take notes.

Reactions: Volderke
Great to be an MVDP fan. If you're a real bike rider (meaning you ride more than just skinny tires) it's very hard not love this guy. Made up for less than optimal prep with sublime bike handling skills and standard balls to the wall approach. Who f'ing cares if his "tactics" aren't up to snuff with the pure roadies.
I'm starting to care, because he's my favorite rider in the peloton and I want him to win the big races.

Reactions: postpost

I don't get this. Have you seen him sprint up a climb? It's an explosive display of power & visual perfection. Really, it's one of the marvels of modern cycling (I could go on & on). Just ask Gino Mader (he called him an airplane in Paris-Nice). That & the low profile (feline, almost) position before jumping into action.

FYI I find MvdP also looks good on a bike (very powerful), but to put mention Roglic alongside the biggest eyesore in the history of the peloton (Froome), just no. I get personal preferences in terms of aesthetics matter, but Froome crossed a line into unchartered "argh what the hell am I watching!" territory.

Meh. I think 3rd is probably really good after that horrible preparation.

But still... if he was 100% or if he didn't do that much work.. but then again, if he didn't do that much work he wouldn't even have sprinted for the first place anyway.
Feel a bit like Sagan 2013-2015. Making the finals of big races but rarely winning because of it
Good performance, but all in all this feels like an underwhelming season for VdP. After his immense start in March with the great Strade Bianche victory and the insane TA-stage he hasn't any big wins in one day races. Losing the sprint in both RVV and PR and not being in peak form for a WCRR with a route thate should have fit him perfectly, is a bit substandard IMO. Hopefully he will ride a bit smarter tactically and prioritize the road racing the coming years. He should empty himself for a monument win, but not for a TA stage. And he could still do some cyclocross and MTB, but not if it could affect the road racing too much.

Last edited:
Rode a good race, and put himself in a place to win. But didn't. However, the form is starting to come....when the season is ending. An on form MvdP would probably have been able to get away, and make it stick.
I'm convinced the MvdP we saw at Strade Bianchi, would have won yesterday, and at Flanders. But he wasn't.

Hopefully he'll rest and recuperate before a return to CX in December.

He should empty himself for a monument win, but not for a TA stage. And he could still do some cyclocross and MTB, but not if it could affect the road racing too much.
I agree. He hasn't been the same since that TA stage where he went so deep to win this spring...in cold weather I believe. I hope he will now take a proper rest and focus on his core work for his back so he can get back to his spring Strade Bianchi form.

Good performance, but all in all this feels like an underwhelming season for VdP. After his immense start in March with the great Strade Bianche victory and the insane TA-stage he hasn't any big wins in one day races. Losing the sprint in both RVV and PR and not being in peak form for a WCRR with a route thate should have fit him perfectly, is a bit substandard IMO. Hopefully he will ride a bit smarter tactically and prioritize the road racing the coming years. He should empty himself for a monument win, but not for a TA stage. And he could still do some cyclocross and MTB, but not if it could affect the road racing too much.
I get it, but in a way I love the way guys like MVDP and WVA can't help themselves and go all in every time they line up - a race is a race. Makes for some awesome random weekday mornings watching them light up races like TA, Swiss, BB or Tour Britain. Same reason I hope they never give up CX - get to see them race a lot throughout the year. CX is probably the reason they have a hard time holding back. Really not much of a choice in that discipline. Truth is, if they both just focused on the Classics they would likely completely dominate everyone else. Do you really think Sonny Cobrelli is on the same straight up level as MVDP or WVA?

I get it, but in a way I love the way guys like MVDP and WVA can't help themselves and go all in every time they line up - a race is a race. Makes for some awesome random weekday mornings watching them light up races like TA, Swiss, BB or Tour Britain. Same reason I hope they never give up CX - get to see them race a lot throughout the year. CX is probably the reason they have a hard time holding back. Really not much of a choice in that discipline. Truth is, if they both just focused on the Classics they would likely completely dominate everyone else. Do you really think Sonny Cobrelli is on the same straight up level as MVDP or WVA?
What level? Physical level? no he he isn't. Tactical level? he's like a teacher with his pupil. Cycling is not only about dropping the watts bomb and waving goodbye to the other riders behind. Not in this tier of races at least. The difference in raw talent among these riders is very very very small, they are all super gifted athletes. Even if Van der Poel focused solely on road cycling he'd often find someone who can outsmart him or a superior team using numbers to beat him. He needs to start reading races a bit better, that's it.

TRENDING THREADS