• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The "MVP" Mathieu Van der Poel Road Discussion Thread

Page 158 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
One of the other options that the police probably thought about is, what will the parents do next if I don't go by the book with this International sports star - I'm sure the individual police officers wouldn't want there names in the local gossip rags for giving favourable treatment to celebrities and I'm certain their superiors wouldn't want that.
Possibly. Have the parents been mentioned in this case? I guess it wasn't the teens calling the police, it had to be some adults. Was it the hotel staff or some crazy helicopter parents insanely overprotective of their children? The latter would explain much of why this case ended up like it did..........

Reactions: jmdirt
Trying to find that video of him at home where he among other things talked about how no one of his friends, family or girlfriend enjoyed him when he had to be home resting for two weeks on the couch.

Someone knows where I can find it? I thought it was a video made by the team but I cannot find it again.

This whole thing is a joke at this point. It's pretty clear MVDP is the only loser here. Those girls weren't harmed or in danger because of MVDP. If anything, maybe they, and moreover their parents, learned a free lesson. Namely that it's probably not a good idea for young teenage girls to be running around "known party", near airport hotels banging on stranger's doors these days. Lots of worse characters out there than MVDP. And how in the hell can the Dutch team (maybe the best in world) not have better accommodations than this place? Too bad MVDP didn't take AVF's advice about where to stay, like he did about doing the doing the mixed relay. I hope MVDP goes all in and pulls something off at Lombardy. Unless some more verifiable evidence against him comes out (are there really no cameras in the hallway of this hotel?), this nonsense is done and dusted. Back to bike racing.

Reactions: jmdirt and Berniece
Jun 18, 2021
Visit site
Possibly. Have the parents been mentioned in this case? I guess it wasn't the teens calling the police, it had to be some adults. Was it the hotel staff or some crazy helicopter parents insanely overprotective of their children? The latter would explain much of why this case ended up like it did..........
Hotel staff called the police. Let’s face it, if some 27 year old man placed his hands on the daughter/s of anyone in this forum, he’d be lucky to escape without a broken arm. The prank was the sort of childish silly thing kids do. We have all probably done worse.

Hotel staff called the police. Let’s face it, if some 27 year old man placed his hands on the daughter/s of anyone in this forum, he’d be lucky to escape without a broken arm. The prank was the sort of childish silly thing kids do. We have all probably done worse.
Really? Let's face it, any parent worth a damn isn't allowing their 14-year old daughter to be wandering around a hotel at 10pm at night - let alone banging on stranger's doors. Not sure I would classify that as "the sort of childish silly thing kids do." Not really the same thing as "doorbell ditch" in the neighborhood.

Jun 18, 2021
Visit site
Really? Let's face it, any parent worth a damn isn't allowing their 14-year old daughter to be wandering around a hotel at 10pm at night - let alone banging on stranger's doors. Not sure I would classify that as "the sort of childish silly thing kids do." Not really the same thing as "doorbell ditch" in the neighborhood.
Actually it’s pretty much exactly the same as “doorbell ditch” just the hotel edition.

Thanks, that is the most detailed version of events I have seen. Looks like his girlfriend did try to ask them to stop first. I understand his frustration, but if accurate that is a very very poor choice of actions indeed.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: jmdirt and noob
We have all probably done worse.

As a teen I never deliberately and repeatedly berated and annoyed strangers. It's very poor behaviour. Being a teenager isn't an excuse for mistreating people deliberately.

Nonetheless, MvdP's reaction as reported is terribly foolish, inappropriate and yes, illegal. It is no wonder he has found himself in real trouble.

Last edited:
There is absolutely no bias in this article whatsoever :eek:;)

Honestly, this is a case of stupid multiplied by stupid. I feel badly for everyone involved, and I hope it's actually a learning experience (for vdP as well as the two teens) rather than something more negative and longer lasting or traumatic.

Actually it’s pretty much exactly the same as “doorbell ditch” just the hotel edition.
With the key variable being, a parent is much less likely to be aware of such actions if they're occurring outside the house (down the street, perhaps in an entirely different neighborhood) versus outside the hotel room door. Without more facts we don't know how present the parents were in this circumstance. I would like to think that if my kids, if we were all in a hotel, kept on heading outside the hotel room we were staying in, I would notice and put an end to it pretty quickly. But that assumes that a parent is able to notice what is happening.

With the key variable being, a parent is much less likely to be aware of such actions if they're occurring outside the house (down the street, perhaps in an entirely different neighborhood) versus outside the hotel room door. Without more facts we don't know how present the parents were in this circumstance. I would like to think that if my kids, if we were all in a hotel, kept on heading outside the hotel room we were staying in, I would notice and put an end to it pretty quickly. But that assumes that a parent is able to notice what is happening.
It’s most likely the parents were out at a bar or restaurant.

If that finalizes the court dealings—if he doesn’t have to come back for a trial and have to deal with that mentally and physically, and not interrupt his race or training schedule, then confessing was probably the right path to take (I’m speaking just in pragmatic terms for him and getting to his life, not the morality of his actions or the repercussions on those kids and their family, etc). Certainly he won’t consider it a loss to not be able to go back to Australia for 3 years. I do wonder if the family will file a civil suit against him for emotional damages, etc. If this was in the U.S. I’m certain the family, the hotel, and even the carpet would be sueing him after that admission.

Or seperate room, it’s not an uncommon thing that the parents are in one room and 2 teenagers in another.
Very true. And because there were the two girls, not one, it would be very normal (here in the U.S. anyways) once the family and kids are familiar with the hotel, for them to be moving about the hotel on their own—going to the pool, or the candy machine, etc. I travel for work a lot and it’s a familiar sight. But if the parents heard the hubbub after the first instance then I would hope they would monitor the situation more closely.

Jun 18, 2021
Visit site
If that finalizes the court dealings—if he doesn’t have to come back for a trial and have to deal with that mentally and physically, and not interrupt his race or training schedule, then confessing was probably the right path to take (I’m speaking just in pragmatic terms for him and getting to his life, not the morality of his actions or the repercussions on those kids and their family, etc). Certainly he won’t consider it a loss to not be able to go back to Australia for 3 years. I do wonder if the family will file a civil suit against him for emotional damages, etc. If this was in the U.S. I’m certain the family, the hotel, and even the carpet would be sueing him after that admission.
A potentially bigger issue is the complication a recorded conviction poses to his International travel plans.

TRENDING THREADS