• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The "MVP" Mathieu Van der Poel Road Discussion Thread

Page 163 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Again I pick up on details others doesn't; a 13 year old girl knocking and running on her own? No friends to accompany her on her prank? That's not how teenage girls operate normally. Teenage girls are always in groups.

Is someone operating her from her phone or is something not right with her intellect?

When Bling next goes to the Netherlands let their teenagers do the same to him.

I'm with Mathieu on this one.
Look what Australia does to visiting jet-lagged sports stars:
  1. Djokovic
  2. MVdP
  3. ????
Hostile environment!
And again, two entirely unrelated incidents conflated to try to present some overarching conspiracy or policy. Quite ridiculous.

• Haha
Reactions: TourOfSardinia
This world is going crazy. The fact these girls are filming there attempts to make someone go crazy and cross the line so they can call the police is proof that being an absolute terrible person is getting rewarded.
I have no intention to defend the girls, but there is no merit in making such an unfounded accusation against them either. Kids record things because they think it is funny. The idea that you know that they did so specifically so that they could denounce him to the police is quite ridiculous.

Who's filming if the other sister in in his room? Are three girls involved? I'm now so confused.

They are 3 sisters. The older one was in the room, the other two in the prank.

This is generation TikTok, they film everything just to get a reaction on social media. Wouldn't be surprised they were filming, even without knowing who was in that room, just to upload the prank on social media to get reactions.

They are 3 sisters. The older one was in the room, the other two in the prank.

This is generation TikTok, they film everything just to get a reaction on social media. Wouldn't be surprised they were filming, even without knowing who was in that room, just to upload the prank on social media to get reactions.
to be fair "happy slapping" was a thing like 20 years ago. Kids have been doing stupid *** and filming it literally since video cameras were available.

I may be in the minority here but MvdP handled this situation about as badly as anyone could have. The only question in my mind is how long he should be suspended by the UCI, and/or Alpecin and the Dutch fédération. Those trying to somehow shift blame for his own bad judgment to Australian police, bad parenting, nationalism, Novak Djokavic, social media, his girlfriend, his coaches, the hotel staff, and God knows what all are missing the point. There were about a dozen offramps for him in this scenario and he didn't take any of them.

Best thing for him to do at this point is to apologize profusely and often, to the family, his Dutch teammates, Alpecin and cycling in general, take a suspension and move on.

I may be in the minority here but MvdP handled this situation about as badly as anyone could have. The only question in my mind is how long he should be suspended by the UCI, and/or Alpecin and the Dutch fédération. Those trying to somehow shift blame for his own bad judgment to Australian police, bad parenting, nationalism, Novak Djokavic, social media, his girlfriend, his coaches, the hotel staff, and God knows what all are missing the point. There were about a dozen offramps for him in this scenario and he didn't take any of them.

Best thing for him to do at this point is to apologize profusely and often, to the family, his Dutch teammates, Alpecin and cycling in general, take a suspension and move on.

Why should UCI punish him? The team, ok, they are free to do whatever they choose to preserve their image as NL federation if they have some behavioural regulations either (normally they can have but mostly to address night outs, drinking, partying, etc.), but this is a matter for civil courts as it was done outside of a cycling race. If the court decides to fine up, to lock him up or whatever the law says, that's admissible, but UCI shouldn't do anything above their competences, as civil courts ruling are not acceptable in most cases above TAS rulings either.

Reactions: Roku
You're absolutely right in about how MVP handled the situation could have been otherwise given media, legal and sports backlash but that doesn't mean he wasn't right to boil over.

Again, I don't want to live in a world where people - and this forum is full of them - confuse the legal system with what is proper for a human being to behave in a given situation. Then someone pops and

Reactions: Kwibus
Why should UCI punish him? The team, ok, they are free to do whatever they choose to preserve their image, but this is a matter for civil courts as it was done outside of a cycling race. If the court decides to fine up, to lock him up or whatever the law says, that's admissible, but UCI shouldn't do anything above their competences, as civil courts ruling are not acceptable in most cases above TAS rulings either.
Assault is not a civil matter, it's criminal. The UCI have a code of Ethics that all licence holders fall under, it would absolutely be within their right to do something if they saw fit.

• Wow
Reactions: noob

TRENDING THREADS