• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The "MVP" Mathieu Van der Poel Road Discussion Thread

Page 169 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
As I challenged Elos Anjos earlier, quote one poster here who has said at all that the kids were right to do what they did, or should be 'on a pedestal', or admit that you are misrepresenting us.
The question was for rhetorical effect, so no need to get your feathers ruffled. MvdP acted stupidly. He should not have taken matters into his own hands, but sought out help from hotel management-But the example the mother set for her kid's behavior is cringeworthy. I foresee a future generation of adults with a sense of entitlement, who believe they have every right with no reponsibility.

• Sad
Reactions: jmdirt and noob
Meanwhile Australian news title makes his look like a stalker.

"Cyclist ‘waited and chased’ teen girls as disturbing new details of alleged hotel attack revealed"

That's the real definition of fake news. No wonder cyclists is Anglo Saxon countries are so discriminated and frowned upon.

Who is 'his'? The only way you can identify that person is because you went into it thinking that it was a tour d france cyclist. That might be the kids' dad for all we know. The girl at the door is clearly acting/faking. That video is as fake as fake gets.
cyclist tan lines, buzz haircut, wearing a (can't remember the name, those watches that record sleep need and recovery, mainly promoted by EF, Woosh or something...)

• Haha
  • Wow
Okay, so now a relatively young, highly accomplished (through hard work and dedication) person with absolutely no know history of anything other than very respectful and appreciative behavior towards others had a lapse of judgement dealing with a difficult situation that was brought upon him. In this wonderful age of social media he will pay the price of having his reputation permanently (perhaps) damaged. From here it will be very interesting to see the next moves of the parents who are ultimately responsible for kicking off this whole pathetic chain of events.

How are the parents responsible?
Do you believe that 14 year olds should be under constant visual supervision?
Do you believe that 14 year olds are incapable of acting against their parents' wishes/values/instructions?
Did 14 year old you never act against your parents' wishes/values/instructions?
Would you ignore an adult male entering your teenage daughter's (substitute sister/niece/cousin as necessary) room in underwear and causing them injury (even if slight)?

The enthusiasm of people to be judgemental over issues in which they have almost no factual knowledge is frankly depressing.

• Haha
I am very surprised at all the comments I read everywhere. Now I can understand to a certain degree that people put a small part of the blame on the parents, the children, the hotel. But I can’t understand that people would lie most of the blame or the entirety of it on anyone else but van der Poel.

Children do these childish things sometimes. I remember that when I was 10-14 my friends and me used to to a lot of childish things that could annoy people. I think in my fathers time children where even worse. And when you would get caught you would receive a stern talking to or a punishment and you would learn from it again until you did the next stupid thing. It’s the way you learn boundaries when you are not fully grown.

However one way an adult should never reprimand a child is by running into their hotel room half naked and push the child to the ground. It is just a very stupid thing to do as a response, even if I understand the build up in frustration by not being able to sleep.

But with van der poel being the adult in this situation he should have been the one to find a solution to deescalate the situation by doing something different than he did. And with him being a top sporter he had many more solutions than a regular person would have had. Because besides calling the hotel reception he could have approached the Dutch federation and/or Alpecin teams staff to solve the situation for him.

Do you believe that 14 year olds should be under constant visual supervision?
Do you believe that 14 year olds are incapable of acting against their parents' wishes/values/instructions?
Did 14 year old you never act against your parents' wishes/values/instructions?
Would you ignore an adult male entering your teenage daughter's (substitute sister/niece/cousin as necessary) room in underwear and causing them injury (even if slight)?

The enthusiasm of people to be judgemental over issues in which they have almost no factual knowledge is frankly depressing.

According to the older sister they were known to play this game often, and the parents didn't care. That's the problem. If you have had an upbringing of respect you are unlikely to do this, and certainly less likely to push it so far.

That's the fail to me, not a moment of failure but years of it.

Also, clearly the mum was in a nearby room. The game didn't look very quiet. Even if they were apparently supposed to be watching a horror movie. And they were already asked to stop by an adult. This had been going on a while.

Doesn't excuse MvdP at all. And he is still paying for his wrong choice and behaviour. But let's not pretend this is acceptable behaviour, because "children".

I also fail to see how identifying themselves and doing media is helping their kids/family. Even if they are upset and disputing the MvdP narrative

Last edited:
To be honest, I don't think he has much confidence in the KNWU staff. They didn't even went with him to the police station, I think it was Roodhooft (who was in another hotel and was called).
They also seem to have been unable to locate Wollongong on a map :sweatsmile:

I suppose a once a year team cobbled together is always going to be a bit haphazard. The world champs has a general return to amaturism vibe to it across the board.

• Sad
Reactions: noob
I am very surprised at all the comments I read everywhere. Now I can understand to a certain degree that people put a small part of the blame on the parents, the children, the hotel. But I can’t understand that people would lie most of the blame or the entirety of it on anyone else but van der Poel.

Children do these childish things sometimes. I remember that when I was 10-14 my friends and me used to to a lot of childish things that could annoy people. I think in my fathers time children where even worse. And when you would get caught you would receive a stern talking to or a punishment and you would learn from it again until you did the next stupid thing. It’s the way you learn boundaries when you are not fully grown.

However one way an adult should never reprimand a child is by running into their hotel room half naked and push the child to the ground. It is just a very stupid thing to do as a response, even if I understand the build up in frustration by not being able to sleep.

But with van der poel being the adult in this situation he should have been the one to find a solution to deescalate the situation by doing something different than he did. And with him being a top sporter he had many more solutions than a regular person would have had. Because besides calling the hotel reception he could have approached the Dutch federation and/or Alpecin teams staff to solve the situation for him.
Because it was going on for 3 hours... There is being childish, and then harassing someone. That line was definitely passed, and just because you are 14 years old you don't get a free pass.

By setting the example that harassing people is not okay, especially when they tell you to stop. What if they do it to the wrong person and they get killed, raped, kidnapped, or beat up. My parents would have grounded me and made me stand in the corner with my hands up. My fiancés would have gave her a spanking. There’s things the parents can do to show that the behavior isn’t okay or acceptable.

• Wow
Because it was going on for 3 hours... There is being childish, and then harassing someone. That line was definitely passed, and just because you are 14 years old you don't get a free pass.

Of course three hours is way too long. But, when I was young (Ok, agreed a bit younger than 14) we also used to ring bells in our neighborhood from time to time. And of course the most interesting houses where the ones where people lived who responded very annoyed. The reaction is what made it fun.

Now for the people being 'harassed', if they didn't respond at all the fun was over quite quick and we tried it at the next house. If they responded and we continued they could have gone to the parents of the children to try and correct the behavior. In van der Poels case it was also possible to call the hotel reception. It was also possible to call people at the KNWU to solve the problem for him. And it was possible to call people and Alpecin to solve the problem for him.

But he didn't do any of that, and instead he chased some girls into their own hotel room and pushed one of them to the ground. Now in terms of passing a line, that is definitely the worse line to pass. You just do not make that decision to chase children into their own hotel room and get slightly physical with them.

Reactions: noob
Of course three hours is way too long. But, when I was young (Ok, agreed a bit younger than 14) we also used to ring bells in our neighborhood from time to time. And of course the most interesting houses where the ones where people lived who responded very annoyed. The reaction is what made it fun.

Now for the people being 'harassed', if they didn't respond at all the fun was over quite quick and we tried it at the next house. If they responded and we continued they could have gone to the parents of the children to try and correct the behavior. In van der Poels case it was also possible to call the hotel reception. It was also possible to call people at the KNWU to solve the problem for him. And it was possible to call people and Alpecin to solve the problem for him.

But he didn't do any of that, and instead he chased some girls into their own hotel room and pushed one of them to the ground. Now in terms of passing a line, that is definitely the worse line to pass. You just do not make that decision to chase children into their own hotel room and get slightly physical with them.

Just because you were a right idiot when you were a kid doesn't excuse these idiots.

Just because you were a right idiot when you were a kid doesn't excuse these idiots.

Lol, be a bit more respectful mate. With your saint like standards.
Children ringing doorbells once in a while, makes them idiots..
Really hope you don't have any children yourself, cause it must be horrible growing up with a father like you.
Probably they will end up behind screens at the age of 6 the entire day, telling the whole world how to behave better instead of playing outside once in a while.

• Wow
Reactions: noob and SHAD0W93
Lol, be a bit more respectful mate. With your saint like standards.
Children ringing doorbells once in a while, makes them idiots..
Really hope you don't have any children yourself, cause it must be horrible growing up with a father like you.
Probably they will end up behind screens at the age of 6 the entire day, telling the whole world how to behave better instead of playing outside once in a while.
There’s a difference between ringing a doorbell once or twice and repeatedly doing it.

Reactions: jmdirt

TRENDING THREADS