• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The "MVP" Mathieu Van der Poel Road Discussion Thread

Page 189 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Wout hasn’t had a single week under 400km since October and that’s all the further back we can see. He manages to be one of the highest volume riders while also being one of the biggest and still keeps the intensity and explosiveness as if he’s fresh. Wouldn’t be a surprise if MVDP somehow manages to one up him in the coming races but I really think this is Wout’s year to clean up on big wins, if there ever will be.

The last few weeks I've seen several articles saying WVA needs to win PR or RVV this year as if this is going to be his last year at top level. I feel like people are exaggerating, both WVA and MVDP still have more than 5 years to win big races. Even if they were to lose some explosiveness in the later stages of their careers, they would still be able to win big races just like Cancellara or Boonen. Both have exceptional engines and that isn't going to change untill they decide to retire.

I know I'm expecting way too much, but I have this vision of the cross worlds being a battle from lap one, kicking bits of each other all race, and then a two up sprint for the line.
I'd like to see a close battle but I don't like it when sprints are decisive in a CX finale. I'd prefer to see a finishing move on a draggy or technical section before the pavement.

He went and did it

FoNnzV9XkAMp076

View: https://twitter.com/Xauli_Colollet/status/1622254708499824642?s=20&t=iTqaWluI0xBDsn57U3Oy8g

I also noticed Mathieu‘s shoulders have deteriorated a little bit (they‘re still good, though).

His back, however, has really improved. He now has a broad, muscular, powerful back. This will be good for his spine, which often caused him pain.

Apparently Mathieu spent his last months, after season break, in the gym. He probably only did deadlifts there.

(I‘d say he did 5-6 hrs of deadlifts, a day. Plus 45 mins on the indoor bike. Perfect preparation for CX WCs!… ;-) ) grin

Hoping that this is the start of a great season for Van der Poel. Above the classics and the Tour, I think this could be his golden opportunity of winning the road World Championships.
its also that the back issues only plagued him in cx. he didn't have a problem in road trainings anymore or in his personal life. He did have that before. So hopefully he can finally have a consistent road season.

Just looking at this again and the craziest thing to me is that after unleashing what must have been close to a 20s 1000W sprint, enough to gap no less than WvA, he was still fresh and nimble enough to look back, take his hands of the bars, do a pose, and scream. How? Just how?
He's a part cyborg created by the Poulidor family with the sole purpose of vengeance on the entire sport of cycling :cool:

There was an update to his schedule that now also includes E3. They are clearly going for a quality over quantity approach this season.

04-03 Strade Bianche
06-03 - 12-03 Tirreno-Adriatico
18-03 Milano-Sanremo
24-03 E3 Saxo Classic
02-04 Ronde van Vlaanderen
09-04 Paris-Roubaix
11-06 - 18-06 Tour de Suisse
01-07 - 23-07 Tour de France
06-08 UCI World Championships - Road Race

There was an update to his schedule that now also includes E3. They are clearly going for a quality over quantity approach this season.

04-03 Strade Bianche
06-03 - 12-03 Tirreno-Adriatico
18-03 Milano-Sanremo
24-03 E3 Saxo Classic
02-04 Ronde van Vlaanderen
09-04 Paris-Roubaix
11-06 - 18-06 Tour de Suisse
01-07 - 23-07 Tour de France
06-08 UCI World Championships - Road Race

Sagan-esque schedule apart from no Gent-Wevelgem and no Tour of California.

Reactions: Sandisfan