• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The "MVP" Mathieu Van der Poel Road Discussion Thread

Page 191 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I kind've like when he goes dark - adds a bit of mystery. For all the criticism he gets about being "unprofessional", he also has a reputation for being able to handle huge training loads. You have to be massively strong to put someone of WVA's freakish caliber under pressure from the word go in a one hour race. If everything has gone smoothly (for the first time in while) since Hoogerheide, we could very well see full MVDP beast mode on display at SB. Too bad Pogi won't be there to take his turn in the pain closet.

I kind've like when he goes dark - adds a bit of mystery. For all the criticism he gets about being "unprofessional", he also has a reputation for being able to handle huge training loads. You have to be massively strong to put someone of WVA's freakish caliber under pressure from the word go in a one hour race. If everything has gone smoothly (for the first time in while) since Hoogerheide, we could very well see full MVDP beast mode on display at SB. Too bad Pogi won't be there to take his turn in the pain closet.

It's possible, but he's only had three race days since dropping out of the TDF. And although he was improving this winter, still not near his 20 or 21 form?

Hope he's back to somewhere near his best as I much prefer watching him on the road to CX. He has to be a bit more tactical, but will always try to animate a race in a way few other riders do.

Van der Poel emerges from the darkness, on the white roads of Italy, courtesy of his team:

334062636_125370187137143_2259896369509394120_n.jpg

I'm still waiting for a peak classics season by Van der Poel. There are and have been better riders in total (like Pogacar at the moment), but I'm not sure if I've ever seen a rider with a higher top level in a specific type of races, that is the races with short and steep hills like Strade, RVV, etc. Van der Poel is able to win about all races from Strade to Amstel. It is of course almost impossible to sustain a peak form that long but winning 2 monuments (2 of MSR, RVV and PR) and a couple of semi-classics in one spring classics season should be possible.

It's possible, but he's only had three race days since dropping out of the TDF. And although he was improving this winter, still not near his 20 or 21 form?

Hope he's back to somewhere near his best as I much prefer watching him on the road to CX. He has to be a bit more tactical, but will always try to animate a race in a way few other riders do.
I wouldn't be much worried about that. Last year he was able to cover all Pogi's and WvA's attacks on Poggio after like 3 weeks of proper training and the whole winter ruined by his back problems. Two weeks later he won Dwars door Vlaanderen and De Ronde, then was 4th at Amstel and 9th at Roubaix.

He raced 15 CX races this winter, so in terms of "racing legs" he's better in that regard than most of the riders starting on Saturday.

I'm still waiting for a peak classics season by Van der Poel. There are and have been better riders in total (like Pogacar at the moment), but I'm not sure if I've ever seen a rider with a higher top level in a specific type of races, that is the races with short and steep hills like Strade, RVV, etc. Van der Poel is able to win about all races from Strade to Amstel. It is of course almost impossible to sustain a peak form that long but winning 2 monuments (2 of MSR, RVV and PR) and a couple of semi-classics in one spring classics season should be possible.
Indeed. 2019 showed what a near-peak MVDP could do (winning Denain, Dwars, Brabantse Pijl and Amstel, and 4th in Gent-Wevelgem and 4th in the Ronde where he was probably the strongest rider). MVDP in 2020 won his one target of the fall-spring classics season in a year where much of the early season would have been geared towards Tokyo 2020. 2021 and 2022, despite some big wins in each year, were disappointing due to a variety of factors that we can all list.

Jumbo-Visma, as a group, are probably a more formidable opponent than any other classics team of the last few years but his Alpecin squad is probably also better support than he's enjoyed previously as well.

Was expecting more but I don't think this result is of any concern.

When he blitzed this race in 2021 he already had started on the UAE Tour (only did a stage, but it was a big effort in the crosswinds) and did KBK (big long solo) and Le Samyn, so he had already hard racing miles in the legs and should be in a better condition.

Let's see if he shows more in Tirreno to see whether or not we should be concerned for Sanremo.

Well, you never really know what you might get with MVDP given he can deliver the spectacular when it's not really logical. But today's race probably says he is right on track to be good at RVV and PR - versus '21 when he was clearly lesser at RVV than at SB and TA. Probably got a serious training effect today and he'll build properly from here. Fanboys like me want to see him win everything, but I'll take the CX World Championships (will probably go down as the best bike race of '23) and a nice build towards a RVV/PR double with maybe a SR thrown in for good measure and call it a good first half of '23. Then throw in a Yellow jersey and a Road WC and it's all good. Of course it will still be a bit disappointing that we don't get to see him tear it up on the MTB, but you have to be realistic, no?

Last edited:
Well, you never really know what you might get with MVDP given he can deliver the spectacular when it's not really logical. But today's race probably says he is right on track to be good at RVV and PR - versus '21 when he was clearly lesser at RVV than at SB and TA. Probably got a serious training effect today and he'll build properly from here. Fanboys like me want to see him win everything, but I'll take the CX World Championships (will probably go down as the best bike race of '23) and a nice build towards a RVV/PR double with maybe a SR thrown in for good measure and call it a good first half of '23. Then throw in a Yellow jersey and a Road WC and it's all good. Of course it will still be a bit disappointing that we don't get to see him tear it up on the MTB, but you have to be realistic, no?
That CX race was nice and all but not even his most exciting CX race this year. Hopefully he uses TA to build and doesn’t go overboard and is in perfect shape by Flanders.

I mean, he took a month off, if anything I'd say he lacked racing endurance. Going from hour long cyclocross races to doing long training rides isn't going to quite cut it. Tirreno-Adriatico should help a ton with this. I am just glad he didn't try to go as deep as possible to catch up to Pidcock, the fatigue from that level of ride likely would've cut into the adaptations T-A will help with.

I mean, he took a month off, if anything I'd say he lacked racing endurance. Going from hour long cyclocross races to doing long training rides isn't going to quite cut it. Tirreno-Adriatico should help a ton with this. I am just glad he didn't try to go as deep as possible to catch up to Pidcock, the fatigue from that level of ride likely would've cut into the adaptations T-A will help with.

You don't ride Strade if you're not prepared to ride hard. He didn't catch up to Pidcock because he couldn't.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS