• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The "MVP" Mathieu Van der Poel Road Discussion Thread

Page 193 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Yeah, it's funny how MVDP just seems a bit out of place in the "peloton" in general. Seems like he much prefers CX and MTB to the road - other than when it becomes straight up mano y mano. All the dicking around and square dancing they do on the stages like today don't seem to suit his temperament. If the form builds and he feels it, he probably won't be able to help himself on Thursday and will blow things up.

Interesting observation. Guess he is very used to leave the pack behind and go off by himself or together with a few other strong riders. Now yesterday's lead out was very chaotic so really no wonder that he may have looked a little square (lots of riders did strange stuff yesterday) and also I am in awe of those that can keep their cool and do the right moves.

Yeah, I was hoping tomorrow would be a puncheur day but I don't see it - I think it's pure GC. Roglic wins these in his sleep.

Think if MvdP has a go, it's stage 6.

But yes, bravo on the picture perfect lead out today. I was going to say if he dropped the #2 guy yesterday that's on the team. Looks like the coaches saw the same and moved him to lead out.

Reactions: Sandisfan

I believe he is being about as sincere here as Wout was when he claimed that illness disrupted his training camp (he still rode every day), which is to say there is likely a kernel of truth, but not something you'd admit if you actually think your spring is about to go poorly. Fans of both riders in CX know that taking their statements about their own form in the Belgian press during 'cross season at face value is a mug's game.

I believe he is being about as sincere here as Wout was when he claimed that illness disrupted his training camp (he still rode every day), which is to say there is likely a kernel of truth, but not something you'd admit if you actually think your spring is about to go poorly. Fans of both riders in CX know that taking their statements about their own form in the Belgian press during 'cross season at face value is a mug's game.
So in which part exactly according to you, MvdP is insincere?
He's bluffing, because in fact he didn't hope to be any better at Strade and Tirreno and everything goes with the plan or is there something insincere in stating that doing full CX campaign with its biggest goal being very close to the road season possibly compromises your road season preparations?

I really don't think MvdP enjoys the grind of road racing. I think he will retire at an earlier age than most elite cyclists...if he can afford it.
Guessing MVDP could retire today and not have any money problems. That said, I could see him retiring from bike racing while still young enough to try his hand at elite motor racing in some category. Maybe 24 hour Le Mans type stuff. Definitely seems to have a bit of a penchant for the more extreme stuff that requires you to be on the limit/ragged edge more of the time than road bike racing.

So in which part exactly according to you, MvdP is insincere?
He's bluffing, because in fact he didn't hope to be any better at Strade and Tirreno and everything goes with the plan or is there something insincere in stating that doing full CX campaign with its biggest goal being very close to the road season possibly compromises your road season preparations?
Call me cynical, but I don't believe anything a rider says about their form leading up to the biggest goals of their season. They stand to gain nothing from being honest.

I also don't know what people were expecting from him at Tirreno. He was decent in the TT, provided two perfect lead-outs, was too strong in another, and then failed to make an impression on days where the podiums featured Yates (stage 4) and TGH (5 and 6). Those names suggest none of these were stages where MVDP was ever likely to win or make a real impression.

Strade Bianche seems like it would have been a legitimate disappointment, but also his first racing day of the season. As was the case during CX, his biggest hurdle at the moment is the lack of racing in his legs going back to last summer. Would this situation be improved by skipping the cyclocross and doing one of the desert races? Maybe, but it seems a joyless way to go about things.

Last edited:
It's been 4 years since MvdP was a machine in the 2019 season. Now he's human with a great day here and there but plenty more bad days on the bike.

And back then cross was no problem. After winning the Worlds, he kept on racing in the end of season races until the 17th of February and 4 days later was racing Tour of Antalya. A month break between Antalya and Nokere Koerse and a 6 weeks break from racing (with altitude camps in between) before Nové Mesto and Les Gets was all the rest he had between cross season and Yorkshire worlds.

Maybe the cross season is not a problem to be in shape for the Flanders classics period but it is for the italian spring period.

Reactions: Axel Hangleck