• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The "MVP" Mathieu Van der Poel Road Discussion Thread

Page 194 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
he was good enough in cx worlds. I guess he peaked a bit more for CX worlds than Van Aert. So VDP first has to go "off" that peak with a week rest and then rebuild for spring.
While vna Aert was already building for spring and rode CX in not optimal form but with the road in mind.

Hence the difference now. I don't see it so bad for VDP yet for the flanders classics. But MSR will be too soon

Due to injury and other circumstances (poor management from his team -- Giro/Tour double??), he hasn't been properly prepared for his big targets since prior to Olympics 2021. As one who believes bike racing is more interesting when he is racing well, I hope this season, which looks to have a better sequence of training and targets, will represent a return to 2019/early 2020 form.

he was good enough in cx worlds. I guess he peaked a bit more for CX worlds than Van Aert. So VDP first has to go "off" that peak with a week rest and then rebuild for spring.
While vna Aert was already building for spring and rode CX in not optimal form but with the road in mind.

Hence the difference now. I don't see it so bad for VDP yet for the flanders classics. But MSR will be too soon
Do you think riders even “peak” (an overused term anyways) for MSR the way they would for the cobbled classics? It’s just one race rather than a series of races, and it’s such a crapshoot that even when a rider is absolutely the strongest (Cancellara, Sagan some of those years) they still only have a small chance of winning. It seems the more likely issue is whether a rider is willing to take a brief break in their buildup to RVV/PR to be fresh enough to have a shot at MSR.

Do you think riders even “peak” (an overused term anyways) for MSR the way they would for the cobbled classics? It’s just one race rather than a series of races, and it’s such a crapshoot that even when a rider is absolutely the strongest (Cancellara, Sagan some of those years) they still only have a small chance of winning. It seems the more likely issue is whether a rider is willing to take a brief break in their buildup to RVV/PR to be fresh enough to have a shot at MSR.
You don't need a peak for Sanremo. It's a really fresh effort, which means you only need the short efforts trained but not really the super high fatigue resistance.

Last year MvdP came back cold at MSR and got 3rd.

Thanks, that’s what I was thinking.
I feel like just because Sanremo is the longest race a lot of people mistakenly believe it's the one that needs the most endurance. You really don't. The watts in the first hours of Sanremo are absurdly low.

MvdP in Ronde:
  • 338 W
    Weighted Avg Power
  • 6,753 kJ
    Total Work
    Training Load
  • 77%

MvdP in Sanremo

• 306.81 km
    Distance
  • 6:50:25
    Moving Time
  • 1,829 m
    Elevation
    Massive Relative Effort
  • 293 W
    Weighted Avg Power
  • 5,941 kJ
    Total Work
    Training Load
  • 67%
Literally only like 85% of the total work load in Sanremo compared to Ronde.

Last edited:
I feel like just because Sanremo is the longest race a lot of people mistakenly believe it's the one that needs the most endurance. You really don't. The watts in the first hours of Sanremo are absurdly low.

MvdP in Ronde:
  • 338 W
    Weighted Avg Power
  • 6,753 kJ
    Total Work
    Training Load
  • 77%
MvdP in Sanremo

• 306.81 km
    Distance
  • 6:50:25
    Moving Time
  • 1,829 m
    Elevation
    Massive Relative Effort
  • 293 W
    Weighted Avg Power
  • 5,941 kJ
    Total Work
    Training Load
  • 67%
Literally only like 85% of the total work load in Sanremo compared to Ronde.
So if that's true (and I believe it is: you never hear them complain how tough MSR is, you only ever hear them complain how tedious the first 75% is) than it really is only about being in the front 5 near the top of the Poggio nowadays. So positioning.
Because well organized chases seem to be a thing of the past here.

So if that's true (and I believe it is: you never hear them complain how tough MSR is, you only ever hear them complain how tedious the first 75% is) than it really is only about being in the front 5 near the top of the Poggio nowadays. So positioning.
Because well organized chases seem to be a thing of the past here.
I heared Van Avermaet complain once it was no use attacking on the Poggio because the first 285km had been too easy. Basically there's no endurance element to sitting in the peloton on a flat road.

I think the bad chase is more the short distance to the finish. Do you ever see a good chase in other races in the final 2km that didn't happen before?

If Philipsen is still a part of the front group when they enter the last quarter of the Poggio, which would be the tactic that will give, in theory, the best outcome for the team?

a) have SKA or MVDP in an attacking role to create a small group that would stick to the finish, leaving Philipsen following wheels by himself;
b) have MVDP in that role and SKA close to Philipsen so he could tow him back in the flat towards VDP if the move doesn't work;
c) keep all three quiet so they could end the descent together and form a mini lead-out in the last k's

Reactions: Sandisfan
If Philipsen is still a part of the front group when they enter the last quarter of the Poggio, which would be the tactic that will give, in theory, the best outcome for the team?

a) have SKA or MVDP in an attacking role to create a small group that would stick to the finish, leaving Philipsen following wheels by himself;
b) have MVDP in that role and SKA close to Philipsen so he could tow him back in the flat towards VDP if the move doesn't work;
c) keep all three quiet so they could end the descent together and form a mini lead-out in the last k's
I don’t really recall that kind of tactical thinking being part of San Remo. It’s more like someone (Alaphilippe, MVDP, Pog, etc) puts in a vicious attack in the top 1/3 of the Poggio, another rider perhaps counters and then whoever has the legs that day hangs on. Sometimes a couple of riders might close a small gap to the first group right at the top of the climb and the beginning of the descent. And that’s the finishing group. It seems like the only team strategy is to make sure the team leaders are very close to the front when the attacks start. Or perhaps like UAE last year, pushing the pace on the Cipressa, though that didn’t seem like much of a factor that I remember.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Wait a minute, I thought WVA (along with MVDP) stated pretty clearly at the start of the CX season that the only race that mattered was the WC? Then the week of the race Wout hedges and downplays (after getting smoked the week prior)? Meanwhile, MVDP (who clearly has more of champion/winner mentality) says straight up nothing but winning is good enough - and then goes out and gets the job done. MVDP has plenty of time to get right for RVV and PR - as does Wout. So why exactly wasn't Wout peaking for CX Worlds? Bottom line is that was a HUGE race for both of them given the head to head nature and build up - and per usual, MVDP came out on top when it mattered most.

I just noticed Sbaragli rides as domestique for Mathieu tomorrow.

Sbaragli was Ciolek‘s domestique when Ciolek won THIS great(est) edition of Sanremo in 2013, in epic conditions.

Now ten years later, another time for Sbaragli to celebrate? He‘s a really good rider himself, just to be at the startline tomorrow. Of course he‘s Italian which helps here, but he proved he‘s strong, more than once.