• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The "MVP" Mathieu Van der Poel Road Discussion Thread

Page 205 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Which could have been the case.

* man, not knowing * like this is so god damn frustrating. Give me a 30 min climb at 10% and no wind in July, then I know whos strongest. Not like this
dude u pretty much have their entire careers to look at if you really wanted....and MVDP came out on top you dont have more 1v1 to go from than this two....what u on about lol stop making up things in ur head 10 years of results should tell you all you need to know honestly what more you need?

- The end becoming boring to find narratives which arent there....i myself woulda been more afraid of pedersen than van aert which i suspect mvdp also was.

dude u pretty much have their entire careers to look at if you really wanted....and MVDP came out on top you dont have more 1v1 to go from than this two....what u on about lol stop making up things in ur head 10 years of results should tell you all you need to know honestly what more you need?

- The end becoming boring to find narratives which arent there....i myself woulda been more afraid of pedersen than van aert which i suspect mvdp also was.
Please dude, I am a fan of MVP too and I think he is the better rider when it matters but give WVA's fans some rest and time to cope with this loss. It wasn't fair and square like last week and it is hard to accept a flat tyre prevent your favourite rider from, at least, fighting for the win in the most beautiful race in the world (for me of course).

MVDP has 4 monuments now Boonen finished with 7 and MVDP only raced very few years in road cycling and 2 second places to his name in flandern too there really isnt anyone else close to him just has that next lvl and gear noone matches which he enters in big races. (Pogacar is a freak of nature goes without saying)

and seems he has becomed stronger than before after finishing his first GT's )atleast thats the word on the streets from the former pros and evidently which this classic campaign also clearly showed!

Last edited:
Reactions: jmdirt
Please dude, I am a fan of MVP too and I think he is the better rider when it matters but give WVA's fans some rest and time to cope with this loss. It wasn't fair and square like last week and it is hard to accept a flat tyre prevent your favourite rider from, at least, fighting for the win in the most beautiful race in the world (for me of course).
i get it wrote in Van group about it but i suspect MVDP was clearly the strongest today out of everyone! it is sad for Van Aert ofc and i feel for him as paris roubaix is the one place where he can compete vs MVDP and he was unlucky no doubt about it but that doesnt change the fact and amount of work MVDP did with 90km to do and still have that much left, crazy stuff.

For me flandern is the most beatiful as for the one reason we saw today PR has more roulette elements in it vs flandern it just has, both races are epic tho...Ofc Van Aert is allowed to feel down now I totally get that, terible luck at terrible timing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cookster15
Absolutely brilliant classics season for Van der Poel. Two maiden monument wins in MSR and Paris Roubaix and 2nd in Flanders where he already won twice. Crazy first part of the season for him with the CX World title too.

Yep, absolutely amazing how different the world looks now compared to 90 days ago.

Back in January, his back was playing up again. Wout had beaten him easily in two sand crosses. The Wollongong incident was still fresh in everyone's minds. The Tour de France had been a disaster.

It seemed WvA had finally overtaken him, even in CX. All due to Jumbo's superb scientific approach, people said. MvdP's peak was either behind us (according to Bruyneel), or he should move to a different team than the amateurs of Alpecin (according toThomas Dekker).

Then in Hoogerheide MvdP was suddenly back to his supreme Wout-killing best. 9 weeks later, he's fulfilled all his spring dreams.

Can't wait for the Tour and the World's.

That said...for some reason I felt more elated about MvdP's San Remo win than about this one.

Perhaps because it was more unexpected (after his doubtful Tirreno and Strade), perhaps because there was less luck involved, perhaps because Pog was there, perhaps because there was more peak drama in 15 mins, perhaps because dominance gets old quickly. But overall it seems like a more glorious win., somehow.

That said...for some reason I felt more elated about MvdP's San Remo win than about this one.

Perhaps because it was more unexpected (after his doubtful Tirreno and Strade), perhaps because there was less luck involved, perhaps because Pog was there, perhaps because there was more peak drama in 15 mins, perhaps because dominance gets old quickly. But overall it seems like a more glorious win., somehow.
he might have been lucky with Van Aert's flat and Degenkolb fall, but don't forget VDP made a large part of this race. He was super strong.

Congrats to MvdP, thoroughly well deserved. In January he was in the shadow of Wout - not now.

As for Wout's puncture, that is bad luck but normal for this race - everyone needs luck to win. In any case, as we saw Van Aert was out-sprinted by MvdP's teammate in the velodrome and MvdP was super strong today, so I am not sure he could have beaten MvdP in the sprint anyway. So he would have to go solo and I am not sure he could have dropped MvdP in this form.

Congrats to MvdP, thoroughly well deserved. In January he was in the shadow of Wout - not now.

As for Wout's puncture, that is bad luck but normal for this race. In any case, as we saw Van Aert was out-sprinted by MvdP's teammate in the velodrome and MvDP was super strong today, so I am not sure he could have beaten MvdP in the sprint anyway.

As for Wout's puncture, that is bad luck but normal for this race - everyone needs luck to win. In any case, as we saw Van Aert was out-sprinted by MvdP's teammate in the velodrome and MvdP was super strong today, so I am not sure he could have beaten MvdP in the sprint anyway. So he would have to go solo and I am not sure he could have dropped MvdP in this form.
Losing a sprint to Philipsen, who has not contributed since Carrefour is evidence of a H2H sprint with MvdP?

So why didn't WvA try to make this gap earlier?
If Wout did cooperate with Mathieu after the uphill attack it could've been anonther mano a mano final. He was playing it very tactically but he was still guessing too hard to stay in the wheels there. Mathieu was the one trying hard to get a gap, so he was always gonna work to lose the others. And Philipsen was in a good position then.

Even so if he's feeling super strong and he won the latest sprint with Mathieu. That was the only moment i thought he was gonna cooperate.