• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Next Step--Target Letters

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Race Radio said:
Of course they will hire former Livestrong employees. Where else will you find skill propagandists in Austin?

5_MitigatingCrises.jpg

http://www.pstrategies.com/

Bilirubin

BANNED
Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
Hi BPC, I know I have shown you this before...... tell Mark its a refresher course.

This is CSE, Lance management companies address: 98 San Jacinto Blvd. Suite 430. Austin, Texas 78701
And this is Public Strategies Incorporated address: 98 San Jacinto Blvd.Suite 1200. Austin, TX 78701

I highlighted this before - what Public Strategies do with Social Media:

But when I went to recheck that today, http://www.pstrategies.com/index.php/social-media-engagement.htm it is no longer on their website, strange, huh?

Here is how quickly they react to news for their clients:

This is Bill Mashek, who works for Public Stratgies in Washington.
Bill also was also spokesman for Trek when they did their media spin when dropping the LeMond brand:
For Immediate Release, April 8, 2008 Contact: Bill Mashek, 920.478.2192 x12755

And more recently when Bill announced that Trek had co-operated with a request to hand over documents to the Feds:

They probably took it down because it's misleading. It's not a productive use of someone's time to argue on a chat room with half a dozen people. I'm sure they monitor the general mood on big sites like twitter, but the idea they were responsible for what a lot of Armstrong's supporters did on message boards seems highly unlikely. You may profoundly disagree with criticism of LeMond, but there genuinely has been bad feeling against him from Armstrong fans over the years. It's not manufactured. But of course it's something very difficult to conclusively prove so I can see why people are loathed to give it up as a talking point.

Bilirubin

BANNED
Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
Race Radio said:
It is fun to watch BPC avoid any engagement on Astroturfing and respond with his usual ad hominem.

You did ignore all my points and branded me the evil BPC.

I'm well aware of astroturfing, which mainly consists of writing letter campaigns to congress and lobbying for changes in the law. I don't see how that applies in the Armstrong case. What could they do that would be effective? Organise a protest? He just has to do one of his twitter rides to get people on the streets for him. It's a different situation.

It's a much overhyped term as well, more often used to smear genuine causes. Famously a year ago Nancy Pelosi branded the Tea Party "atroturfing". Whatever one thinks of that movement, it went on to sweep a large number of politicians to power this year.

I will say this about Armstrong. He is very good at PR and presenting himself. It wouldn't surprise me if he ran a PR firm in the long term. There's nothing anyone at public strategies could really teach him.

Public Strategies, Continued:

Expertise

Executive Positioning

Our senior advisors have helped elect two Presidents and many Senators, Governors, and members of Congress. We have trained cabinet secretaries, international diplomats, Fortune 50 management teams and cultural icons like Lance Armstrong and Bono.

In the past two decades, we have advised countless CEOs, boards and senior corporate leaders on how to communicate their business objectives by utilizing the best practices gained from campaigns. We have prepared such leaders for major public debates, press conferences and one-on-one interviews on the most demanding topics with the most challenging journalists around the world.

http://www.pstrategies.com/index.php/executive-positioning/

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Bilirubin said:
They probably took it down because it's misleading. It's not a productive use of someone's time to argue on a chat room with half a dozen people. I'm sure they monitor the general mood on big sites like twitter, but the idea they were responsible for what a lot of Armstrong's supporters did on message boards seems highly unlikely. You may profoundly disagree with criticism of LeMond, but there genuinely has been bad feeling against him from Armstrong fans over the years. It's not manufactured. But of course it's something very difficult to conclusively prove so I can see why people are loathed to give it up as a talking point.

Hey BPC - how are you doing coming up with more 'experts' that I asked you about?

So - you don't believe the PR firm for a cyclist would check out the largest english speaking cycling website to help (in their words) ' monitor public opinion'?

Can you explain why Trek retained a different PR to the one they use normally and have Bill Mashek come all the way over from Washington DC to Wisconsin to help put out the LeMond piece?

Bilirubin

BANNED
Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
Merckx index said:
Read something like "The Sociopath Next Door". Some psychiatrists would argue that sociopaths are found in abundance in the highest levels of business, government, academia, etc. They are far more capable of blending into society than many give them credit for. If they weren't, they wouldn't be so capable of manipulating others so effectively to their own ends.

Very interesting. Maybe we're splitting hairs. I agree that lots of people do have sociopathic traits in aspects of their personalities. As I stated, I don't think that's the same as a full blown personality disorder. But I think it's true that successful characters to tend to have a more ruthless side to their personalities than in the normal population and that it part of their success.

Really it's impossible to make an assessment unless a professional is able to give someone a personal examination, so none of us should make that call.

However, if it's true that people like Armstrong are medically ill, and they can't help that, it would raise the ethical question of whether you judge such a person in the same way as everybody else.

Bilirubin

BANNED
Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
Hey BPC - how are you doing coming up with more 'experts' that I asked you about?

I already produced one expert. I think it's unlikely his opinion would be completely contrary to the charity community in general. I will do some research and try to get back to you if you want. But we d have the fact you don't see a lot of criticism of LiveStrong outside of certain message boards. If it really is as terrible as some make out, you'd expect to read a lot more about it.

The bottom line is, I just think you should leave it out of the case against him. If you're against doping at the tour, campaign against people like Armstrong doping at the tour. You don't need to trash the charity to help with that case. The charity does a lot of good. The case against LA should stand on its own merits.

So - you don't believe the PR firm for a cyclist would check out the largest english speaking cycling website to help (in their words)

I think the whole of the cycling world checks out the headlines on CN. Absolutely. But do you really think a PR firm employs people to argue in the clinic? Just who is employed by them? Can you name any names? Couldn't LeMond's lawyers just as easily be sending people in here? Hasn't LeMond's family members shown up here? There are far more people here that claim to have insider knowledge against Armstrong, so why don't you complain about this astroturfing subverting the debate?

Can you explain why Trek retained a different PR to the one they use normally and have Bill Mashek come all the way over from Washington DC to Wisconsin to help put out the LeMond piece?

I'm not close to Trek, but given Armstrong was in a legal battle with LeMond for some years, it seems they decided to employ someone less close to Armstrong to gain trust amongst all the parties so a deal could be done.

expertise_final.jpg

"Beginning every morning at 5:00 a.m. Eastern Time, a team of Public Strategies media and public opinion experts examine the day’s media and public opinion resources, including international and national print and broadcast media, trade publications and newswires, blogs and chat rooms, interest group Web sites and company Web sites.

The most relevant content is then compiled and carefully assessed based on its tone, key messages, quantity, trends and emerging sentiments. We then deliver a brief analysis of the text in an early morning email that includes a daily report with campaign-focused insight, an overview of key news and access to current and archived public materials."

http://www.pstrategies.com/index.php/media-intelligence.htm

Like this one slated for delivery early Monday A.M., November 22nd, 2010

Morning Brief

To: Juan Pelota
RE: Blowback
Priority: Critical

Apparently over the weekend you posted an ill advised Twitter, which resulted in an avalanche of negative press (too lengthy to summarize here).

Particularly on the CyclingNews website forum 'The Clinic.'

We conclude that given your unwillingness to cooperate and/or adhere to our prescribed code of conduct we advise you return for further training.

We have also booked a slot on Oprah, and have cleared consulting and advisement personnel and time for preparation.

Happy Thanksgiving,

Your Devout PS Handlers

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Bilirubin said:
I already produced one expert. ...........

You said "experts" - thats a plural, so yes I am looking for more than just one, thanks.

Tell you what - if Lance leaves Livestrong (and cancer) out of his sporting endeavors, then I will too......... until then......

No - sorry, can't name anyone in Public Strategies, unless you would like to tell me your name?
Hmm, do you think Greg paid Scott to post on here 4 or 5 times?

Am, "someone less close to Armstrong"? By hiring Lances PR friends to come in from Washington to oversee the presentation?

Bilirubin said:
The bottom line is, I just think you should leave it out of the case against him. If you're against doping at the tour, campaign against people like Armstrong doping at the tour. You don't need to trash the charity to help with that case. The charity does a lot of good. The case against LA should stand on its own merits.

Armstrong's "charity" was a fraud from the very beginning. It was set up with the express purpose of making him money. Whether it does any good or not is incidental to its true goal, which is providing publicity for Armstrong that is used to income, whether that income is derived from speaking fees or product endorsements.

TubularBills said:

Thanks TubularBills.

Had plenty of experience with 'Boiler Rooms' during the Internet bust. As far as I can tell, PS are still a bunch of amateurs.

In fact, the Landis fanatics put these guys to shame.

From Wikipedia:

the term boiler room refers to a busy center of activity, often selling questionable goods by telephone. It typically refers to a room where salesmen work using unfair, dishonest sales tactics, sometimes selling penny stock or committing outright stock fraud. The term carries a negative connotation, and is often used to imply high-pressure sales tactics and, sometimes, poor working conditions.

Dave.

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
BroDeal said:
Armstrong's "charity" was a fraud from the very beginning. It was set up with the express purpose of making him money. Whether it does any good or not is incidental to its true goal, which is providing publicity for Armstrong that is used to income, whether that income is derived from speaking fees or product endorsements.

Let the good remain. You might not like seeing his mug involved with it all, but if it is doing some good for someone, let the government decide what to do with LA's take (whatever that may be) while he's sitting in the pen (if he is found guilty). The salaries of the CEOs of many nonprofits seem outlandish, as well, but if they make money for the organization it's worth it, even if the motives of the chief are not altogether altruistic. Life is messy. Do you think everyone involved with Livestrong actually likes the guy?

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
It seems the forum is the number one hit on google regarding Lance and Novitsky. This is possibly where the majority watches/reads/participates in Evertything Armstrong. Bundle that together with insiders/lawyers and it's literally game on. Seems to be.

try some google searches.......................cyclingnews/forum/clinic is what you get

I'd be opening a 1.5L Krug Clos du Mesnil 1996, with a pint glass - that would be if i still partook.

Dr. Maserati said:
Hi BPC, I know I have shown you this before...... tell Mark its a refresher course.

This is CSE, Lance management companies address: 98 San Jacinto Blvd. Suite 430. Austin, Texas 78701
And this is Public Strategies Incorporated address: 98 San Jacinto Blvd.Suite 1200. Austin, TX 78701

I highlighted this before - what Public Strategies do with Social Media:

But when I went to recheck that today, http://www.pstrategies.com/index.php/social-media-engagement.htm it is no longer on their website, strange, huh?

Here is how quickly they react to news for their clients:

This is Bill Mashek, who works for Public Stratgies in Washington.
Bill also was also spokesman for Trek when they did their media spin when dropping the LeMond brand:
For Immediate Release, April 8, 2008 Contact: Bill Mashek, 920.478.2192 x12755

And more recently when Bill announced that Trek had co-operated with a request to hand over documents to the Feds:

Wow, here I was thinking we were just being creatively silly when suggesting that PS stooges do pay us a visit... it's probably true.

lol @ the posts by TB, this is great.

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
This thread has been significantly trolled, does anyone oppose the idea to take the first post and just start a new thread with that? Or at least just the first three pages, it appears as though the rest is more crap than anything else, mainly due to BPC

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Barrus said:
This thread has been significantly trolled, does anyone oppose the idea to take the first post and just start a new thread with that? Or at least just the first three pages, it appears as though the rest is more crap than anything else, mainly due to BPC

It was kind of a thin topic to build a thread on. I think by going off course it ended up being more interesting. Personally, I see no reason to delete it or start it over.

Also, I think if Armstrong or BPC or whoever it is wants to get in here and mix it up you should let him. His posts don't really seem disruptive to me; not in his most recent incarnation, anyway.

TRENDING THREADS