• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The non-dopers

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
ingsve said:
Thor Hushovd has always been regarded as a clean rider. I believe Jaan Kirsipuu once called him the only clean rider in the peloton in an Estonian newspaper. He came up under Roger Legeay in Credit Agricole which is in his favor I think. Ano

Kirsipuu did not say "in the peloton", he said: "Thor Hushovd is only top rider who is clean." This interview took place in 2007 and context was Zabel´s confession, so I am not sure did he mean top sprinters or top riders in general. In this interview Kirsipuu was ecpecially critical of Zabel, saying "I think that his whole career build on dope" and so on.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Cerberus said:
In fairness Cancellara scored a 0 on the UCI suspicion list. I don't really believe he's clean despite of that, but it's a point to consider.

UCI themselves are under suspicions of doping cover-ups. I don't trust whatever score they put on for whichever athlete.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Morpheus said:
I think it is a safe bet to say that those riders who struggle to make the time limit, during the mountain stages in any of the three Grand Tours, are non-dopers. Or to put another way. Those who are not on the gear at that point of their career. A list comprised of both current and retired riders that You could safely assume are non-dopers, will amount to quite a short list.

No, I don't think we can go by slow/fast riders to decide who might be clean/dirty. These drugs work differently for different people. So just because you take EPO, it doesn't mean you'll certainly climb 20% faster. Sometimes EPO doesn't work, depends on the person's physiology.

Moncoutie is widely regarded as a clean rider by many. He had a decent career by winning the KOM 3 times in Vuelta. For a clean rider, that's pretty impressive.

Then there's Fuyu Li. He never made it big in the WorldTour and he doped under Bruyneel.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
TheEnoculator said:
No, I don't think we can go by slow/fast riders to decide who might be clean/dirty. These drugs work differently for different people. So just because you take EPO, it doesn't mean you'll certainly climb 20% faster. Sometimes EPO doesn't work, depends on the person's physiology.

Moncoutie is widely regarded as a clean rider by many. He had a decent career by winning the KOM 3 times in Vuelta. For a clean rider, that's pretty impressive.

Then there's Fuyu Li. He never made it big in the WorldTour and he doped under Bruyneel.

Fuyu Li tested positive for Clen. A few German athletes came back from China and tested positive for Clen. They claimed it was from tainted meat in China. They got off. How come Fuyu Li was never afforded this?

I'd also go for Moncoutie, seems widely accepted within the peloton that he's clean.Ditto that for Pinotti,read a fascinating interview with him in Pro Cycling magazine last year, ticks all the boxes for being clean.Were just playing guessing games though.

hrotha said:
With Mantova pending, I'd wait before saying anything about Cunego. His quotes have been interpreted in a positive light, but perhaps they had little to do with a change of heart.

I don't think he ever stopped completely, just stopped doing what was required to make him a GC machine. So along with "NewBasso", one of the cleanest big names.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Ferminal said:
I don't think he ever stopped completely, just stopped doing what was required to make him a GC machine. So along with "NewBasso", one of the cleanest big names.

If he is still taking epo but in microsdoses he is hardly clean.

Less dirty maybe but not clean or cleaner or cleanest.

This is what has happened in cycling. They are on less so it is cleaner,. BS, it is less dirty, but still dirty.

And it is still not a level palying field. I reckon teams are hiring riders based upon how well they perform while taking X or Y, not how much true talent they have.

I guess Wiggins is a great receptor for whatever he takes. When he started he went from 100+ in the TdF to 4th and now with a bit of tweaking to 1st.

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
cardinal guzman said:
Obree is the only pro cyclist in history to be above suspicion - he was sacked because he refused to dope.

All the rest are suspects. No exceptions.

Who was he sacked by out of interest?

TRENDING THREADS