• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The official CBS 60 minutes thread

Deserves it's own thread to discuss tomorrows episode.

Any bets on what will feature outside of Landis & Hamilton?

One sniff I heard & not sure if it will feature or not but a correlation was done with funding which came from Livestrong to certain drug companies which were supplying Armstrong with some experimental drugs specifically for PED use.

I heard there's some more crackers to come.

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
CBS News Chief Investigative Correspondent Armen Keteyian says this 60 Minutes piece is the most detailed & damaging piece that's been done. They spoke to Betsy & Frankie. My sister saw the CBS News thing and said it was a six month investigation. David Harmon said on Eurosport that 60 Minutes was in Europe a year ago working on it. I wish I knew how long of a segment it is, but there definitely won't be any filler.

I haven't had a TV in years, so I have to watch everything on the Internet. There are a couple of places, including Justin TV, that could possibly have live feeds Sunday. If I find one, I'll post it here.

Anyone interested in live blogging or live tweeting it for people without access?

I'll just download it as a torrent on monday morning, but I very much look forward to this. Doubt they'll say many things I (or anybody who cares enough to frequent places like the Clinic) don't know already, but hopefully they'll present it in a way that will be convincing and engaging to regular people as well.

theswordsman said:
CBS News Chief Investigative Correspondent Armen Keteyian says this 60 Minutes piece is the most detailed & damaging piece that's been done. They spoke to Betsy & Frankie. My sister saw the CBS News thing and said it was a six month investigation. David Harmon said on Eurosport that 60 Minutes was in Europe a year ago working on it. I wish I knew how long of a segment it is, but there definitely won't be any filler.

I haven't had a TV in years, so I have to watch everything on the Internet. There are a couple of places, including Justin TV, that could possibly have live feeds Sunday. If I find one, I'll post it here.

Anyone interested in live blogging or live tweeting it for people without access?

Perhaps they planted an undercover journalist posing as an inturn at Livestrong HQ?

Here is something I heard years ago, I believe it was right after Armstrong's first Tour win. Armstrong has only one testicle, and can survive just fine with one producing testosterone depending on the physiological circumstances.

Under "medical supervision" a recovering cancer patient like him would be allowed to take up to a ratio of 7:1 in synthetic testosterone to make up for any "deficiencies" in testosterone production.

From what I understand Armstrong took advantage of this particular loophole. The UCI was notified of this but the information was never made public because it would cause a stir, even with a TUE. Plus, it would ruin what was turning into the feel-good story of the year back in 1999. Remember it was the race director at the time who declared that year's race "The Tour of Redemption", so there was a lot at stake for all concerned parties involved.

If anyone recalls Chris Boardman suffered from osteoporosis that required hormone therapy which he refused to take while he was riding professionally because he was concerned about the public backlash.

We know the ratio for testing positive for testosterone is 4:1. Armstrong allegedly raced at levels that exceeded this amount. For the apologists, fanboys and weekend armchair physiologists, it is debatable whether testosterone is effective for cycling. Let's just say it is for the sake of argument.

To be allowed to take so much of it explains a lot. It explains Armstrong's relationship between he and the Tour organizers and the UCI. It explains that even amongst dopers, there wasn't a level playing field. This really rips a hole in the argument that "they all doped, so the best rider STILL won".

This is a common fallacy that is spewed by people who refuse to come to grips with the reality that Armstrong is cycling's version of the Six-Million Dollar Man.

Except he was recreated with doping products and protection from testing positive by the governing bodies. The elevated levels of testosterone, along with the EPO/HemAssist that initially made his new "higher cadence" and improved power-to-weight possible. It wasn't because he had dropped 15 or 20 pounds of weight while he was being treated with chemo.

thehog said:
Perhaps they planted an undercover journalist posing as an inturn at Livestrong HQ?
That'd be over the top awesome, but I'm not holding my breath.
Still...what's easier than to present yourself as a volunteer to get in? Charities have nothing to hide, and they need hands.

Nov 20, 2010
Visit site
Magic Spanner said:
If the Hincapie info came from a GJ insider we might see more details from other witnesses.

Very unlikely, unless the insider wants to be indicted on felony charges for breaking GJ secrecy. And the gov takes such secrecy very seriously. More likely Hincapie told someone, who told someone, who told.............

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
Cimacoppi49 said:
Very unlikely, unless the insider wants to be indicted on felony charges for breaking GJ secrecy. And the gov takes such secrecy very seriously. More likely Hincapie told someone, who told someone, who told.............

Nah, almost certainly one of the legion of lawyers and other helpers involved. Leaks are as common as air

thehog said:
Deserves it's own thread to discuss tomorrows episode.
if there is a way to view this, for those of us outside of the U.S., it would be nice if a Sticky could be put up at the top of the thread :)

reading about it is all well and good, but seeing it for yourself is another thing altogether.

Sep 27, 2009
Visit site
Allen H said:
7pm Sunday night in the U.S. on CBS.

That is when 60 minutes is on but looking at the schedule on the CBS website, http://www.cbs.com/info/schedule/index.php?t=7 it says there is a special edition on at 8pm after the usaul 60 minutes program. The CBS website seems to indicate this special edition is about Lance Armstrong. I do not know whether Armstrong is going to be part of the normal program or not. Please check this out yourselves before chosing to skip the normal program. It does however look like there will be at least an hour on the issue.

python said:
for those like myself who prefer to listen while doing other things...

cbs 60 minute podcast (don't know if it's gonna be live)

http://serve.cbsradionewsfeed.com/rss.php?id=90&ud=512
thank you, python.

this is one i'd like to watch (body language and all that), but hearing it all is the next best thing! hopefully, this link will include specials.

(as for whether it will be live or no, i'll likely be fast asleep when it's on :D)

A

Anonymous

LukeSchmid said:
That is when 60 minutes is on but looking at the schedule on the CBS website, http://www.cbs.com/info/schedule/index.php?t=7 it says there is a special edition on at 8pm after the usaul 60 minutes program. The CBS website seems to indicate this special edition is about Lance Armstrong. I do not know whether Armstrong is going to be part of the normal program or not. Please check this out yourselves before chosing to skip the normal program. It does however look like there will be at least an hour on the issue.

THe 8/7 version IS the lance special, says so on the front of the website.

You can watch them next day on the cbs website. They dont appear to be geo restricted http://www.cbs.com/primetime/60_minutes/

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site

TRENDING THREADS