• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The official debate: Should Contador have waited for Schleck?

Page 59 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Apostate

BANNED
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
AtletiSK said:
Citation of A.Schleck: "The TdF will not be decided because of what happend tomorrow, the real battle will come on Thursday, we have already spoken (with AC), we are not angry with each other. It will have no impact neither on our relation, nor on the development of the race"

Yeah, he hopes that will be the case. He can't concede defeat. It's very doubtful though - AC will have all the confidence and Schleck now needs some ridiculously big time gap that is just so unlikely from one climb.

It will be a damp squib. Schleck will blow himself out and AC will win the stage.

However, if AS still had a 35 second lead, and possibly more than that without the incident, he might stand a chance. AC would be nervous and the time gap required for AS would seem doable to him, giving him confidence.

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Yes! Finally some common sense. Because he attacked and then had his problem .. no one needed to wait. very simple.

I love what Ryder said: "If you draw your sword and you drop it, you die."

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Apostate said:
So that's why Contador admitted he made a mistake and apologised, right, and the french are booing him?
the americans are booing him. We've had testimony on this board of someone who was there and saw it.
Lay off the pink stuff.

Apostate

BANNED
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
nia O'Malley said:
the americans are booing him. We've had testimony on this board of someone who was there and saw it.
Lay off the pink stuff.

Like there is so many Americans there!

No the french like booing. They booed. They'll get over it though - don't worry.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
AtletiSK said:
Citation of A.Schleck: "The TdF will not be decided because of what happend tomorrow, the real battle will come on Thursday, we have already spoken (with AC), we are not angry with each other. It will have no impact neither on our relation, nor on the development of the race"

At best, Shrek claws back a minute and loses the race by a minute. He had a chance before yesterday, but no way now. Not unless Contador has his own piece of bad luck.

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
Apostate said:
So that's why Contador admitted he made a mistake and apologised, right, and the french are booing him?
Reporter:Alberto, is it true that you apologised to Andy?
AC: Yes. I didn’t need to. But we’ve got a very strong friendship and it was for that reason that I wanted to apologise yesterday evening.

in terms of French booing, it shows a little education and lack of respect of some individuals, they did the same towards Nadal when he crashed out injured last year at Roland Garros. Every human being is different and great champion (like Contador) did not deserve it in my opinion

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Apostate said:
Like there is so many Americans there!

No the french like booing. They booed. They'll get over it though - don't worry.

I don't really worry, I'm french born and I hold a french passport so I'm sure I know how the french behave ;)
I am also a firm Andy Schleck fan.
I also read facts from an eye witness, so unless you produce something grounded in actual facts, this discussion is over :) Anybody with an IQ over 75 got over the whole thing 30 hours ago, including the offended party and everyone around him.

edit: the only booing I've ever actually seen in the last ten years is on the Jerry Springer show and America's got Talent. I've no more to say.

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
scribe said:
At best, Shrek claws back a minute and loses the race by a minute. He had a chance before yesterday, but no way now. Not unless Contador has his own piece of bad luck.
AC has already had his piece of bad luck at Arenberg, people tend to forget things very easily, please be more coherent when making comments

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
AtletiSK said:
AC has already had his piece of bad luck at Arenberg, people tend to forget things very easily, please be more coherent when making comments

What exactly was the bad luck? Not being on Cancellara's wheel when they hit the pave? That was a tactical error. Which is actually understandable as nearly two hundred strong riders wanted that spot desperately. Mis-position yourself on a pave stage frequently and the odds can really stack up on ya.

Apostate

BANNED
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
AtletiSK said:
Reporter:Alberto, is it true that you apologised to Andy?
AC: Yes. I didn’t need to. But we’ve got a very strong friendship and it was for that reason that I wanted to apologise yesterday evening.

Yeah he's using all this friend bull$hit to make himself seem like a really nice guy. Really he is just happy to have won the tour.

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
scribe said:
What exactly was the bad luck? Not being on Cancellara's wheel when they hit the pave? That was a tactical error. Which is actually understandable as nearly two hundred strong riders wanted that spot desperately. Mis-position yourself on a pave stage frequently and the odds can really stack up on ya.
oh man, please... you should get your facts right.... if nothing else AC had a puncture 1km from the line where he lost some 20 seconds
and honestly, I still think that at Arenberg Saxo/Andy broke the gentlemen rules much more than Alberto yesterday when they pushed hard when his brother was on the ground and almost all favourites were in troubles, including Maillot Jaune Chavanel.... I think some people here should be more objective and not hide the facts

scribe said:

At least Contador knows how to work his gears.:p

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
AtletiSK said:
oh man, please... you should get your facts right.... if nothing else AC had a puncture 1km from the line where he lost some 20 seconds
and honestly, I still thing that at Arenberg Saxo/Andy broke the gentlemen rules much more than Alberto yesterday when they pushed hard when his brother was on the ground and almost all favourites were in troubles, including Maillot Jaune Chavanel.... I think some people here should be more objective and not hide the facts

Can you site this puncture? I don't think that is accurate.

You might be talking about the brake mechanical Berto had. Let's see. When his own teammate was drilling that mechanical for another GC guy at the line. I think AS was giving interviews at the finish by the time that happened, so I don't know what you could expect out of that.

Regarding Chavanel across that whole stage. The field was blown apart. No one knew where the hell anyone was. That's cobbles racing. Guys on the ground, mechanicals left and right. Scarfing teammate's bikes, etc.

As much as I hate to say it, they might have to remove cobbles from the tour as too many guys can't get their thick skulls around what it means to race on them.

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
scribe said:

You might be talking about the brake mechanical Berto had. Let's see. When his own teammate was drilling that mechanical for another GC guy at the line. I think AS was giving interviews at the finish by the time that happened, so I don't know what you could expect out of that.

Regarding Chavanel across that whole stage. The field was blown apart. No one knew where the hell anyone was. That's cobbles racing. Guys on the ground, mechanicals left and right. Scarfing teammate's bikes, etc.

As much as I hate to say it, they might have to remove cobbles from the tour as too many guys can't get their thick skulls around what it means to race on them.

In racing if you have a mechanical incident, crash, etc in the final 3 km you get the same time as the group you were in so that's why Vino was driving the peloton to get the best possible time for Alberto. I'm sure you know that already but I'm just reminding you, I'm sure you'll forget it again when you want to bash Alberto again;)

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
franciep10 said:
In racing if you have a mechanical incident, crash, etc in the final 3 km you get the same time as the group you were in so that's why Vino was driving the peloton to get the best possible time for Alberto. I'm sure you know that already but I'm just reminding you, I'm sure you'll forget it again when you want to bash Alberto again;)

Did they ever give him the same time? I thought the problem was from 30k out, which means he might have come in 3 minutes ahead of Cancellara without the excess friction.

Where did I bash Berto? Surely we can discuss race tactics without getting overly sensitive about it.

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
scribe said:

from the spanish daily Marca:
Por delante suyo, entraba Contador, que perdió 20 segundos preciosos por una avería mecánica ya dentro del último kilómetro, una pequeña porción de mala suerte (translation before him (meant LA) entered AC, who lost 20 valuable seconds because of mehanical problem within the last kilometre, a small portion of bad luck)
of course at that time Andy could not do anything.... but this discussion started when you said "unless Contador" has his own piece of bad luck... and this mechanical issue definately was a bad luck...

Jun 3, 2009
Visit site
Hey, I just got done watching AS and the chain drop, like 10 times, and I swear it looks he just roostered up the shift to the big ring...that's NOT a mechanical...that's rider error, just like taking the wrong way through a roundabout...AS knew he roostered it up and that's why he didn't say much...a puncture or a broken component is a mechanical...roostering up a shift is the rider's fault....no gifts...learn to ride.

dpcowboy said:
Hey, I just got done watching AS and the chain drop, like 10 times, and I swear it looks he just roostered up the shift to the big ring...that's NOT a mechanical...that's rider error, just like taking the wrong way through a roundabout...AS knew he roostered it up and that's why he didn't say much...a puncture or a broken component is a mechanical...roostering up a shift is the rider's fault....no gifts...learn to ride.

DPC, you've got to know this is a red herring. No way guys, in the chaos of the race, can calculate whether all, some or none of a crash or "mechanical" is down to rider error. Just can't work. If the MJ is down because of a crash, the next thought of his rivals should not be "well, did he crash because he took a bad line into that corner, cause if so I'm going au bloc right now!". The bright line rule is the only workable one. Surely you don't think AC evaluated what happened to AS and determined that it was okay to ride because AS had roostered it up?

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
scribe said:

Do you think they will also all have to ride single speed? Just following you logic. Some guy's seem to have trouble shifting....