• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The official Egan Bernal is the new Egan Bernal thread

Page 20 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

gospina said:
Arredondo said:
Escarabajo said:
I forgot about Henao. LOL. You are right jaylew, I actually believed at the beginning that Henao was it.
Then came Nairo. But I never believed Ryo. Besides Nairo's size was a big hurdle for him to win the Tour. Then I saw how he obliterated everyone in that Pais Vasco race. Then I switched and started believing in him. At this moment still waiting. So far neither Lopez, Chaves, Betancur nor Bernal have shown something to convince me of changing again. Ok Bernal is showing huge promise. But is way too early to tell TBH.

And the Colombians in this forum are very tamed TBH. They are very grounded. The hype, believe it or not, comes from people from other countries. LOL. I don't blame them. They have been waiting from the second coming of Pantani and Contador (lately) for a long time.

And it's even more funnier to think that the cycling community shared the belief Fabio Duarte could be the biggest of them all. I mean, 8/9 years ago everyone talked about the big four: Uran, Henao, Betancur and Duarte (before Quintana and Chaves came to the fore).

It shows that it takes more then just pure talent to be a great cyclist. It's also about having a strong mind (which was not the case with Duarte).

I created a website for the colombian generation about 7 years ago. LOL. I haven't changed it since.
Badly written, just me typing away one day without editing.
Summary:
Ardila (32), Serpa (32), Duque (31) were the veterans.
SOLER (28) was King and was going to win the next tour.
Duarte (25) was exciting to watch.
Rigoberto Uran (24), Sergio Henao (23), Cayenato Sarmiento (24) and Winner Anacona (23) were all coming up.
Some guy called Carlos Betancourt (22) and another guy Nairo Quintana (21) were the ones you may not have heard of.
I did have some crazy predictions of those to watch:
Miguel Rubiano (27)
Rafael Infantino (27)
Esteban Chavez (21)
Edwin Avila (21) if he ever left the track
Giovani Baez (30)
Janier Acevedo (24)
And more importantly was this cute 20 year old girl Mariana Pajon that MAY, just MAY win an olympic medal.

Keep in mind that I did this in about 20 minutes and never went back to edit:
http://www.ospina.com
What's the deal with the Betancur/Betancourt thing, anyway? I've never known.

jaylew said:
What's the deal with the Betancur/Betancourt thing, anyway? I've never known.
The last name exists in both forms in Colombia, French influence.
When Carlos was coming up, some reports had him as Betancourt in race results. At that time, i had assumed it was that, since there is a famous colombian politician with the same last name (Ingrid Betancourt, who was kidnapped for a few years at one point). I find it more fascinating his nicknames. Some people call him Bananito, but he prefers "La Ronca". La Ronca was a famous colombian singer named Helenita Vargas. Her nickname as "La Ronca". It means "hoarse voice", and "roncando" means snoring. She was famous for her raspy voice. Anyway, people were making fun of Betancur's voice when he was younger and he actually liked the nickname, so he prefers it LOL. Too much of a tangent, back to Egan Bernal, his current nickname is "The Eagle from Zipaquira" (El Aguila de Zipaquira). Eagle seems like a cool nickname. Fits him.

Me quedo en Colombia hasta una semana antes de la Volta a Catalunya y depués correré Flecha y Lieja. Es un buen bloque y regreso a Colombia. Tal vez luego haga California. Tengo todo el calendario... pero no me acuerdo.

So, this should be the latest info regarding his race schedule?

jaylew said:
Gigs_98 said:
Colombian hype trains over the last years.
2013: Nairo is the new Pantani :cool:
2016: Forget Quintana, lopez is twice as talented :eek:
2018: Who the hell is Lopez? Bernal is the future goat. :eek: :eek:

By this rate Colombia is producing 5 Tour de France record winners every decade :lol:

What about all the Henao hype even before Nairo? Seems like it started with him.

We have to give Ryo some credit for pretty much starting it all and predicting the future Colombian wave of talent that was coming.
As crazy as Ryo was, I knew he was always right about the Colombian wave of talent (except the overdoing it part), they are all crazy good. Even the sprinters now.

the-one.gif

There seem to be some confusion regarding his program. He is on the provisional list for Itzulia, and Trentino. However, Egan himself said that he would ride Catalunya, LFW, LBL and California. Doing both Trentino and LFW is however impossible. He doesn't even remember his own calendar himself.

Re:

DNP-Old said:
There seem to be some confusion regarding his program. He is on the provisional list for Itzulia, and Trentino. However, Egan himself said that he would ride Catalunya, LFW, LBL and California. Doing both Trentino and LFW is however impossible. He doesn't even remember his own calendar himself.

Here's to hoping it's Itzulia and FW+LBL. I've been positively surprised by his alroundedness if anything, so I'd like to know how he does in those races. That said, he'd probably be a domestique in those races. Honestly I don't see the point of the Tour of the Alps.

SafeBet said:
Red Rick said:
Here's to hoping it's Itzulia and FW+LBL. I've been positively surprised by his alroundedness if anything, so I'd like to know how he does in those races. That said, he'd probably be a domestique in those races. Honestly I don't see the point of the Tour of the Alps.
Win the race?
Froome, meet Bernal, your team leader for this race. Get used to it

Red Rick said:
SafeBet said:
Red Rick said:
Win the race?
its all about the Dawg :lol:

SafeBet said:
Red Rick said:
I don't think Froome would have any problem with Bernal being the leader in Trentino.
It's a minor race for him, whereas it'd be Bernal's biggest win to date.

I agree. Based on his performance last season in the events leading up to his Tour/Vuelta goals, it's probably fairly likely he'd be happy to stay out of the limelight and ride in support or as co-leader or even as option B.

He should be very good in Itzulia and I agree with Red Rick, seeing him in the Ardennes would be great. As he stated, he is actually pretty allround for his build and can also do well in one day races. Would be very intrigued to see him on the Mur, but also L-B-L.

Hmm. His performances in Catalunya and Il Lombardia portend a great future in those kinds of races, but he hasn't yet done anything to demonstrate that he can be an all-rounder. Given his mountain biking background and his unexpected ITT National Championship win earlier this year, I'm hopeful that his talent is multi-dimensional, but let's not over hype him. I've seen the same pattern with other riders and it has invariably led to them being absurdly taken down when they don't fulfill the unjustified expectations that have been placed upon their shoulders.

DNP-Old said:
Red Rick said:
Any final word on if Bernal is riding the men's RR at the WC?
Not as of yet, but we don't know what's being spoken of behind doors. With the way things are developing for both Egan and Ivan Sosa, it makes upgrading a whole lot easier.
Especially for Bernal, who had already done top 15 in Lombardia and was always gonna improve a lot, it wouldn't be understandable to ride the u23. He might tank his best shot at the rainbow jersey in a long, long time.

TRENDING THREADS