Teams & Riders The official Egan Bernal is the new Egan Bernal thread

Page 22 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Would be amazing if he can ride Pais Vasco, but I doubt it. In this shape he could've have won it with Valverde not racing, Contador retired and Porte questionable.
No, they probably won't take any risks. Sky also has De La Cruz who is targeting Pais Vasco. Anyway, it would already be quite incredible to walk away from this crash without any fractures.
 

Eli

Feb 23, 2018
144
11
2,860
Re: Re:

Red Rick said:
Eli said:
El Pistolero said:
Valv.Piti said:
Not many riders can go toe to toe with Valverde in such a stage race, close to none honestly. Amazing performance - I really really hope he recovers soon.
Because almost no one targets this race as a major goal.

Sucks for Bernal, especially because it was caused by that Franco fanboy.
Lool..You don't Valverde that much do you? :D . Any particular reasons why?
Pretty sure he was referring to Rojas.
Nah He was refering to Valverde.
 
Re: Re:

DNP-Old said:
Valv.Piti said:
Valverde on Bernal, the guy has already lots of respect for Bernal. His attacks today on a rather easy climb were amazing:

“It’s really sad to see what happened to Egan. He was again really strong on the circuit today, jumping across to the breaks – I really had to dig deep to follow his wheel and neutralize the attempt. Things just happen where you don’t expect them to do. He’s a talented guy, with lots of future and already some big results to his name – I just hope he recovers well and quickly, as well him as my team-mate José Joaquín.”
So much respect he called him Edgar Bernal yesterday . :D
Well as time goes by his respect for the guy grows ;)
 
Re: Re:

Eli said:
Red Rick said:
Eli said:
El Pistolero said:
Valv.Piti said:
Not many riders can go toe to toe with Valverde in such a stage race, close to none honestly. Amazing performance - I really really hope he recovers soon.
Because almost no one targets this race as a major goal.

Sucks for Bernal, especially because it was caused by that Franco fanboy.
Lool..You don't Valverde that much do you? :D . Any particular reasons why?
Pretty sure he was referring to Rojas.
Nah He was refering to Valverde.

The Franco fanboy is certainly towards Rojas
 
Obviously, since it was Rojas that slid out and took him down. Who was the UAE rider? Looked in a bad way as well.

(was Dan Martin as feared, but appears he's ok. Finished stage even)
 
Re:

Valv.Piti said:
He is, without a doubt, the biggest talent in cycling. Don't wanna repeat myself, but this guy is simply special.
What do you mean? You think he's the biggest talent ever or the biggest in the current peloton or just the biggest talent of the up and coming riders (let's say under 25yo)?

Anyway great prologue. Nice to see his great form is still there. I'm curious to see him in the MTT and then in the following mountain stage of course. Who do you think will do better in the MTT, him or Thomas?
 
Re: Re:

johnymax said:
Valv.Piti said:
He is, without a doubt, the biggest talent in cycling. Don't wanna repeat myself, but this guy is simply special.
What do you mean? You think he's the biggest talent ever or the biggest in the current peloton or just the biggest talent of the up and coming riders (let's say under 25yo)?

Anyway great prologue. Nice to see his great form is still there. I'm curious to see him in the MTT and then in the following mountain stage of course. Who do you think will do better in the MTT, him or Thomas?
I'll let Valv.Piti say what he means, but this (the bold) is what I think.

Watching him climb is just awesome. He attacks, he's got charisma and he ain't a one trick pony. Can't wait to see him progress more.
 
Re: Re:

Jspear said:
johnymax said:
Valv.Piti said:
He is, without a doubt, the biggest talent in cycling. Don't wanna repeat myself, but this guy is simply special.
What do you mean? You think he's the biggest talent ever or the biggest in the current peloton or just the biggest talent of the up and coming riders (let's say under 25yo)?

Anyway great prologue. Nice to see his great form is still there. I'm curious to see him in the MTT and then in the following mountain stage of course. Who do you think will do better in the MTT, him or Thomas?
I'll let Valv.Piti say what he means, but this (the bold) is what I think.

Watching him climb is just awesome. He attacks, he's got charisma and he ain't a one trick pony. Can't wait to see him progress more.
Yeah, the latter, the biggest talent under 25 years or whatever. Youngster. :D

Without bad luck and with some good preparation, he will most likely be Team Sky's captain in La Vuelta and I wouldn't at all be surprised if he pulled an Andy. His Giro was much more out of the blue.
 
Re: Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Red Rick said:
If he's among the best climbers in the MTT, I'm gonna go ahead and think he can win the Vuelta.
I was afraid to say it, but thats exactly what I thought.
Yeah he could win. But the pressure shouldn't really be on yet.

Top 5 would be pretty big I think.

I also don't think he'll keep improving until he's 25. I think his star is gonna burn quickly, it's gonna burn bright, and it might burn out.
 
He's in the category of Sagan and Quintana (closer to the former than the latter) in terms of talent. In '20 he should be a contender in Giro or Tour. I'm very curious of how well he can do in the classics in the future - he should be closer to a Purito than a Quintana there, I'd think.
 
Re: Re:

Red Rick said:
Valv.Piti said:
Red Rick said:
If he's among the best climbers in the MTT, I'm gonna go ahead and think he can win the Vuelta.
I was afraid to say it, but thats exactly what I thought.
Yeah he could win. But the pressure shouldn't really be on yet.

Top 5 would be pretty big I think.

I also don't think he'll keep improving until he's 25. I think his star is gonna burn quickly, it's gonna burn bright, and it might burn out.
If he trains well, doesn’t get injured, and gets the opportunities, he will continue to improve for a couple of years. Maybe not 25 exactly, but close to it. And then I don’t see why he couldn’t hold his high level of racing for years and become a great cyclist with good palmares. I know riders like AC don’t come around every couple of years...I’m not looking for that. But he could become a multi gt winner....the potential is there...imo.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY