• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The official Egan Bernal is the new Egan Bernal thread

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Valv.Piti said:
To be fair, Bernal has raced some shitty races like San Juan and Langkawi which is highly comparable to the flat stages of the Abu Dhabi Tour. Just there are many more of them in these races. Its a walk in the park for decent pros to sit in and will most likely be easier than your normal training rides.
Not when you're a 59kg, 20-year old neo-pro. Just keeping up with the pros on the flats is really very hard at that point, no matter what your VO2max may be.

Re:

staubsauger said:
Blame Vegni not Savio. Bernal somehow has to get Androni Giocattoli to the Giro. In the highly unlikely case they manage to get a late-up call he's gonna be massively overraced. Meanwhile teams like CCC and Gazprom haven't even properly started their season yet, did they?
And with that, no one is to be blamed but Savio. Right now he's doing one of these two things:
- He wants to show how great he is that he discovered Bernal
- He is getting so desperate for the Giro that he is willing to overkill Bernal for attention or showing RCS was wrong.

He needs to be cautious, but he isn't. I had high hopes when Savio said Bernal wasn't ready for the Giro last year, but it looks like it was just false hope after all. When the going gets tough, Savio is too impatient.

Re: Re:

carton said:
Valv.Piti said:
To be fair, Bernal has raced some shitty races like San Juan and Langkawi which is highly comparable to the flat stages of the Abu Dhabi Tour. Just there are many more of them in these races. Its a walk in the park for decent pros to sit in and will most likely be easier than your normal training rides.
Not when you're a 59kg, 20-year old neo-pro. Just keeping up with the pros on the flats is really very hard at that point, no matter what your VO2max may be.
Not just a neo pro, it was only his first ever (full) season on the road. These days U23 riders have experience with riding a lot of races in a short period. Say twenty race days in two months. Egan doesn't.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
I just watched stage 2 of Settimana Internazionale Coppi e Bartali and according to the Italian commentators Movistar made Savio a important offer to buy him out of his contract and that he'll probably ride for Movistar in 2018.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re:

AlexNYC said:
That would be great for him - though Movistar has a few promising young riders already
Yes, but Movistar is a team that gives a ton of riders the opportunity to ride for themself in one week long stage races.
Hes still young, so riding 2 years as a climbing superdomestique for Valverde or Quintana would be a great learning experience for him.

Re:

Escarabajo said:
Movistar is already loaded with young talent. Egan would be another one.

Surely there must be other teams interested in this talent.
I'm sure there are but looks like Movistar is making the quickest move. And it probably doesn't hurt that it's a Spanish-speaking team with several Colombians. I'd think for someone that young, there would be some appeal to that.

Bernal to Movistar would be huge! Already showing amazing consistency, but also top end level in Tirreno - Adriatico on the two very hard stages. I was actually most surprised by in to Fermo, what a stunning performance. Can win Tour of the Basque Country in two years.

I think it will be good for his developement as well. He can lead some biggish races like Quintana did in 2012 and domestique in La Vuelta or whatever. Bascailly ride his schedule froom 2012, the first year with Movistar. There is no language barrier and they already have 4 Colombians and 6 South Americans, including Quintana which is a rider every one of the young Colombian climbing prospects look up to (I assume).

Him Soler, Carapaz....

Something like Mallorca, Valencia, Catalunya, Asturias, Madrid, Dauphine/Suisse, Burgos, Vuelta, Italian classics.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Bernal to Movistar would be huge! Already showing amazing consistency, but also top end level in Tirreno - Adriatico on the two very hard stages. I was actually most surprised by in to Fermo, what a stunning performance. Can win Tour of the Basque Country in two years.

I think it will be good for his developement as well. He can lead some biggish races like Quintana did in 2012 and domestique in La Vuelta or whatever. Bascailly ride his schedule froom 2012, the first year with Movistar. There is no language barrier and they already have 4 Colombians and 6 South Americans, including Quintana which is a rider every one of the young Colombian climbing prospects look up to (I assume).

Him Soler, Carapaz....

Something like Mallorca, Valencia, Catalunya, Asturias, Madrid, Dauphine/Suisse, Burgos, Vuelta, Italian classics.

I think language barrier is not a problem, he's showed he's very mature and professional. He apparently speaks decent Italian, and he is learning English. I intuit that he wouldn't have a problem to adapt to most WT teams.

tristecsinamigos said:
Valv.Piti said:

Him Soler, Carapaz....

I think language barrier is not a problem, he's showed he's very mature and professional. He apparently speaks decent Italian, and he is learning English. I intuit that he wouldn't have a problem to adapt to most WT teams.
Nice to hear, good point.

Just saw Gaudu was mentioned to have a vo2 max of 92. Bernal''s should be pretty insane as well, maybe even higher if I remember correctly? The point being, both are 20 years old and literally build to climb mountains at a blazing speed. Could be a nice duel to look out for.

Also, considering Bernal get raced so much, it might be a blessing in disguise that Androni won't ride the Giro since he surely would have been selected. On the other hand, then he maybe wouldn't have raced to much.. eiter way, Trentino is officially one of the races I look forward to the most with the live coverage and the nicely looking route.

Valv.Piti said:
tristecsinamigos said:
Valv.Piti said:

Him Soler, Carapaz....

Nice to hear, good point.

Just saw Gaudu was mentioned to have a vo2 max of 92. Bernal''s should be pretty insane as well, maybe even higher if I remember correctly? The point being, both are 20 years old and literally build to climb mountains at a blazing speed. Could be a nice duel to look out for.

Also, considering Bernal get raced so much, it might be a blessing in disguise that Androni won't ride the Giro since he surely would have been selected. On the other hand, then he maybe wouldn't have raced to much.. eiter way, Trentino is officially one of the races I look forward to the most with the live coverage and the nicely looking route.

The only thing I could find was this which has his Vo2 estimated at 88.8 https://mobile.twitter.com/ammattipyoraily/status/723197819717189633
I'll admit I didn't see why he was getting so hyped up by some people but after watching him a couple of times this season I can why he is getting the hype, big talent and should go far.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Bernal’s VO2max, a measure of the oxygen a human can consume while exercising at maximum capacity, is recorded as being 88.8ml/kg/min. To put that into context, Miguel Indurain’s reported VO2max was 88, Greg Lemond’s 92.5.

“I did two tests in Italy. The other was after a cross-country World Cup event when I was well trained,” says Bernal. “The results were a little better than the result everyone talks about. I know I must follow it with hard work.”
Source: https://cyclingtips.com/2016/04/meet-egan-bernal-colombias-newest-cycling-sensation/

Edit: Anyway, I tink we shouldn't just focus on those numbers, remember Oskar Svendsen and his 97.2?
That said, both Bernal and Gaudu have already shown that they can hang with the big boys, they should have a bright future.
Yes, I've also heard about Kevin Rivera.
I'm not a big fan of Savio's new buisness moel, giving 4 year contracts to really talented neopros (I don't think that a neopro contracts should be that long) and then let the bigge teams buy them out for a decent amount of money, but at least he's open about it and it's not just something that happens behind closed doors.

TRENDING THREADS