• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The official Egan Bernal is the new Egan Bernal thread

Page 19 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

repre said:
Will he win Vuelta this year?))
Arredondo (the CN poster) tipped him for 3rd place in the Vuelta. While that is a bit unrealistic, I can easily see him top-10 and win a stage similarly to Superman Lopez last year. Maybe even a bit more than that. Bernal is simply just amazing and I think he is the biggest talent since Sagan.
Thinking about it tho, it becomes more and more realistic that he will have a Andy Schleck Giro 2007 type of performance in his first GT. Well if he doesn't become worn down and Froome returns.

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Any idea what Bernal's program is like?

Hopefully we can keep the forced Gaudu vs. Bernal feud meme of last year going on.

Anyway, for this year, when it comes to racing a small shitty stage race in your native country with only some glorified false flat for the climbers it's Bernal 1 Gaudu 0 :p

Maaaaaaaarten said:

Hopefully we can keep the forced Gaudu vs. Bernal feud meme of last year going on.

Anyway, for this year, when it comes to racing a small ****** stage race in your native country with only some glorified false flat for the climbers it's Bernal 1 Gaudu 0 :p

I think he said Catalonia, Basque Country and Ardennes classics.

Maaaaaaaarten said:

Anyway, for this year, when it comes to racing a small ****** stage race in your native country with only some glorified false flat for the climbers it's Bernal 1 Gaudu 0 :p
No certainties with Bernal's program at this point. Sky are still in doubt wether he'll ride Paris-Nice or Catalunya. I posted back in December he was likely for the Vuelta, so that's where they'll work from. I'm expecting them to drop the pressure a bit for now and let him ride Tour of the Alps and such.

DNP-Old said:
Maaaaaaaarten said:

No certainties with Bernal's program at this point. Sky are still in doubt wether he'll ride Paris-Nice or Catalunya. I posted back in December he was likely for the Vuelta, so that's where they'll work from. I'm expecting them to drop the pressure a bit for now and let him ride Tour of the Alps and such.

http://www.ciclismointernacional.com/egan-bernal-me-sorprendio-el-resultado-ya-que-no-esperaba-estar-ni-en-el-podio/

Just 9 days ago, should still be pretty accurate don't you think?

Re: Re:

Valv.Piti said:
repre said:
Arredondo (the CN poster) tipped him for 3rd place in the Vuelta. While that is a bit unrealistic, I can easily see him top-10 and win a stage similarly to Superman Lopez last year. Maybe even a bit more than that. Bernal is simply just amazing and I think he is the biggest talent since Sagan.
Thinking about it tho, it becomes more and more realistic that he will have a Andy Schleck Giro 2007 type of performance in his first GT. Well if he doesn't become worn down and Froome returns.
It's very hard to make any predictions cause this is only his first full season on a regular pro schedule, with the periodisation that goes with that.

Last year he rode basically rode very few races with the big boys, so while he was shredding some 2.2 race somewhere we have no clue how that compares the the riders duking it out for top 5 in Pais Vasco and the likes.

Then lastly there's the 3 week thing about GTs. We'll see how he does. There should be as little pressure possible on him in the Vuelta.

And ffs let him ride the men's RR at the Worlds.

liamito said:
DNP-Old said:
Maaaaaaaarten said:

http://www.ciclismointernacional.com/egan-bernal-me-sorprendio-el-resultado-ya-que-no-esperaba-estar-ni-en-el-podio/

Just 9 days ago, should still be pretty accurate don't you think?
The team said they weren't sure yet 5 days ago.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site

Valv.Piti said:
repre said:

I've tipped him for 3th because you need to gamble sometimes ;)

But still, i really think he will fight for the podium. I mean, we're talking about the biggest pure talent since Sagan like you said. If you compare him with Lopez, he's a much better TT'er and he can handle the muro's. He's one of the few riders who combines explosivity with really good climbing legs.

I started following the international cycling scene with Rujano and Parra going oldschool in Giro '05. Since then i was allways fond of Colombians and pure climbers in general, but i wasn't a dedicated fan mainly because in 2007 Contador and Andy Schleck were unleashed. After Contador retired i thought i will finally go back to Colombians and join Quintana's train but for now i think i'm joining in Bernal (mainly thanks to his recent ride in Colombia) and "Superman" Lopez (last Vuelta) hypetrains. I only hope that Sky won't destroy Bernal EA style. However, after this very imspired ride and recent clinical clouds around Froome i hope at least this year Sky will start working on their PR and be a bit less vampiric. Of course that's only my own opinion.

Colombian hype trains over the last years.
2013: Nairo is the new Pantani :cool:
2016: Forget Quintana, lopez is twice as talented :eek:
2018: Who the hell is Lopez? Bernal is the future goat. :eek: :eek:

By this rate Colombia is producing 5 Tour de France record winners every decade :lol:

This is a good test to see how well Sky can develop a young rider, no matter that Bernal is prodigiously talented - I hope that Sky selectively uses Bernal with an aim of around 60 race days - Mix in a few one day races with a leadership at something like California/Suisse/Poland and only ride the Vuelta if he is fresh.

Gigs_98 said:

By this rate Colombia is producing 5 Tour de France record winners every decade :lol:

What about all the Henao hype even before Nairo? Seems like it started with him.

We have to give Ryo some credit for pretty much starting it all and predicting the future Colombian wave of talent that was coming.

Gigs_98 said:
2018: Who the hell is Lopez? Bernal is the future goat. :eek:

I am still waiting for the messiah!
If Nairo, Lopez or Bernal cannot do it with their legs then let the Salbutamol do its work!!! :D

I forgot about Henao. LOL. You are right jaylew, I actually believed at the beginning that Henao was it.
Then came Nairo. But I never believed Ryo. Besides Nairo's size was a big hurdle for him to win the Tour. Then I saw how he obliterated everyone in that Pais Vasco race. Then I switched and started believing in him. At this moment still waiting. So far neither Lopez, Chaves, Betancur nor Bernal have shown something to convince me of changing again. Ok Bernal is showing huge promise. But is way too early to tell TBH.

And the Colombians in this forum are very tamed TBH. They are very grounded. The hype, believe it or not, comes from people from other countries. LOL. I don't blame them. They have been waiting from the second coming of Pantani and Contador (lately) for a long time.

Gigs_98 said:

It reminds me of the Everton football team in the late 90s/early 2000s. They had a string of young strikers who came through the youth team who were meant to be the next big thing - Branch, Cadamateri, Jeffers and others. Then eventually Rooney arrived.

jaylew said:
Gigs_98 said:

What about all the Henao hype even before Nairo? Seems like it started with him.

We have to give Ryo some credit for pretty much starting it all and predicting the future Colombian wave of talent that was coming.
Betancur anyone?

The Colombians are to cycling what the Brazilians are to football: sexy, except that the Brazilians win/won a lot and the Colombians not so much (it looks like a Netserk signature - sorry).

That's the Lucho spell: he was so new, and so good, we have been chasing for that rush again (now I'm sounding like Trump - except that Lucho is Hispanic).

Give me Bernal-Gaudu the next decade...please.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Re:

Escarabajo said:
I forgot about Henao. LOL. You are right jaylew, I actually believed at the beginning that Henao was it.
Then came Nairo. But I never believed Ryo. Besides Nairo's size was a big hurdle for him to win the Tour. Then I saw how he obliterated everyone in that Pais Vasco race. Then I switched and started believing in him. At this moment still waiting. So far neither Lopez, Chaves, Betancur nor Bernal have shown something to convince me of changing again. Ok Bernal is showing huge promise. But is way too early to tell TBH.

And the Colombians in this forum are very tamed TBH. They are very grounded. The hype, believe it or not, comes from people from other countries. LOL. I don't blame them. They have been waiting from the second coming of Pantani and Contador (lately) for a long time.

And it's even more funnier to think that the cycling community shared the belief Fabio Duarte could be the biggest of them all. I mean, 8/9 years ago everyone talked about the big four: Uran, Henao, Betancur and Duarte (before Quintana and Chaves came to the fore).

It shows that it takes more then just pure talent to be a great cyclist. It's also about having a strong mind (which was not the case with Duarte).

So basically just like every country.

Let's pick one randomly.
Germany. Remember the debate whether Ciolek would be the next Cipollini or Freire? Nevermind him, Herklotz will be the first great german climber. But wait, Herklotz is irrelevant, Kämna is Ullrich reborn!

3 years from now: Bernal, that scrub? Please, it's all about [name]

Arredondo said:
Escarabajo said:

And it's even more funnier to think that the cycling community shared the belief Fabio Duarte could be the biggest of them all. I mean, 8/9 years ago everyone talked about the big four: Uran, Henao, Betancur and Duarte (before Quintana and Chaves came to the fore).

It shows that it takes more then just pure talent to be a great cyclist. It's also about having a strong mind (which was not the case with Duarte).

I created a website for the colombian generation about 7 years ago. LOL. I haven't changed it since.
Badly written, just me typing away one day without editing.
Summary:
Ardila (32), Serpa (32), Duque (31) were the veterans.
SOLER (28) was King and was going to win the next tour.
Duarte (25) was exciting to watch.
Rigoberto Uran (24), Sergio Henao (23), Cayenato Sarmiento (24) and Winner Anacona (23) were all coming up.
Some guy called Carlos Betancourt (22) and another guy Nairo Quintana (21) were the ones you may not have heard of.
I did have some crazy predictions of those to watch:
Miguel Rubiano (27)
Rafael Infantino (27)
Esteban Chavez (21)
Edwin Avila (21) if he ever left the track
Giovani Baez (30)
Janier Acevedo (24)
And more importantly was this cute 20 year old girl Mariana Pajon that MAY, just MAY win an olympic medal.

Keep in mind that I did this in about 20 minutes and never went back to edit:
http://www.ospina.com

TRENDING THREADS