• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The official Egan Bernal is the new Egan Bernal thread

Page 28 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sep 13, 2016
Visit site
la gazzetta today reports that Sky are thinking of sending him to the Tour, in which case he wouldn't do dauphine. But they suggest it's only an idea/temptation, unlikely to materialise.

I see him going dauphine, followed by spanish summer: san seb., burgos, vuelta

Re:

lmrt said:
la gazzetta today reports that Sky are thinking of sending him to the Tour, in which case he wouldn't do dauphine. But they suggest it's only an idea/temptation, unlikely to materialise.

I think the only way he goes to the Tour is if Froome can’t ride it, and has to switch to the Vuelta. Which is still a possibility at this stage.

Re: Re:

Pricey_sky said:
lmrt said:

I think the only way he goes to the Tour is if Froome can’t ride it, and has to switch to the Vuelta. Which is still a possibility at this stage.
In the case I'll just repeat myself: I can't possibly believe that Sky is that ***. Without proper preparation and the first day nine days of this Tour, Egan will be slaughtered. The Vuelta is just much, much better.

Valv.Piti said:
Pricey_sky said:
lmrt said:

In the case I'll just repeat myself: I can't possibly believe that Sky is that ***. Without proper preparation and the first day nine days of this Tour, Egan will be slaughtered. The Vuelta is just much, much better.

Yes it’s very unlikely. Like many, id much rather him take a little break after the Dauphine, then get ready for Spain.

Valv.Piti said:
Pricey_sky said:
lmrt said:

If Moscon and Van Baarle can get him through that it's a guaranteed White Jersey though.

I have been critical of Sky's development of young riders and any thought to start him in the TDF is madness, and potentially could be detrimental to Bernal's development - I believe Bernal has already been over-raced - He's had 34 race days and if he does Dauphine and the TDF he'll have over 60 race days by the end of July - I'll also add that he's been team leader or ended up team leader for all these races, unlike most neo-pro's who just roll their legs - He's also had a program of only stage races with no one day races to help with his development - He should ride one GT in year one, one in year two in a free role and then consider GC in a GT in year three - He's is exceptionally talented but you need to adopt a long-term approach.

Re:

yaco said:
I have been critical of Sky's development of young riders and any thought to start him in the TDF is madness, and potentially could be detrimental to Bernal's development - I believe Bernal has already been over-raced - He's had 34 race days and if he does Dauphine and the TDF he'll have over 60 race days by the end of July - I'll also add that he's been team leader or ended up team leader for all these races, unlike most neo-pro's who just roll their legs - He's also had a program of only stage races with no one day races to help with his development - He should ride one GT in year one, one in year two in a free role and then consider GC in a GT in year three - He's is exceptionally talented but you need to adopt a long-term approach.
Not sure I agree with that rather slow learning curve. I mean, if you already are THIS good, there is nothing that should hold him back next year for riding GC in a 3 week tour.

But you are right about the one day races, but If im not mistaken, he has done a fair amount of the hard Itaian fall classics. He could do that again after the Vuelta unless he is completely gassed (which would be understandable).

Valv.Piti said:
yaco said:
Not sure I agree with that rather slow learning curve. I mean, if you already are THIS good, there is nothing that should hold him back next year for riding GC in a 3 week tour.

But you are right about the one day races, but If im not mistaken, he has done a fair amount of the hard Itaian fall classics. He could do that again after the Vuelta unless he is completely gassed (which would be understandable).

There is a difference riding a soft GC for experience and being a clearly defined team leader - Some are too impatient - Young riders should be given time to develop.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re:

Red Rick said:
I can't see how Tour would be for GC. Either he'd be overraced or going in without a prep race.

If he goes to the Tour to try and win it, he's gonna mess up his attempt to win the u23 worlds.
Yes, overraced, never raced a gt before and never tried the cobbles before, that would be a desaster.

Re:

yaco said:
Indeed, fully agreed, but everyone just wants more and more and more. He should lead that race, and he'll lead this race for sure! Those people will be the same who people who'll be yelling what a disappointment he's been after he's peaked by the time he's 24. We've seen it happen all before.

Re:

Red Rick said:
I can't see how Tour would be for GC. Either he'd be overraced or going in without a prep race.

If he goes to the Tour to try and win it, he's gonna mess up his attempt to win the u23 worlds.

He absolutely should not be riding the Tour, but the u23 worlds should not be a factor in his decision making. He is one of the best climbers in the world, riding for one of the biggest teams in the world. Not only should he not care about an espoir race, he shouldn’t even be eligible. Just about any pro race qualifies as a bigger fish to fry.

Re:

Koronin said:
Quintana raced the Tour in 2012 which was his first year. Granted he wasn't team leader, but ended up being the rider in the best position and ended up with his first podium due to circumstances. So don't see why Bernal can't race it.

That was in 2013 after having raced the Vuelta as a dom in 2012.

AlexNYC said:
Koronin said:
Quintana raced the Tour in 2012 which was his first year. Granted he wasn't team leader, but ended up being the rider in the best position and ended up with his first podium due to circumstances. So don't see why Bernal can't race it.

That was in 2013 after having raced the Vuelta as a dom in 2012.

Also he was two years older than Bernal is now and had a race schedule designed around a Tour ride.

Zinoviev Letter said:
Red Rick said:

He absolutely should not be riding the Tour, but the u23 worlds should not be a factor in his decision making. He is one of the best climbers in the world, riding for one of the biggest teams in the world. Not only should he not care about an espoir race, he shouldn’t even be eligible. Just about any pro race qualifies as a bigger fish to fry.
I was joking about the espoirs WCRR. It was in the plans at the start of the year I think, or at least not entirely sure he'd do the men's RR.

By now I guess it's clear to everyone he should go

Yeah, everyone (almost, I think) can agree that the Tour is an incredibly bad idea and that its kinda pathetic to race the u-23 race when you are THIS good. Doesn't really make sense.

Just go the Vuelta without pressure and race a couple of fall classics, hopefully including the real men's race in Innsbruck.

Red Rick said:
Zinoviev Letter said:
Red Rick said:

I was joking about the espoirs WCRR. It was in the plans at the start of the year I think, or at least not entirely sure he'd do the men's RR.

Sorry, too many years of reading this board have left me unable to distinguish crazy ideas from jokes!

Zinoviev Letter said:
Red Rick said:
Zinoviev Letter said:
Red Rick said:

Sorry, too many years of reading this board have left me unable to distinguish crazy ideas from jokes!
Yeah, guilty as well..

TRENDING THREADS