• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The official Egan Bernal is the new Egan Bernal thread

Page 32 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

lmrt said:
bernal no longer on dauphine startlist and is in colombia. Does that mean he will definitely start le Tour?
Well chances are now that he will be at the Tour in my opinion, yes. Thats disappointing, but at the same time I can't say that I am not intrigued. With the losses of Nieve and Landa, it gets a bit more understandable, but still.. He will probably lose a bunch of time in the first week, at least thats what I hope, since they not only have Froome, but also Thomas and Poels who probably will try to stay up there.

Its a scary team if he gets selected.

Re: Re:

Valv.Piti said:
lmrt said:
bernal no longer on dauphine startlist and is in colombia. Does that mean he will definitely start le Tour?
Well chances are now that he will be at the Tour in my opinion, yes. Thats disappointing, but at the same time I can't say that I am not intrigued. With the losses of Nieve and Landa, it gets a bit more understandable, but still.. He will probably lose a bunch of time in the first week, at least thats what I hope, since they not only have Froome, but also Thomas and Poels who probably will try to stay up there.

Its a scary team if he gets selected.

I don't think Poels will try to stay up there, and theres no point of Bernal intentionally losing time. I think the white jersey will be in the back of Sky's minds

87srLNK.png

It's happening, for ***'s sake.

The training designs Sky give him are completely normal for a 21 y/o, according to Egan. I beg to differ. 6h50m, 193k and 4736 vertical altitude meters is his latest Strava file, along with 32 race days in June and an incoming TDF participation.

MatParker117 said:
pastronef said:
Xabier Artetxe, Team Sky's coach: "Egan Bernal wil try the pavé soon, we have to recon the cobbled stage and try different bikes..."

https://www.twitter.com/faustocoppi60/status/1006965119421698050

going to the Tour

If he can get through the first week he will win at least white.
I'm still not buying that they're taking him.

He's never done a Grand Tour, he's only 21, he hasn't raced since California, he's never ridden cobbles, he's never ridden with Froome, he's not training now with the core mountain group, he's never done a TTT with Sky. This just doesn't seem like Sky's way of doing things.

So I was looking for sourcing on that and it turns out that Egan Bernal's girlfriend has a personal youtube channel running for him and it's really, well, sweet. And also very transparent. I noticed stopped posting his heart rate data on Strava after Gibraltar but the power numbers are still there -for the meantime, I'm reckon Sky will put an end to that at some point. They even got a team Sky coach to elaborate on his training regime live on camera. That has to be a first. On the flip side, baby-face does get listed among the guys he trains with.

Whatever else Egan, his family and even his coach, come off as good humble, genuinely nice people. I hope they keep this up. It seems very un-Sky like, for sure, but it might just go to show that Sky is either relaxing the reigns a bit or they're really keen on keeping him around.

But yeah, I do think he's gearing up for the Tour. There's a reason they sent a coach down to Colombia, and I'm guessing it wasn't just to say hi.

Parker said:
MatParker117 said:
pastronef said:
Xabier Artetxe, Team Sky's coach: "Egan Bernal wil try the pavé soon, we have to recon the cobbled stage and try different bikes..."

https://www.twitter.com/faustocoppi60/status/1006965119421698050

going to the Tour

If he can get through the first week he will win at least white.
I'm still not buying that they're taking him.

He's never done a Grand Tour, he's only 21, he hasn't raced since California, he's never ridden cobbles, he's never ridden with Froome, he's not training now with the core mountain group, he's never done a TTT with Sky. This just doesn't seem like Sky's way of doing things.
Then not selecting him for any races makes absolute no sense, and how about the cobbles?

Egan is riding, its probably 99%.

Re:

carton said:
So I was looking for sourcing on that and it turns out that Egan Bernal's girlfriend has a personal youtube channel running for him and it's really, well, sweet. And also very transparent. I noticed stopped posting his heart rate data on Strava after Gibraltar but the power numbers are still there -for the meantime, I'm reckon Sky will put an end to that at some point. They even got a team Sky coach to elaborate on his training regime live on camera. That has to be a first. On the flip side, baby-face does get listed among the guys he trains with.

Whatever else Egan, his family and even his coach, come off as good humble, genuinely nice people. I hope they keep this up. It seems very un-Sky like, for sure, but it might just go to show that Sky is either relaxing the reigns a bit or they're really keen on keeping him around.

But yeah, I do think he's gearing up for the Tour. There's a reason they sent a coach down to Colombia, and I'm guessing it wasn't just to say hi.
Listed? Sevilla and Egan train together almost on the daily. :D Marca even did an interview with Sevilla purely about Egan lmao.

Re:

carton said:

I was in Italy a few weeks ago and drove past a beat up old transit van mini bus type thing. On one side was a pretty dodgy looking screen print type photo of Egan, with the banner "Egan Bernal Fan Club". Took me by surprise considering he wasn't at the Giro, hope i get to see the van at the Tour...it was really cool and totally at odds with the slick Sky image.

Wish i'd got a photo but was driving at the time :cool:

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re: Re:

brownbobby said:
carton said:

I was in Italy a few weeks ago and drove past a beat up old transit van mini bus type thing. On one side was a pretty dodgy looking screen print type photo of Egan, with the banner "Egan Bernal Fan Club". Took me by surprise considering he wasn't at the Giro, hope i get to see the van at the Tour...it was really cool and totally at odds with the slick Sky image.

Wish i'd got a photo but was driving at the time :cool:
Yes, they already founded a local fan club in the piemont region where he stayed when he was riding for Androni, all their Latin American riders live there in a hotel, Nivolet is their favourite training climbs and all the local U23 riders want to train with them.
Fun story, the Hotel owns a few Chickens and Cows (to provide fresh milk and eggs for the guests) and when he's not on the road Ivan Ramiro Sosa gets up early to feed them and take care of them, he says that it reminds him of his home and helps him not to get homesick.

TRENDING THREADS