• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The official Egan Bernal is the new Egan Bernal thread

Page 39 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Valv.Piti said:
hazaran said:
Sky made him crash, huh? No, it's the useless teams like EF and Dimension Data. Cut them out and it's suddenly much safer.
I bet we even wouldn't notice. Such horrible and useless teams.
Thats a little harsch considering their small budgets. The obvious pick for a horrible and useless team would be Katusha. But I guess that's off topic.

Some serious hits for Egan Bernal this year. But I think he has the right mentality to cope with it.

Armchair cyclist said:
toolittle said:
Bernal had some serious crashes.
Most of greatest riders have less.

Most great riders have had no worse injury than Bernal has had?

He was out for about three weeks after being taken down at Catalunya. What is this set of great riders, the majority of whom have never had an injury needing three weeks off?

Many have had broken collarbones. Just off the top of my head: Alaphilippe knee injury and missed a good portion of last year. Contador broken leg, Froome broken foot, Cancellara some sort of back injury, Valverde broken kneecap, Gilbert internal injury at Amstel last year, I Izagirre fractured lumbar which required a two week hospital stay. I am sure there are more.

if the translation is right, it seems that he already had surgery to his nose and mouth, lost some teeths .

Muchas gracias a todas las personas que han estado pendientes y han enviado mensajes de apoyo, ayer mi caída estuvo algo fuerte pero ya me hicieron operación en la nariz y en la boca, ahora tengo que ponerle un par de dientes que se me cayeron .....pero,bueno.. paciencia

https://twitter.com/Eganbernal/status/1026197255831920643

Re:

CTQ said:
if the translation is right, it seems that he already had surgery to his nose and mouth, lost some teeths .

Muchas gracias a todas las personas que han estado pendientes y han enviado mensajes de apoyo, ayer mi caída estuvo algo fuerte pero ya me hicieron operación en la nariz y en la boca, ahora tengo que ponerle un par de dientes que se me cayeron .....pero,bueno.. paciencia

https://twitter.com/Eganbernal/status/1026197255831920643

Oh damn losing teeth is never good. And he had a great smile too, hopefully the new ones will look just as good.

toolittle said:
Bernal had some serious crashes.
Most of greatest riders have less.

Give him a break, hes a young kid.....bike handling and the sort of nous that lets you be in the right position at the right time to avoid crashes comes with experience.

Crashes he's had this year are no reflection on his ability to achieve greatness, not yet anyway...

Statement from SKY:

Egan underwent surgery on Saturday night to repair his top lip, which was split in the crash, and to reduce his nasal fracture.

He will undergo dental surgery in the coming weeks to repair a number of missing, broken and fractured teeth.

Egan will rest completely for at least three weeks after also suffering a small bleed on the brain during the crash.

The young Colombian will continue to be closely monitored by our medical team and we will bring you updates as he continues his recovery.

We would like to thank everyone who has sent Egan their best wishes over the past few days.

Was it this year he broke his collarbone and shoulder blade? Yes, Catalunya... I guess it takes a special rider to have such a great season results-wise despite all those injuries.
Hopefully he'll be well soon.

Edited by King Boonen.

Hope he recovers quickly. I can't imagine how much pain broken and knocked out teeth, a seriously split lip and nasal fractures must have been. Tough kid. As for crashing, some of it is positioning, some of it is bike handling and some bad luck. Look at Sagan -- he's routinely cited as one of the best bike handlers yet he had a solo crash at the TdF that nearly cost him the green jersey.

Re:

Bolder said:
Hope he recovers quickly. I can't imagine how much pain broken and knocked out teeth, a seriously split lip and nasal fractures must have been. Tough kid. As for crashing, some of it is positioning, some of it is bike handling and some bad luck. Look at Sagan -- he's routinely cited as one of the best bike handlers yet he had a solo crash at the TdF that nearly cost him the green jersey.

yeah i think id rather have a broken leg than his facial injuries

I read somewhere that he can't now ride Vuelta, was he really going to ride Vuelta?

del1962 said:
Bolder said:

yeah i think id rather have a broken leg than his facial injuries

I read somewhere that he can't now ride Vuelta, was he really going to ride Vuelta?
Well obviously, a broken leg usually doesn't really leave any traces on the outside.

He posted this:
gJyOlUz.png

Google translation:
"The bad thing about not having teeth is that I can not eat and it's my turn to just drink sopitas, but the good thing is that I'm not going to get fat these days for not riding a bike"

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Kid got arrogant. He told media that Sky wasn't the problem during the boring Tour, but other teams were too afraid to attack.

Yeah, geez, I wonder why they didn't attack just to get chased down by 6 men of Sky.

del1962 said:
Bolder said:
Hope he recovers quickly. I can't imagine how much pain broken and knocked out teeth, a seriously split lip and nasal fractures must have been.

As somebody who has faceplanted at very high speed whilst snowboarding on a dry slope, I can give you some insight into that. It's a great deal of pain. Take however much pain you think it might involve, multiply it by five and you're starting to get close. It was before everybody had cameras on their phones so sadly I don't have a picture to share but I pretty much looked like The Rock had hit me in the face with a cricket bat. Felt like it too.

Re:

El Pistolero said:
Kid got arrogant. He told media that Sky wasn't the problem during the boring Tour, but other teams were too afraid to attack.

Yeah, geez, I wonder why they didn't attack just to get chased down by 6 men of Sky.

Probably isn't very bright either.
Maybe he thought it was too easy for him. Lol.

What do you expect him to say? he is 21 years old!

Re:

El Pistolero said:

I think that's way too harsh. And unkind.

He's young and perhaps a little naive but not arrogant. No reason to cast aspersions on his intelligence, either.

Re:

El Pistolero said:

Might have been the way it was translated, but I understood it as him wanting people to attack so he'd have an excuse to get dropped.
And not understanding that if he was on his limits, then quite a few other people probably were as well.

Re:

El Pistolero said:

When Luke Rowe can lead the peloton over HC climbs of course it’s the other teams faults for not attacking...it played right into sky hands.... and don’t say Rowe was setting a hard pace

TRENDING THREADS