• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The official Egan Bernal is the new Egan Bernal thread

Page 68 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Not yet but it was obvious from the images of him grimacing early in the climb. When he said after the Ventoux stage last month that his back was still troubling him that was a really bad sign of things to come. The problem is there‘s no proper treatment for the condition he has so we can’t be sure he’ll ever be 100% again,
He's got to have been screeing inside and out, right? Makes me wonder that if it was still bothering him why the hell he was doing STRADE of all races.

Bernal said that this would be a transition year. And that he would have to deal with the backpain all this year. He feels that he can be full again in 2022. I don't know about that, but he said that.

As for his position, he needs to address his gear ratios. They look very hard for a climb like this.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2021
Visit site
I read his comments differently. This emphasis on "I trust my team coach and I believe in the process" sounds to me like you are trying to convince yourself everything is on the right way. But I sense doubts are creeping in. No wonder, he is very young and has every right to be impatient. And patience he needs as Daniel Schade, the sport scientist in charge of Bernal's back says that we probably won't see the effects of the adjustments until 2022 or 2023. Now I feel Egan is on a similar level as last year. He was in the thick of the action then but clearly below Roglic's level and this year in the shadow of Pogacar. These repeating defeats must be mentally really difficult as the Colombian had been hyped as "bestia", won the Tour so young and many experts thought of the new era of his dominance. What I like about Egan, though. and I saw that today is that he is a fighter, grimacing with clenched teeth as he crossed the line two min behind Tadej. And the last thing: isn't he the rider with the most hunched position on the bike? Doesn't it play part in his back problems or it's just his style?

I read his comments differently. This emphasis on "I trust my team coach and I believe in the process" sounds to me like you are trying to convince yourself everything is on the right way. But I sense doubts are creeping in. No wonder, he is very young and has every right to be impatient. And patience he needs as Daniel Schade, the sport scientist in charge of Bernal's back says that we probably won't see the effects of the adjustments until 2022 or 2023. Now I feel Egan is on a similar level as last year. He was in the thick of the action then but clearly below Roglic's level and this year in the shadow of Pogacar. These repeating defeats must be mentally really difficult as the Colombian had been hyped as "bestia", won the Tour so young and many experts thought of the new era of his dominance. What I like about Egan, though. and I saw that today is that he is a fighter, grimacing with clenched teeth as he crossed the line two min behind Tadej. And the last thing: isn't he the rider with the most hunched position on the bike? Doesn't it play part in his back problems or it's just his style?
Well, yeah, if they said 2022 and 2023 we won't know then. It could be true that there are other performing problems but we don't have reason to doubt that he should have higher level at his age now either.

I agree with you that his position doesn't make him any favors nor his large gear ratios. But it is so, so hard to change one's position. I haven't seen a rider that changes his climbing position over the years. I have seen them adjusting position on the TT but not on the regular bikes. Maybe someone that has more knowledge can point me to someone who has changed position over the years.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Feb 13, 2021
Visit site
Egan fidgets like a bored child on a saddle of his TT bike. Can't anyone explain to him that's where he wastes some of his power? Or maybe, as Escarabajo mentioned earlier, he uses too high gear ratio and the whole body movement becomes inevitable.

Reactions: Sandisfan

TRENDING THREADS