• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The official Egan Bernal is the new Egan Bernal thread

Page 79 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
A wonderful cyclist and he seems to be a great guy, too. I'm so happy to see him on this level. Good for him, good for the sport, good for his fans and good for cycling enthusiasts. The only negative side has to be, that he has no competition for the maglia rosa at the moment. I'm looking forward to see him finish strong this Giro and can't wait for his next races, hopefully against Pogačar and Roglič, too.

I will do that! Thanks for the reccomendation!
Finestre is imho overrated in terms of spectacele. It's just someone putting in a lot more watts / kg in than others. Giro 2015 from start to finish is the thing to watch if you want to see Giro in magic.

On Bernal, he has well consolidated his lead and deserving all the praise. Wish he wouldn't ride for Ineos but the guy is sympathetic and a true champion.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Simoni in 2003?
Basso in 2006?
Contador in 2011?
Froome in 2018?

Just from the top of my head.
2018? Come on... Froome wasn't even trying his best until Zoncolan and smashed competition with 80 kms solo on Finestre (in spectacular style, agree). I wouldn't call it a very good performance overall...

Contador in 2011 is far more similar to Egan in 2021. Both looking like adults racing against juniors.

Reactions: Publicus
It was great seeing him attack when he did not have to and it’s great seeing him take of his rain jacket when he did not have to. If that’s penache then this guy‘s got a lot of it. I’m currently rooting for him though that may change once he stacks up against my compatriots :)

Reactions: Sandisfan
I think all that back issue might've had a beneficial impact on him paradoxically (well, struggle usually makes you stronger). His reaction after winning the stage 9 really shows how much he's gone through in the last year.
It's really remarkable how much he appreciates to be able to be back at the highest level. I haven't seen a rider, been so much focused during the race, always being in the right place and time as he is, for quite a long time. He seems to be taking anything for granted, so much cool-headed and humble.

Reactions: BlueRoads
I think all that back issue might've had a beneficial impact on him paradoxically (well, struggle usually makes you stronger). His reaction after winning the stage 9 really shows how much he's gone through in the last year.
It's really remarkable how much he appreciates to be able to be back at the highest level. I haven't seen a rider, been so much focused during the race, always being in the right posiotion as he is, for quite a long time. He seems to be taking anything for granted, so much cool-headed and humble.

There's his focus and concentration, but also his will to put on a show. I think he feels he has to prove something, after everybody was talking about Roglic and Pogacar and he was the "unfullfilled" young Tour winner, like "yes, he won the Tour, but would he really have if the route had happened as planned, and also he didn't, technically, even win a stage..." and he didn't get to wear yellow for long in that Tour.

Bernal and Pogacar is the most likable riders in the peloton. You can only support them.
I have nothing against Pogacar, but personally, Bernal - in spite of riding for Ineos - is a rider i can't imagine anyone disliking. He genuinely seems like a nice, friendly, honest, humble guy. After his crash 3 years ago, and his recurring backproblems, you can't but wish him all the best.

I don't feel the same for Pogacar, while i have nothing against him either. He seems like a cool guy in a dorky kind of way, but somehow it feels like it's more staged.

I have nothing against Pogacar, but personally, Bernal - in spite of riding for Ineos - is a rider i can't imagine anyone disliking. He genuinely seems like a nice, friendly, honest, humble guy. After his crash 3 years ago, and his recurring backproblems, you can't but wish him all the best.

I don't feel the same for Pogacar, while i have nothing against him either. He seems like a cool guy in a dorky kind of way, but somehow it feels like it's more staged.
I'm sticking with the positives going for Bernal. He has taken the time to be thoughtful in press responses and very respectful of other riders; especially teammates.
Comparing two people you've never met and assigning perceptions is OK, isn't it? Just can't take it too seriously in cycling.

WOW!! 80km solo mode and won +3minutes. Absolutely incredible. Made my day! thanks
Are there any other attacks like that?
2006 Tour de France, an attack by the absolute legend Floyd Landis.

But if we are talking Giro stages, you can also go ahead and look at the stage to Risoul from 2016, Lagu Serru from 2019, a couple of bangers like Aprica and Sestrieres from 2015 and many more.

Reactions: Krzysztof_O

TRENDING THREADS