• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The official Egan Bernal is the new Egan Bernal thread

Page 82 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
It'll be interesting what comes out about today after the race is done and dusted. Not sure we'll hear anything concrete or true while the race is active.

It's an odd choice to personally chase Yates if he wasn't 100% (especially given Martinez clearly wasn't done at the time) so perhaps it was just the legs going after a misjudgement, but I suppose it's also plausible he felt something in the back on the steeper grinds that he'd felt (or ignored) before and dialled it back.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Well, Martinez embodies a certain habit, isn't he? As a strong domestique, he also rode meters ahead of Sivakov at this year TotA as he did today at Bernal to accelerate the pace. It doesn't have to be a bad thing. He shows the whole world (and his team bosses) that he himself has claims after his overall victory at the Dauphine 2020 and a great stage win in the Tour in the same year. During the last ~300 meters he was looking back to Bernal like every second. Someone from the team car might gave him a call. I like him.

Were we? If he races like he did for the first 2 weeks for 3 him vs Pogacar is f*cking tough to call. So I do think the reaction was valid, it was just completely impossible to predict he would suddenly lose almost a minute to Yates today.

Bernal will lose minutes in the ITT to Pogacar, even at the level he has shown in the first 2 weeks I doubt he can make that up.

Reactions: Lui98 and Eeslliw
Bernal will lose minutes in the ITT to Pogacar, even at the level he has shown in the first 2 weeks I doubt he can make that up.
Probably, but let's wait until they have a proper battle first. So far Pogacar's PdBF TT is a complete outlier and before that it's not like he was absolutely unbeatable on the climbs. On the Col de la Loze he lost 30 seconds to MAL and I have no reason to believe Bernal wouldn't be even better.
Needless to say though, I don't know if Pogacar doesn't further improve drastically. If that happens that would of course change my view on the comparison of the two.

Were we? If he races like he did for the first 2 weeks for 3 him vs Pogacar is f*cking tough to call. So I do think the reaction was valid, it was just completely impossible to predict he would suddenly lose almost a minute to Yates today.

Pogacar at his best can sustain a VAM of 1850 m/h on an 8% climb. Not sure if anyone can match it but Bernal and Yates have best chances in uphill mano-a-mano against the Slovenian. Obviously anyone can have a worse day (Pog lost some time on Loze, Bernal lost even more today). But a GT is not only about climbing speed. It's also about TT-ing (Pog is a much better TT-ist even excluding PDBF performance) and consistency/regeneration over 3 weeks (Pog showed his best performances at the very end of GTs he took part). In a mountains dominated GT (with very few kms of TT) Bernal would give Pog a run for his money but the more TT kms there is the bigger advantage for the Slovenian.

Last edited:
I don't think it was surprising at all given how he raced the first two weeks. I think it's something he had to learn, you can't win multiple grand tours by pulling on the flats everytime your media narrative "rival" is dropping. Maybe you can eke out one or two. But the way to win a fair few is by picking your spots and otherwise playing it safe and relying on your team.

Lot has been said about Remco coming into the race with suboptimal preparation for a GT, but to a lesser extent that applies to Bernal too. His back flared up during Tirreno and he did not do a single raceday after that before the Giro. He is much more experienced as GC racer than Remco, and as such able to cope much better with it, but it still could play a part in him having a bad day today, specially given the extremely difficult weather conditions of this Giro which have had to have taken more out of the riders than weatber usually does.

Last edited:
I got a Froome/Wiggo vibe from Martinez today, I really didnt like his antics. Looked like 50% trying to help, 50% humiliation/showing he was much stronger

It was rather tough love and raw encouragement from Dani to Egan - the kind of Ol' school type where even insults & knowing what to say to your mate to ignite the grinta in him.

All cool & fine among themselves :beercheers::beercheers:

Probably, but let's wait until they have a proper battle first. So far Pogacar's PdBF TT is a complete outlier and before that it's not like he was absolutely unbeatable on the climbs. On the Col de la Loze he lost 30 seconds to MAL and I have no reason to believe Bernal wouldn't be even better.
Needless to say though, I don't know if Pogacar doesn't further improve drastically. If that happens that would of course change my view on the comparison of the two.
PDBF is an outlier cuase the route was a ridiculous outlier, but Pogs ITT results in UAE and Tirreno tell me his ITTs, while not the best in the world are still up there with the top tier of GC riders.

Meanwhile, Col de La Loze is sort of cherry picking Pogacars only time he got dropped in the Tour, and his result was still good in the end. Also don't think you can blindly claim Bernal would put half a minute into MAL there when MAL is a guy with high highs and low lows.

Funny to read that even if you are almost a perfect team mate like Martinez you still receive critisism.

If your leader is bad, like Bernal was today, it is very hard to make him look not bad. Martinez tried to pace and motivate Bernal as best he could. He even made sure the gap to Caruso was as small as possible.

If it wasnt for his fall/slow downhill on the Giau and his domestique duties he would now be in perfect position to contend for a podium himself. But he has never shown for a second that he has problems sacrificing his own chances.

TRENDING THREADS