• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The official Egan Bernal is the new Egan Bernal thread

Page 110 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Bernal had won a tour and a Giro before anybody had even heard of Vingegaard. He is also young and still improving. He's certainly better than Thomas who is 36 and didn't finish 10 minutes behind. Your hyperbole re JV is silly.

Thomas may be 36 but he is in great shape nonetheless, I don't think a top Bernal would have done much better than Thomas, he would have lost at least 2 minutes in the time trials and I don't see him putting much more than that on Thomas in the mountains.

I don’t think Bernal has ever reached a level where he would have been able to compete with Pogacar and Vingegaard here. But then again he never really had to.

Who knows. First question is if Bernal will get back to his own best. If he manages that we can see if he can compete with Vingegaard and Pogacar.

2019 Thomas is not even close to 2018 Thomas so of course Bernal would not have a chance against these 2 beasts.
Who knows- especially as his recovery from injury is unknown. However i suspect you are incorrect. Bernal is a x2 GT champion (winning 2 before Vignegaard had even podiumed the Tour)supported by the 2nd best GT team in the peloton at his best he is a better climber than Thomas (granted a worse TTer) - stages like the Grannon would have suited perfectly. Who knows where he would have finished as it is all supposition, but I suspect closer than you think- though still behind Pog and Vignegaard.

who knows what level he can acheive post injury, but given the severity i would be surprised if he could reach his former level.

Reactions: SHAD0W93
Bernal at his best was still just not complete enough to be able to beat Pogacar or Vingegaard in any GT that has some TT kms. At best he would have been able to follow them uphill but put one TT in there and it's over.

I hope he does return to his best level though, he was a very entertaining rider to watch.
Conversely you could say that Pogacar hasn't competed againt Bernal in a grand tour when Bernal was in his best climbing form such as he was in 2018/19. The TT is an issue obviously and an advantage for Pogacar and Vingegaard as it was for Froome as well. Injuries and crashes over the past few seasons have stalled Bernal although he never really looked like losing the 2021 Giro. I thought he won that race with something in hand. but that race was also missing some good riders. Caruso rode well but will never threaten the Tour podium not now anyway.

Time will tell in Burgos.

Anyways, what races will you realistically race as Egan Bernal if not the Vuelta? There aren't many races, and if youre not injured anymore, whats the point in NOT doing the Vuelta?
Because he is probably not strong enough yet to get a good result, so it's all about getting some race rhythm before next season. There's no rush. Let him build his form for the Italian fall classics.

Reactions: Sandisfan
If Egan goes to the Vuelta, I honestly see him if he’s able, to hunt stages. Get some breakaway legs in, or fold into super dom work. Regardless, the fact we are talking about his eminent return 6 months after his life threatening crash is already a huge victory.
Not even super dom work. Just chill at the back of the peloton and maybe only come out for a few mountain stages to either do work for the leader or go in breakaway.

I'm glad he'll be able to return to racing, yet his fitness & level will remain an enigma. The last 2 years have been quite bittersweet for Egan, going from a great success by wining Il Giro in 2021, just to deal with that horrible accident......... It seems to me his best year is always followed by a disastrous one i.e. 2019 Tour winner, then 2020 back injury, 2021 Giro winner & now 2022 will likely be fruitless... :disappointed:

Last edited:
Bernal at his best was still just not complete enough to be able to beat Pogacar or Vingegaard in any GT that has some TT kms. At best he would have been able to follow them uphill but put one TT in there and it's over.

I hope he does return to his best level though, he was a very entertaining rider to watch.
At the very least he could be a rider no one could afford to get away on a climb. That would be valuable to Ineos if they find a reliable #1 GT contender that isn't getting on in years.

I'm glad he'll be able to return to racing, yet his fitness & level will remain an enigma. The last 2 years has been quite bittersweet for Egan, going from a great success by wining Il Giro winner in 2021, just to deal with that horrible accident......... It seems to me his best year is followed by a disastrous one i.e. 2019 Tour winner, then 2020 back injury, 2021 Giro winner & now 2022 will likely be fruitless... :disappointed:
I hate to repeat old warnings but cycling is littered with young riders that had received bad coaching advice. Seems every aero consultant wants to form their younger guys into the same position we see of Remco and that photo of Leipheimer. They ignore the rider's continuing growth in stature and strength and totally compromise the core strength they need to protect the lower back. If an irritating back issue shows up early enough it can save a rider's career but takes a good year or two to compensate for the prior position. Your observation is a good chronology of talent that may be wasted. Hopefully not; he's one of my favorite riders.

If he will be back close to his former level in the future he is at least a very strong contender.

Things can also happen in a GT that no one can control. Pog or Vingegaard can crash out/poor form/get sick and so on... something happens and Bernal is suddenly the favorite in the race, if in great form.

TRENDING THREADS