• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The official Great Bauke Mollema thread

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
he'd lose ten seconds in the switch but would the gain be worth it?? in the usa pro challenge they rode on tt bikes for the vail mtt and for the giro mtt it was mixed so I honestly have no idea whether a road bike would make a massive difference or not. obviously in a tt like plan de corones the choice is obvious :D. as well as that im jw about mollema's choice of bike: he rides a more aero giant propel on road stages, so why does he choose that instead of using a lighter giant tcr which would make a difference in the road mountain stages??

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Mollema says they practiced switching bike and he is seriously contemplating riding the flat bit with a ITT bike and the mountain bit with a normal bike.

this is the best idea i think. the split between flat part and climb is really interestingly done.

16 km's of flat at 48 km/h (maybe slower a bit maybe faster) is about ~20 minutes.
10 km's of climbing at 22 km/h is roughly ~30 minutes of effort.

Both of these are long enough to make it worthwhile to use the specific bike, so a switch is a net gain. especially if there is a real slow corner where they can make the switch before the climb.

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
either that or set up his aero giant propel with aero bars and medium dish wheels? most riders in a tt like this seem to use an aero frame with medium dish wheels which is a compromise between both....

nick101 said:
either that or set up his aero giant propel with aero bars and medium dish wheels? most riders in a tt like this seem to use an aero frame with medium dish wheels which is a compromise between both....
I don't think the Propel is fast enough on the flat. He'll lose at least a minute to the guys on TT bikes. Gesink lost a lot of time as well, in the flat part of the Giro TT, and he's a much better TTist on the flat than Mollema.

A bike switch is definitely worth it.

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Because Mollema started cycling late and struggled a bit with ilness in his early pro years, it's a bit of a mystery how much development he has left. He should keep on developing a bit longer than guys who al ready cycled all their life and lived like a pro and developed properly since espoir years, but exactly how much Mollema can develop is intresting to me. It seems like he has made a step forward this year though. :)

Hope this step forward is also noticable in his TT and in the TDF.

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Maaaaaaaarten said:
Because Mollema started cycling late and struggled a bit with ilness in his early pro years, it's a bit of a mystery how much development he has left. He should keep on developing a bit longer than guys who al ready cycled all their life and lived like a pro and developed properly since espoir years, but exactly how much Mollema can develop is intresting to me. It seems like he has made a step forward this year though. :)

Hope this step forward is also noticable in his TT and in the TDF.
Why not Vuelta or Giro? Anyways, I dont see this Tour de Suisse as a step forward.

Somehow he reminds me a bit of Hennie Kuiper, quite a compliment.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Kwibus said:
Not really the point. It's just that very few people can give their utmost all if they know they are going for a 2nd place. Unless that person usually is material for a lot lower positions.

You are right, but you also know it's not that simple.

I can agree to that. There definitely isn't the same motivation sprinting for 2nd as opposed to sprinting for 1st. In a sprint you should always try to give it your all, but I agree it can be difficult to do if you don't have the motivation too.

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Afrank said:
I can agree to that. There definitely isn't the same motivation sprinting for 2nd as opposed to sprinting for 1st. In a sprint you should always try to give it your all, but I agree it can be difficult to do if you don't have the motivation too.
Mollema's DS approves on that one.

#onzin

Parrulo said:
Lol excuses, he should consider himself lucky that publicity sign slowed Costa and TJVG otherwise he wouldn't even have the chance to sprint for "second" :rolleyes:

p.s. Inb4 D_T with lame motorbike slowing down Mollema excuse
Hurt Portuguese pride... Mollema did say Costa was the strongest. He just didn't know he was sprinting for the win.

BTW why do you think Mollema was lucky? Look at this picture, he had joined them already. He was slowed down more than Costa and Tejay.

get-pic.php

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Costa had to unclip and they were coming into that corner right when it happened. By the time Mollema had gotten there they had already managed to lift it up and he was able to just ride through it. Obviously they were slowed down more than him.

theyoungest said:
Hurt Portuguese pride... Mollema did say Costa was the strongest. He just didn't know he was sprinting for the win.

Not really, saying "ya X was the strongest, but i didn't knew i was fighting for the first place" is pretty much the same as "Ya X was the strongest, but if i knew in was fighting for first place i might have beaten him."

Anyway its not that i have a problem with this excuse, i just thought it was funny to see this excuse on top of DT "motorbike" excuse and some other guy "publicity sign" excuse.

It almost seems like the whole universe is against Mollema if we take them seriously :D

Afrank said:
Costa had to unclip and they were coming into that corner right when it happened. By the time Mollema had gotten there they had already managed to lift it up and he was able to just ride through it. Obviously they were slowed down more than him.

Not true, Mollema got off his bike and helped the organizers lift the sign for the next group to pass, then he got back up on his bike and since he is TGBM he still managed to catch Costa and almost outsprint him!!!!

LEGEND!!!!

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Parrulo said:
Not true, Mollema got off his bike and helped the organizers lift the sign for the next group to pass, then he got back up on his bike and since he is TGBM he still managed to catch Costa and almost outsprint him!!!!

LEGEND!!!!

How did I miss that! :eek: Incredible! He really is THE GREAT BAUKE MOLLEMA!!!

:D

Parrulo said:
Not really, saying "ya X was the strongest, but i didn't knew i was fighting for the first place" is pretty much the same as "Ya X was the strongest, but if i knew in was fighting for first place i might have beaten him."

Anyway its not that i have a problem with this excuse, i just thought it was funny to see this excuse on top of DT "motorbike" excuse and some other guy "publicity sign" excuse.

It almost seems like the whole universe is against Mollema if we take them seriously :D

You must be really stupid if you interpret that like that :rolleyes:

Portuguese Calimeros are worse than Belgians ;)

I don't care one way or the other, the fact is that Mollema had almost closed the gap on Costa and Tejay before they reached the collapsed sign, and afterwards they were way ahead. So you can argue all you like that Mollema benefited from it, I don't believe you.

May 28, 2012
Visit site
It's hard to tell what Mollema did at the collapsed arch in the replay, so after having seen that I thought Mollema was talking BS when he said he almost caught the two up front. The TdW photograph however gives us a better insight.

TRENDING THREADS