• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The official Wilco Kelderman is the new Merckx-thread

Page 19 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Giro mountains just too steep and long for him I think. More of a tour rider clearly

But I think he did really good considering his size and age. Very few riders can stay competitive for three weeks at such a young age and although he faded a bit in the end, I'm satisfied with his performance overall.

Probably more of Tour rider, but he doesn't focus on the Tour only in years to come.

Why on earth is Kelderman riding the Dauphine? Does Belkin want to burn him out or what?

In my opinion going from the Giro to Dauphine can only be wise if one's form were on an upward trajectory towards the end of the Giro. That clearly wasn't the case for Wilco, rather the other way around. He should be resting now, particularly if they want to send him to the Vuelta as well...

maltiv said:
Why on earth is Kelderman riding the Dauphine? Does Belkin want to burn him out or what?

In my opinion going from the Giro to Dauphine can only be wise if one's form were on an upward trajectory towards the end of the Giro. That clearly wasn't the case for Wilco, rather the other way around. He should be resting now, particularly if they want to send him to the Vuelta as well...
The MTT wasn't great, but then his performance on the Zoncolan was quite strong for a rider of his profile, losing little over a minute to the pure climbers. Last year he did the Tour de Suisse, when his form was clearly gone. Whereas Stef Clement almost made the top-10 in the Dauphiné, coming off a reasonable Giro. They probably think: if Clement can do it...

Kelderman was definately NOT on his last legs in the final stages. According to all his interviews he still felt the legs were great.

His strava files of the grappa and Zoncolan stages also suggest no great downfall compared to earlier stages.
The top GC riders just went all-in. And they were simply better than him.

I think he could do a good GC if he recuperated as well as in the Giro itself.

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
From the Belkin website:

“Een tijdrit is altijd lastig en een gevecht tegen jezelf, maar het ging vandaag lekker”, aldus Kelderman. “Ik startte vroeg en zette meteen de snelste tijd neer. Gelukkig ging Jungels er snel onderdoor. Ik wist dat er in het laatste uur een aantal snelle mannen zouden rijden die mijn tijd vermoedelijk wel zouden verbeteren. Als ik een paar uur in de hot-seat had moeten zitten, was dat zonde van de tijd geweest.”

"A time trial is always difficult and a fight against yourself, but today it went well", said Kelderman. "I started early and immediately clocked the fastest time. Luckily Jungels clocked a faster time rapidly. I knew in the last hour there would have been a couple of fast guys who presumably would have beaten my time. If I had to be in the hot seat for a couple of hours, that would have been a waste of time."

Amazing guy :D

jens_attacks said:
well keeping in mind that all that data was over the place calibrated in il giro, you shouldn't expect anything.

lol, there were only a few ET level performances in the Giro. Way below last year even.

Today I saw none. Sure some riders are still "too" good, but none are not in alien mode at this time. Of course it can change even in this race.

Lets have the data.....

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Maybe I am no expert in Dutch cycling but I have never seen this from either
Gesink or Mollema.... Maybe gesink in his early years at the vuelta?

Impressive.

Gesink was 20 when he dropped everyone bar Evans on the other side of the Ventoux in Paris Nice. Just by on the front himself at 6km to go.
Gesink was 22 (1 year younger than Kelderman now) when he was battling for the Vuelta win with Valverde..

So yeah, have seen it before. So Kelderman is no guarantee for anything.. If you take a few bad falls and whatnot, you may never achieve the same level or potential you had before. He'll have to be lucky.

It's easier to get to the top then to stay there

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Kelderman doesn't need to ride the Vuelta anymore, and shouldn't. I think today played out just like he imagined, namely to ride uphill with the big guys. Let's see where this progression will lead to, when he starts the Tour in 2015.

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
yeah but i have never seen Gesink following a full gas LA.....
P-N and even the vuelta are different level then attacking an in form Alien like froome....

But dutch cyclists seem to mature early. I did race myself on junior level and they alreday work very professional at a very young age at that time.

In my time my team already raced with radio communication( around year 2001) , training in the alps and vosges etc. But the rabo teams seemed to be even more professional at that time wit a very international program etc.

So I am afraid they have little room to improve.