• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The official Wilco Kelderman is the new Merckx-thread

Page 28 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 24, 2016
Visit site
Re: Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Red Rick said:
The Dutch that are hyped the youngest, typically end up as the most hopeless causes, i.e. Gesink, Kelderman
and the ones that are overlooked a little like Dumoulin and Poels (by the big press) are the best in the end

I would add Kruisjwijk to that list, he was probably the less hyped among Gesink, Mollema, Kelderman etc and finally has ended up being the most solid GC contender.

Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
But that's also because Kruijswijk is the only one really chosing to focus on another GT than the Tour.

I'm pretty sure Mollema especially could have done a podium or 2 already if he focussed fully on Giro or Vuelta
Maybe, but still easier said than done. I still think Gesink is better in GT's than Mollema and even he failed time after time.

Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
Kelderman still has loads of talent. No two riders evolve the same way. Look at Froome; at age 23 he finished 84th in the TdF. At the same age Kelderman finished 7th in the Giro. Kelderman needs to evolve further to become a real GC contender, I think that he needs to focus on his mental strenght but such qualities can come with age.

Jul 24, 2016
Visit site

Bardamu said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
But that's also because Kruijswijk is the only one really chosing to focus on another GT than the Tour.

I'm pretty sure Mollema especially could have done a podium or 2 already if he focussed fully on Giro or Vuelta
Maybe, but still easier said than done. I still think Gesink is better in GT's than Mollema and even he failed time after time.

I think Mollema is the kind of rider that one way or another would lose his podium chances any time, and not just speaking about illness or crashes, he is not a brilliant rider. I know it's probably the worst time so say that after his pretty good two first weeks of Tour, but I think that was more of a glimmer provided by the general mediocrity of the race and the riders than a real step forward.

When I talked about Kruisjwijk, I meant that he is the only one that has shown brilliance, the ability to dominate a GT as he did last Giro. That's something the other dutch riders have not been able to even get close in my opinion.

Re:

SoigneurNL said:
Kelderman still has loads of talent. No two riders evolve the same way. Look at Froome; at age 23 he finished 84th in the TdF. At the same age Kelderman finished 7th in the Giro. Kelderman needs to evolve further to become a real GC contender, I think that he needs to focus on his mental strenght but such qualities can come with age.

Why I think the rumoured interest from Sky could be a great move for him, he could live on Steve Peters couch.

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Well 25 years of age and one unsuccesful Tour is to soon to draw final conclusions on rider I think. I even think despite his age he doesn't have to prove anything to anyone, so succesful he is. Today is his first redemption chance, this race suits him well.

Re:

Kokoso said:
Well 25 years of age and one unsuccesful Tour is to soon to draw final conclusions on rider I think. I even think despite his age he doesn't have to prove anything to anyone, so succesful he is. Today is his first redemption chance, this race suits him well.

2 unsuccesful Tours. He shouldn't ride the TdF though, way too much stress for him.

And he was going for stages and then he rides for GC anyways.. one crash and he start crying again.
If he wants to ride for GC he needs to man up. I'm not saying it's easy, it's his personality, but if he can't handle it he should go for stages or ride the Vuelta/Giro.

Bardamu said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:

Gesink had a podium in the Vuelta 09 for sure until the fall (even unluckier than Kruijswijk, because it was Mosquera who went down right in front of him and Gesink couldnt go anywhere but over him)

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
The beginning of the comeback? I'll await week 3.. but looking good.
He finally looks like the rider that had a great season in 2014, back then he was fearless and always attacking, I really liked him back then.

And when Kelderman returned to Froome Zakarin dropped for a while (but returned on the flat section).
However it's way too early.

I think Lopez will join the fight for podium and he is by far stronger than both Wilco & Zaka. Only thing is Kelderman has the 40km ITT to make some gains.

Re:

Ikbengodniet said:
Kelderman will crush Lopez in the ITT. But I think something will happen to him again that takes him out of competition (sickness or crash or some other bad luck).
Plus little team help. Barguil wasn't going to help in the first place. Oomen is sick and gone. Haga is sick. Kragh Andersen is sick. Rest can't really hang on long.

@Safebet: in a normal TT Kelderman is I think above Nibali, but worse than Froome. However, in a 3rd week GT I don't know. Maybe about the same as Nibali? It's untested terrain because in many GT TT's Kelderman ridden so far he was either not in any sort of similar shape, or it was a mountain ITT.

In flat long TT, he has beaten Dumoulin and Van Emden at the Dutch nationals when he was 24. So I think his general level should be better than Nibs. But yeah, like I said, recovery...

Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
And when Kelderman returned to Froome Zakarin dropped for a while (but returned on the flat section).
However it's way too early.

I think Lopez will join the fight for podium and he is by far stronger than both Wilco & Zaka. Only thing is Kelderman has the 40km ITT to make some gains.

You forgot Alberto Contador.

I dont care about reaching podium. I just hope he stays on his bike and doesnt get sick like a lot of his teammates.

This guys selfesteem is one of the lowest in the bunch by far. His interviews I always cringe because you can see his selfesteem somewhere at the bottom of a lake. This guy needs success, this guy needs some luck.
Hes a way too nice guy, not very interesting, but a good guy. I just wish him some luck, because I awful feel bad for him :)

Re:

Kwibus said:
I dont care about reaching podium. I just hope he stays on his bike and doesnt get sick like a lot of his teammates.

This guys selfesteem is one of the lowest in the bunch by far. His interviews I always cringe because you can see his selfesteem somewhere at the bottom of a lake. This guy needs success, this guy needs some luck.
Hes a way too nice guy, not very interesting, but a good guy. I just wish him some luck, because I awful feel bad for him :)
It's so weird though. His physical capabilities are just fine, if he ever believed in them.

Dumoulin at Rabo CT (when Dumo/Kelderman were 20yo's) had a talk with the team leaders and then said he felt he would never be as good as Kelderman. This Giro again he said Kelderman was very close, if not directly on, to Dumoulins own level.

For some reason though, Kelderman always has no confidence. Especially when the spot light is on him. He'll do fine in the shadows, but then suck when something is expected of him. Last year it was unnoticed almost, but he was super strong in both Pais Vasco and Suisse, until everyone started noticing he was doing well, he would almost surely suck the next day.
Hope he's fine now.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
It sounds strange, back in 2014 he seemed to be fearless and was always attacking, (not playing the waiting game with Uran and the rest on the Val Martello stage, the whole Dauphine when he was awesome and always attacking), so him having no confidence sounds a bit odd.
Anyway, I like the guy and it's good to see him back on track.

TRENDING THREADS