• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The official Wilco Kelderman is the new Merckx-thread

Page 41 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Why did Kelderman pick Jumbo? I don't understand it. On such a long contract.

I understand why they want him, but I cannot for the life of me understand why he wants to go to them least he really himself have given up on GT leadership.

Someone explain? Has he given up on GC GT? Does he feel like riding for others instead? I guess he would be an absolutely brilliant mountain domestique if that's what he feels like.

He seems to be in very good shape, basically on par with others at Tirreno at the moment. And he seems to get along well with Roglic, he sounded genuinely happy for his wins, even though he's the designated leader. And I think they're both going to the Giro.

Fq3zSH5XoAEBPY_

View: https://twitter.com/TirrenAdriatico/status/1634186169297649668

• Love
Reactions: noob
He seems to be in very good shape, basically on par with others at Tirreno at the moment. And he seems to get along well with Roglic, he sounded genuinely happy for his wins, even though he's the designated leader. And I think they're both going to the Giro.

He such a nice guy and that is also the reason why he hasn't won for 8 years straight as he rather sees other win than himself.

Reactions: noob and Lequack
Yes, they are. The plan was/is for Kelderman to lead the team in Tirreno and Catalunya and to support Roglic in the Giro.

Read an interview of him in the beginning of the year that the goal was to Roglic win pink but to also be in kind of shape that could make him be a podium/top-5 contender while doing it.
Funny how Kelderman is content in this support role, when Tobias Foss isn't, even though Kelderman is of course a much better GC rider than Foss. It's a matter of personality, but also a matter of knowing yourself.

Wilco is also older and had a lot more chances to ride for himseldmf in gts over the years.
Kelderman is the most docile cyclist in interviews I know tbh. There's this interview when the speed skating team joined some journo was trolling him hard about and he just went akward and quiet.

I think Kelderman kinda knows he's maxed out as a GT riders and wouldn't mind a stagehunting role and score a win or two if given the chance, but he seems really selfless, and I think his chances of a good win are better as part of a team tactic than as a lone wolf anyway.

Reactions: noob
He did not crash out or take somebody else out. He even led the peloton downhill without crashing. Great support in the mountains
Yeah, he was pretty strong. I always worry with these former gc leaders if they do their own gc in the background and saves matches to finish top 10 or in case are allowed to stage hunt later. But he did well, I think he was in a weird spot because he and Kuss were their only real climbing doms so Keldermann sometimes hit the front too soon and they had to be there every day.

I expected more from him, and I think he can reach a level higher than that of Majka.

He was not originally meant to ride the Tour, and with his injury in Tirreno, his prep was not optimal. Another aspect is that Jumbo lacked depth in the mountains compared with how much work they did, so he and Kuss didn’t get to rest much and they couldn’t rotate with other doms to give them a rest day. Both Sky and Astana were better at resting some helpers for later.

I expected more from him, and I think he can reach a level higher than that of Majka.

He was not originally meant to ride the Tour, and with his injury in Tirreno, his prep was not optimal. Another aspect is that Jumbo lacked depth in the mountains compared with how much work they did, so he and Kuss didn’t get to rest much and they couldn’t rotate with other doms to give them a rest day. Both Sky and Astana were better at resting some helpers for later.
I honestly feel like Majka didn't do that much all Tour. He didn't have to do that much that often, and kinda hung on for longer often because Jumbo were working before UAE. When UAE really wanted to do damage they had to rely on Yates to do it.

But i agree with the premise Jumbo lacked climbing depth in the middle segment. Laporte and Van Hooijdonck did very good in the Luke Rowe style of managing early climbs with your rouleurs, and they were there in pretty reduced groups a few times. Van Aert was hit and miss, and they never really used the dropped breakaway riders all that effectively.

I think Jumbo have pretty simple improvements to make in bringing Roglic and bringing a fresh Kuss next year.

TRENDING THREADS