• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The official Wilco Kelderman is the new Merckx-thread

Page 39 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
You don't have to agree. And while i'm sure he's had to fight back from injuries many times, i still didn't see a guy that would rather eat his bike than getting dropped. It's also not just about facial expressions, but squeezing the last bit of strength out of your body, about suffering. Obviously, this is down to interpretation, but to me he didn't look like that at all.
You understand you are basically saying you don't like the way he looks, and consequently you are not really a fan.

It's all fine at the end of the day because that's actually a huge part of sports and being a fan of one rider and not of another.

Reactions: Sandisfan
One thing everyone seems to forget about Kelderman at this Giro is he is the leader of a team with all the expectation on his shoulders while TGH, Hindley and Almeida are riding free of this kind of pressure

No way do I think that all round they are better riders or GT competitors than Kelderman. They have found themselves in positions of strength and have the legs but as we all know once you have expectation on your shoulders things change

One minute you are destined to win multiple grand tours and the next you are off to a proconti team

Unfortunately for Kelderman for whatever reason his legs on the mountains departed him. He rides with lack of conviction at times and that is understandable as he has bad luck and this Giro wont help that

But he fought back admirably on the Stelvio and yesterday. He is mentally strong
And he is talented.

I also wasn't impressed by Kelderman's fighting spirit yesterday. I saw him do the absolute minimum number of pulls in that chasing group. Uphill, it was mostly Almeida who I saw pulling, and thereafter, almost all of the work was done by Trek and QS, and some Bahrein later on. Obviously he was not very good, but at least you have to show you're willing to go down fighting, and I just didn't see that, sorry. Without Dennis, maybe he would've been in pink this evening, but without all the other teams helping him, he would've lost more time yesterday as well.

Reactions: LaFlorecita
I also wasn't impressed by Kelderman's fighting spirit yesterday. I saw him do the absolute minimum number of pulls in that chasing group. Uphill, it was mostly Almeida who I saw pulling, and thereafter, almost all of the work was done by Trek and QS, and some Bahrein later on. Obviously he was not very good, but at least you have to show you're willing to go down fighting, and I just didn't see that, sorry. Without Dennis, maybe he would've been in pink this evening, but without all the other teams helping him, he would've lost more time yesterday as well.
He was just cooked. I think if he'd pulled he would have perhaps risked his podium spot, although there could be merit in pressuring Dennis to pull harder.

I recall the good old times when he was referred to as KelderMerckx. Good stuff those years. And yes, the condor Bobby Gesink was considered a huge talent at that time, sadly marred by misfortunes, poor bike handling, and probably poor personality. I guess we've seen a lot of potential GT winner stuff during the years that didn't live to expectations...Gesink, Kelderman, Kreuziger, Mollema, Kruijswijk, the Schlecks, Pinot...just to mention a few.
This guy totally wasted the biggest chance of his life today.
Damn man i feel old, yes yes and yes Kreuziger what a rider he was he was looked at as a future star i remember the days when he and Nibali were lil babys tring to overtake basso as the head of state at Liquigas(still my fav team and team name remember the great Syzmd lol)

I think it was clear enough what i was saying. And it had nothing to do with his hairdo or being a fan.
It is, more or less, the same thing though. He did not 'look' like he was trying hard enough or giving it absolutely everything.

Having raced with a fair variety of folks (like many folks), I can say that I've seen people look like they are digging deep all the time, even when they really are not. And I've seen others just suffering but you would not think so looking at them.

I'm not really a fan or hater of Wilco. But he certainly seems to have turned himself relatively inside out to stay in as much touch as he did. He definitely hasn't just phoned it in, but he does not appear, at least right now, to be good at finishing - he's good to near the penultimate mark and that's where he cracks. Could that be his training or more his physiology? Who knows. But if we're talking about mentally weak, we'd be seeing something pretty different.

He was just cooked. I think if he'd pulled he would have perhaps risked his podium spot, although there could be merit in pressuring Dennis to pull harder.
That’s how I saw it. I thought he had a pretty impressive Giro, all things considered. Not sure you could point to anything major he could have done differently.

Dennis just flat out dropped him on the Stelvio and with the size of that climb Wilco played it smart and didn’t force himself into really bonking. Yesterday we just saw that he wasn’t quite good enough, I’m sure the Stelvio took a lot out of him.

In interviews yesterday, he didn't seem to mind that he lost his grip on pink. He said he was mainly happy and proud of his third place after all the hardship he's been through, and that two guys were stronger than him. He also said that he was going to drink a lot of beer.

Good that he's happy. Without Dennis ex Machina, he could have won it all. But that's all part of a GT. He might have been too sharp going into the Giro. Was really outstanding the first week, but not good enough in the third week (while still on a par with everyone bar the three in front). Pity but happens to the best, ask Primoz.

He didnt try to follow Bilbao and Fugl because he was already totally spent from chasing the downhill and the flat part alone.
Bilbao and Fuglsang had eachother.

When Fugl saw they were catching he put in a tiny acceleration. Because he knew Kelderman would probably be spent from chasing alone. That was smart from Fuglsang. It had nothing to do with heart.

I'm kinda annoyed you, and many others unfortunately, often blame Kelderman for not fighting back or for having no fighting spirit. Which is simply because of the way his facial expressions are (i think). But that is not giving Kelderman any credit whatsoever. Apart from the countless amount of times he had to come back from a heavy injury, he never really gives up and never completely cracks. I think he honestly did what he could. And when people like you kinda rip into him like that I find it kinda easy criticism... and not warranted. I simply don't agree he doesn't have the fight Almeida does.

May I remind you Almeida did far worse on Stelvio while still having support around him... Should I say that's a lack of fighting spirit as well?
No, because i'm not blind to see Almeida fought hard.
Neither should you that Kelderman did.

Which is fair. You're describing a very good rider but not a champion material. Not top of the class level. I feel really disappointed the way he rode this Giro because there was absolutely zero panache in what Kelderman did. But it's probably just that this is his limit, his ceiling and will just never get better than this.
It could've been a one trick pony, I guess we'll see him in the top 10 of other GTs. Nothing more.

Wilco, the German, according to Cyclingnews :D

NQMN2X7.png

TRENDING THREADS