• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Official Wouter Lambertus Martinus Henricus Poels thread.

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Kokoso said:
Pantani_lives said:
In last year's Tour Poels was Froome's strongest helper in the final mountain stages. It's a shame if such a strong rider always has to sacrifice himself. In LBL I already noticed 30K before the finish that he looked really good, climbing with the best in a relaxed style. I wonder if he's going to another team next year, or get a bigger role in Team Sky. Thanks to him Team Sky has finally managed to win a monument.
Strongest helper in the mountains was Thomas head and shoulders. I don't remember Poels doing something very memorable. Then there were Porte and König, both with Giro in their legs. So...yeah. Nobody doubts his climbing talent, but last year Tour doesn't look like best example.
I think he got quite some opportunities with Sky already, thus no need to wait for that. Fleche-Wallone is pretty big race. Problem with him is, that one day he's there with best, other day fails and sometimes pretty badly. Not exactly your dream leader for Grand Tour. But if he gets it together...

The last 2 stages when Thomas faded and cracked Poels was extremely strong and stepped up. He did a monster pull for Froome on Alpe d'Huez.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re:

SeriousSam said:
Sir David himself has already publicly stated his belief that young Wouter may one day challenge for the Grand Tours himself.
Yeah, the guy who makes LRP look like mister consistent is going to challenge for GTs...

Kokoso said:
Pantani_lives said:
In last year's Tour Poels was Froome's strongest helper in the final mountain stages. It's a shame if such a strong rider always has to sacrifice himself. In LBL I already noticed 30K before the finish that he looked really good, climbing with the best in a relaxed style. I wonder if he's going to another team next year, or get a bigger role in Team Sky. Thanks to him Team Sky has finally managed to win a monument.
Strongest helper in the mountains was Thomas head and shoulders. I don't remember Poels doing something very memorable. Then there were Porte and König, both with Giro in their legs. So...yeah. Nobody doubts his climbing talent, but last year Tour doesn't look like best example.
I think he got quite some opportunities with Sky already, thus no need to wait for that. Fleche-Wallone is pretty big race. Problem with him is, that one day he's there with best, other day fails and sometimes pretty badly. Not exactly your dream leader for Grand Tour. But if he gets it together...

Lal. I had a good laugh. I urge you to rewatch some stages of last year then.

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Kokoso said:
Pantani_lives said:

Because of what, mind I ask?

Edit: nevermind, I rewatched and had good laugh about your post subsequently :)

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site

Pricey_sky said:
Kokoso said:
Pantani_lives said:

The last 2 stages when Thomas faded and cracked Poels was extremely strong and stepped up. He did a monster pull for Froome on Alpe d'Huez.
That very strong guy on 19th stage was Majka, not Poels who just followed him. Extremely? I'd save that for performance like Froome did for Wiggo. On Alpe d'Huez Poels and Porte really stepped up with Porte probably being as good as Poels on that day. Very good domestique work. Anyway am I wrong that Thomas was overall stronger than Poels? And was Poels Tour performance really something very memorable?

Poels was very good on 2 stages in the final week and really helped Froome...Porte was very good on 2 stages as well, one in the 2nd week and one in 3rd week (but was sick )

However Thomas was good on several stages for Froome...especially first 12 stages ...Thomas was consistent and only cracked on second last stage

Poels is a very good rider but he hasn't shown consistency over 3 weeks...(much like Porte hasn't)

Poles would do well to concentrate on stage races and one day races as some people can forget what the do very well and end up chasing their tail

(Konig was rubbish help at the Tour in 2015..only saw him do anything on the TTT)

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Kokoso said:
Pantani_lives said:

I urge you to not watch anything of that tour again.

TMP402 said:
HelloDolly said:
(Konig was rubbish help at the Tour in 2015..only saw him do anything on the TTT)

Unless Koenig shows something better this season, I hope Sky let him go. He looks like a Mollema/Zubeldia type and not a worker for the team.

In fairness I think it was hard for him...he had not ridden World Tour or as a top domestique before
I think he will be out of SKY as they make room for even more top signings...they are ruthless with contracts
But that could be good for him...to go back to a role with freedom and autonomy
Could join Mollema & Zubeldia at Trek :D

HelloDolly said:
TMP402 said:
HelloDolly said:

Unless Koenig shows something better this season, I hope Sky let him go. He looks like a Mollema/Zubeldia type and not a worker for the team.

In fairness I think it was hard for him...he had not ridden World Tour or as a top domestique before
I think he will be out of SKY as they make room for even more top signings...they are ruthless with contracts
But that could be good for him...to go back to a role with freedom and autonomy
Could join Mollema & Zubeldia at Trek :D

I wonder if he would go to Etixx because of the Czech connection.

MatParker117 said:
TMP402 said:
HelloDolly said:

Rescued the Giro from a GC perspective.

Yeah but a la Zubeldia, which isn't quite the Sky way.

The thing is SKY want winners....So if Koenig won stage races or day races or even a stage of the Giro it would have been better I think from a SKY perspective
He has won a stage in a GT and in California before SKY so maybe
SKY system probably doesn;t suit him

There are alot of very good riders out there who get lost along the way
Thought he could have gone to Dim Data but Brian Smith is leaving in a few days

Pricey_sky said:
Kokoso said:
Pantani_lives said:

It was Porte and Poels who were the strongest support for Froome.

TMP402 said:
MatParker117 said:
TMP402 said:
HelloDolly said:

Rescued the Giro from a GC perspective.

Yeah but a la Zubeldia, which isn't quite the Sky way.

He's the Czech TJVG, great engine but not that explosive which makes him a fantastic engine in a climbing train/plan b or c.

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Seems to be Froome's main number 2 after todays prologue. Closest to him. Maybe Thomas as well tho.
"I love how a uphill prologue a month before the TDF can stir up so much discussion :D
relax dudes, says nothing for the Tour"

If Landa improves as anticipated towards the Tour, Landa is in another league on multi mountain stages. Simple as. Henao is no slouch either, just getting back into business.

Valv.Piti said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Seems to be Froome's main number 2 after todays prologue. Closest to him. Maybe Thomas as well tho.
"I love how a uphill prologue a month before the TDF can stir up so much discussion :D
relax dudes, says nothing for the Tour"

If Landa improves as anticipated towards the Tour, Landa is in another league on multi mountain stages. Simple as. Henao is no slouch either, just getting back into business.

DT is the ultimate dutch hype machine and when those dutchies come from the same province as his then those riders are hyped beyond..... Beyond...beyond something we can't even grasp so incredible it is.

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Looks like he lost his climbing mojo a bit and got rouleur mojo. Or better exchanged. Nothing much at Dauphine for one who's deemed as one of the best climbers.

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site
Re:

Ricco' said:
Maybe something to do with Rio?

In the beginning of the year he really looked like he wanted to contest that.

Look where he was at last years Dauphine and look where he was at the last 2 Mountain stages of the Tour.

It's all on track.