• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Official Wouter Lambertus Martinus Henricus Poels thread.

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Wow, the guy has a history of underperforming with bad weather and now he wins LBL with horrible weather, massive respect!
I was cheering for Rui Costa, but Poels is a classy rider and he beat Albasini, I enjoyed his victory. :)

Re: Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Valv.Piti said:
Seems to me he is getting overhyped a fair bit for Mur de Huy. Sky would be better off thinking about Kwito and especially Henao for that race, but what the hell do I know!

He is an impressive rider tho. He will probably be Froome's best mountain domestique in July, I still have my doubts about Thomas
Luckily Sky didnt listen to you and they now finally have their monument win

What a rubbish comment

Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Hurts when you're wrong?

I just said Poels was overhyped for Mur de Huy and Henao would be the better option. Clearly wrong on Kwito, I have no clue what he is up too. Its not that much that I am wrong, but the fact that you choose to quote that particular post like a proper d-bag when I didn't even state something similar to 'no way Poels can win Doyenne', just that he was getting overhyped for Mur (which he did well on) as all dutch riders do as usual, getting massively hyped, that is. ;)

Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
This time the hype was justified. Kwiato peaked too early tbh. I think he was at his best the week before Flanders.

If he had that form he'd make a great candidate for win today.. but he didn't have that form

The hype was justified, yes, but do you dispute what I wrote in my original post - that Henao was the better bet for Mur? Thats pretty much just the essence in what I wrote....

Valv.Piti said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
This time the hype was justified. Kwiato peaked too early tbh. I think he was at his best the week before Flanders.

If he had that form he'd make a great candidate for win today.. but he didn't have that form

The hype was justified, yes, but do you dispute what I wrote in my original post - that Henao was the better bet for Mur? Thats pretty much just the essence in what I wrote....

Whether or not Henao was the better bet doesn't matter, as he didn't race. If he had, then yes he probably would've been leader.

Brullnux said:
Valv.Piti said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:

Whether or not Henao was the better bet doesn't matter, as he didn't race. If he had, then yes he probably would've been leader.
Considering the post was made a month or so ago, I don't think anyone would've expected Henao to be suspended literally at the day of Flèche. But then again, not that surprising after all. ;)

JRanton said:
I just watched the last 40km back and Poels was always very well positioned. Sky had good numbers there at the end with Swift in particular doing great work for him before the climbs in the final.

A bit before RaF you can see Nordhaug coming up to Poels asking how he felt. Poels replied with "super".
Kwiat said he didn't feel good anymore and that's why he attacked and played the domestique role for Poels.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
i'm happy for poels and the dutch, just don't get carried away. You guys won't win anything for the next 10 years, enjoy it now you can

Re:

Miburo said:
i'm happy for poels and the dutch, just don't get carried away. You guys won't win anything for the next 10 years, enjoy it now you can

That's a bit harsh, you aren't counting with MVdP domination when he moves to the road. [/fanboy] :D

Funny thing, Poels is the successor to Adri Van der Poel as the next dutch winner of LBL. Almost the same surname. :p

Ricco' said:
Miburo said:

That's a bit harsh, you aren't counting with MVdP domination when he moves to the road. [/fanboy] :D

Funny thing, Poels is the successor to Adri Van der Poel as the next dutch winner of LBL. Almost the same surname. :p

I have a feeling that trend will continue with the next one as well ;)

In last year's Tour Poels was Froome's strongest helper in the final mountain stages. It's a shame if such a strong rider always has to sacrifice himself. In LBL I already noticed 30K before the finish that he looked really good, climbing with the best in a relaxed style. I wonder if he's going to another team next year, or get a bigger role in Team Sky. Thanks to him Team Sky has finally managed to win a monument.

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Re:

Pantani_lives said:
In last year's Tour Poels was Froome's strongest helper in the final mountain stages. It's a shame if such a strong rider always has to sacrifice himself. In LBL I already noticed 30K before the finish that he looked really good, climbing with the best in a relaxed style. I wonder if he's going to another team next year, or get a bigger role in Team Sky. Thanks to him Team Sky has finally managed to win a monument.
Strongest helper in the mountains was Thomas head and shoulders. I don't remember Poels doing something very memorable. Then there were Porte and König, both with Giro in their legs. So...yeah. Nobody doubts his climbing talent, but last year Tour doesn't look like best example.
I think he got quite some opportunities with Sky already, thus no need to wait for that. Fleche-Wallone is pretty big race. Problem with him is, that one day he's there with best, other day fails and sometimes pretty badly. Not exactly your dream leader for Grand Tour. But if he gets it together...