• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

'The Old Contador is gone' Claim

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Pentacycle said:
If you really want to judge about the Contador vs. Froome debate, forget all about last season. It's 2013 that counts, every season has its own specific factors(illness, injury, family issues, team problems, weight, partying too much, amount of training and much more) for each rider, no season is the same as any other.
In other words, you're basing your thought on Oman only? A preparation race where half of the riders were jetlagged?

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
The Hitch said:
He also did the giro, or some.of.it anyway, and changed teams.in between. There are plenty of riders i can think of who.would not be getting such a hard time under these circumstances.

In short, you offer not to underrate Rujano just based on the fact that he could keep up with Contador, saying Rujano was better than Nibali and Scarponi (who were in turn equal to Evans no matter when). Herewith you explicitly hint that Contador could of gained waaay more over Rujano (I underline Rujano who is stronger than Scarponi, Nibali and Evans) if he had needed this. Ingenious!!! Only there is one little discrepancy. Everyone could serve lots of anologic comparisons that show Contador in in a bad light. But who really cares? :D

Just for fun: Contador was dropped by Rodriguez who was nowhere in the Giro 2008. Yeh, my example outlines not very rosy perspectives for someone.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
cineteq said:
You talk as if Froome has been doing this, consistently, for years. Say what, Contador needs to improve his tactics? :rolleyes:

OMG, are you saying Froome is as good as Rasmussen? :D

Naturally, if Contador will do a few unsuccessful moves on the climbs, Froome will derail him harshly. Explosiveness is something Froomes obviously has.

Netserk said:
On the avatar bet?

Froome vs. Contador in the last ITT in the Tour this year.

airstream said:
that's a bargain

Netserk said:
So it's a yes?

The winner will choose the loser's avatar for how long?

EDIT: Example: If you win you will choose an avatar I will have to wear from July 17th (when we know who did better of Froome and Alberto) until ... (Could be until the Vuelta starts)

Take it to the avatar betting thread ;)

http://forum.cyclingnews.com/showthread.php?t=13868

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
airstream said:
Absolutely agree. Most of Contador fans look into Contador like a separate universe where the final outcome depends on only Contador himself and nobody else.

Pretty rich of you to keep insulting Contador-fans, when there are plenty of us who happen to like other riders as well.

airstream said:
Explosiveness is something Froomes obviously has.

Clueless :rolleyes:

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Parrulo said:
just goes to show how much you know about cycling really . . . either that or guys like Sean Kelly and Perico Delgado have been wrong all of this time!!!!

Their perception is as subjective as your, mine or someone else. Whereas the only absolute indicator is the result. The result says Rodriguez came up in Contador's climbing league. Very likely, Froome did this too.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
peloton said:
Pretty rich of you to keep insulting Contador-fans, when there are plenty of us who happen to like other riders as well.

Insulting? LOL, people built in their minds not existing global Contador superiority over all the rest and get hurt when others vote for Froome in other thread (take a note most of them doesn't need just a Tour victory, they prefer a victory in the 2011 Giro fashion). Yes, I don't accept their ideology categorically. But it has got nothing to do with insulting, otherwise I should declare that everyone insults me on the forum.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
peloton said:

Lol
Part 1: you accuse Airstream of insulting Contador fans.
Part 2: you insult him. :eek:
:rolleyes:

I will reserve judgement on Alberto until after T-A. Let's see what he has then :) He may already be on the other side of his best years, but we don't know that yet. But he is 30 now and very rarely do cyclists that excel young get better at 30, they can only hope to regain their best form.

The Vuelta he Won with 6 race days in his legs since the previous July!!! Granted he had a battle on his hands and had to get creative to do it.

IMO Froome will give him just about all he can handle if Froome has the confidence, race savvy, 3 week recovery ability after being pushed at every opportunity and mental toughness. He certainly seems to have the skills and talent.

It is inevitable that there will be a changing of the guard, it Always happens in cycling. Maybe it will happen this year and Froome will be the man; maybe not. But we should enjoy an epic struggle either way :)

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
airstream said:
Insulting? LOL, people built in their minds not existing global Contador superiority over all the rest and get hurt when others vote for Froome in other thread (take a note most of them doesn't need just a Tour victory, they prefer a victory in the 2011 Giro fashion). Yes, I don't accept their ideology categorically. But it has got nothing to do with insulting, otherwise I should declare that everyone insults me on the forum.

Well you have been baiting/insulting people on pretty much every Contador thread on this part of the forum, you won't deny that, do you?
Didn't you also say he should be physically harmed in one clinic thread? How you got away with it still remains a mystery, but whatever

Back to the topic, T-A will be telling a lot more on riders forms, should be a good one

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
peloton said:
Well you have been baiting/insulting people on pretty much every Contador thread on this part of the forum, you won't deny that, do you?
Didn't you also say he should be physically harmed in one clinic thread? How you got away with it still remains a mystery, but whatever

Back to the topic, T-A will be telling a lot more on riders forms, should be a good one

I'm a poster with my own vision. Following your logic, any Contador fan deeply hurts and insults me just because of difference in opinions. However I don't accuse anyone of anything, though it would be logical to accuse someone posting that 'Contador won 5 GT's and others won 0 so others have no chance to win the Tour' 100 times of baiting/insulting.

Netserk said:
EDIT: and BTW if anyone needs to improve tactics, it's Froome. He looked like a total amateur on the Vuelta mountains tactics-wise ;)

On the contrary, Froome did great in the first week but was a total amateur in Stage 7 which was incidentally a flat stage. It all went downhill from there as the effects of the Tour - Olympics - Vuelta took its toll.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
I think Contador is no longer able to do a Verbier. Whether that's mainly because he's weaker in absolute terms or that his opponents are stronger, I don't know. Probably the former, or are we to believe that the likes of Froome and Purito now climb at a higher level than 2009 Schleck?

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
Now Contador lost in Oman, thus he will lose the tour. Ridiculous.
Thus Contador opponents have improved a lot in the last years and Contador is not the same Contador of other times in February. Which is enough to suspect he will not reach the 2009 or 2011 level on this season. But you fans seems that u dont take it in count writtting that Alberto has always been the best GT Contender. WTF. And the sky was always clear until it rained for the first time.

Jason_Mercier said:
Thus Contador opponents have improved a lot in the last years and Contador is not the same Contador of other times in February. Which is enough to suspect he will not reach the 2009 or 2011 level on this season. But you fans seems that u dont take it in count writtting that Alberto has always been the best GT Contender. WTF. And the sky was always clear until it rained for the first time.

People always talk how Froome is the ne super force and Contador can't make attacks stick anymore. In my opinion it remains to be seen wether Froome can ride long sustained attacks or not. He didn't proof that in the Tour (was allowed to) nor in the Vuelta or Oman.

TRENDING THREADS