The Olympic Individual TT 2016. Rio de Janeiro. 54,6km

Page 21 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win the Olympic gold in the men's individual time trial in Rio 2016?

  • Fabian Cancellara

    Votes: 23 14.9%
  • Jonathan Castroviejo

    Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Rohan Dennis

    Votes: 10 6.5%
  • Tom Dumoulin

    Votes: 50 32.5%
  • Chris Froome

    Votes: 33 21.4%
  • Ion Izagirre

    Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Vasil Kiryienka

    Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Tony Martin

    Votes: 12 7.8%
  • Nelson Oliveira

    Votes: 5 3.2%
  • Primoz Roglic

    Votes: 9 5.8%

  • Total voters
    154
  • Poll closed .
It's a while ago I was so excited to see someone win a bicycle race. He really deserved it after all the bad luck and the nonsense he had to deal with.

BTW: how high was he in the poll before the race? I admit I voted afterwards. :surprised:
 
Re:

Pantani_lives said:
It's a while ago I was so excited to see someone win a bicycle race. He really deserved it after all the bad luck and the nonsense he had to deal with.

BTW: how high was he in the poll before the race? I admit I voted afterwards. :surprised:
He had less votes than panzerwagon :redface:
 
This Charming Man said:
Electress said:
Kwibus said:
Dumoulin is most of all dissapointed, because he simply wanted to win. People tell him he should be proud, but he doesn't care ride now.

He's a sport though, because he says he couldn't have raced 47 seconds faster anyways. I think he's generous here, because breaking your wrist 3 weeks ago and thus not being able to train properly certainly didn't help. Doesn't matter though since a what if doesn't help anyone.

Crazy performance by Cancellara today. Really great and nice goodbye. Van Dijk and Cancellara showed that this course was certainly possible for the non climbers. Pure on power.
Dumoulin always comes over very well. I'd certainly have been cheering for him if not for Fabs and he'll have future opportunities. Hard not to be delighted for Fabs to retire on such a high. I hope he does retire though. It's not going to get better than that.
If Dumolins wrist had been an issue, he would have given his spot to another Netherlands rider, great sportsmen and women, go by that code, all for the team.
What other dutch rider would get second today?
 
Yingge said:
Well done to Fabian - surprised most except himself. A fitting end to his career.

Dumoulin did well considering he was carrying a broken wrist, but even if injury free I doubt that he would have bettered Fabian today.

Dennis died on that climb before the third time check, and possibly went out too fast as well. The mechanical merely cost him the Bronze.
Yeah, I noticed that too. He really was struggling up that climb. After that I didn't believe he would win the TT, then came the mechanical and the possibility of a medal was gone.
 
afpm90 said:
This Charming Man said:
Electress said:
Kwibus said:
Dumoulin is most of all dissapointed, because he simply wanted to win. People tell him he should be proud, but he doesn't care ride now.

He's a sport though, because he says he couldn't have raced 47 seconds faster anyways. I think he's generous here, because breaking your wrist 3 weeks ago and thus not being able to train properly certainly didn't help. Doesn't matter though since a what if doesn't help anyone.

Crazy performance by Cancellara today. Really great and nice goodbye. Van Dijk and Cancellara showed that this course was certainly possible for the non climbers. Pure on power.
Dumoulin always comes over very well. I'd certainly have been cheering for him if not for Fabs and he'll have future opportunities. Hard not to be delighted for Fabs to retire on such a high. I hope he does retire though. It's not going to get better than that.
If Dumolins wrist had been an issue, he would have given his spot to another Netherlands rider, great sportsmen and women, go by that code, all for the team.
What other dutch rider would get second today?
Mollema could have been an outsider for a medal if Dumoulin's wrist was bad enough
 
Feb 6, 2016
1,213
0
0
Re:

The Hitch said:
lol @ the 2012 newcomers in this thread not knowing what to do with themselves, the first time since they started watching cycling that their fave didn't win an event he focused on
I know there's a lot of sympathy for Dumoulin in this thread, but he was just a neo-pro in 2012 - maybe check your dates?
 
Jun 13, 2016
447
1
0
Re: Re:

Cannibal72 said:
The Hitch said:
lol @ the 2012 newcomers in this thread not knowing what to do with themselves, the first time since they started watching cycling that their fave didn't win an event he focused on
I know there's a lot of sympathy for Dumoulin in this thread, but he was just a neo-pro in 2012 - maybe check your dates?
Are you being sarcastic? It seems obvious to me that this hitchens fella is talking about those at the service of Queen Elisabeth.
 
I feel sorry for Phinney. He was a very long way off the pace ~ looks to me like it's time to draw some sobering conclusions. He might end up a good rider, with a decent career.......but that potential to be a great rider pre-accident may never be actualised.
 
afpm90 said:
Yingge said:
Well done to Fabian - surprised most except himself. A fitting end to his career.

Dumoulin did well considering he was carrying a broken wrist, but even if injury free I doubt that he would have bettered Fabian today.

Dennis died on that climb before the third time check, and possibly went out too fast as well. The mechanical merely cost him the Bronze.
Yeah, I noticed that too. He really was struggling up that climb. After that I didn't believe he would win the TT, then came the mechanical and the possibility of a medal was gone.
Didn't he break his handle bars on the climb though, that might have effected him too, bad luck for him

Froome should have pulled out of the tour before the alps and the RR within the first few K, then he might have had a better chance to win :p
 
Re: Re:

PremierAndrew said:
The Hitch said:
lol @ the 2012 newcomers in this thread not knowing what to do with themselves, the first time since they started watching cycling that their fave didn't win an event he focused on
2013 Giro + WCRR 2014 Tour + Vuelta?
They only watch the Tour and the Olympics, and crashing out of the Tour isn't the same as directly being beaten. No, Cancellara made Froome look almost human yesterday. :cool:

I like the fact that Cancellara won in bad weather, and that the bicycles were scanned for motors. I hope that will shut up his critics and end the conspiracy theories. (At least for a few days. :rolleyes: )
 
No way this course was climber friendly enough for a non specialist to come close. I'd say Froome is a semi-specialist. Contador would have been very unlikely to get top 5. Sending a guy like Mollema is useless. You have seen Alaphillipe. He got like the most screentime because they showed him every time he was passed by. That happened like 8 times.
 
Re: Re:

Pantani_lives said:
PremierAndrew said:
The Hitch said:
lol @ the 2012 newcomers in this thread not knowing what to do with themselves, the first time since they started watching cycling that their fave didn't win an event he focused on
2013 Giro + WCRR 2014 Tour + Vuelta?
They only watch the Tour and the Olympics, and crashing out of the Tour isn't the same as directly being beaten. No, Cancellara made Froome look almost human yesterday. :cool:

I like the fact that Cancellara won in bad weather, and that the bicycles were scanned for motors. I hope that will shut up his critics and end the conspiracy theories. (At least for a few days. :rolleyes: )
Greg LeMond, knows one of those dudes had a motor, for sure for sure.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

Latest posts