• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Olympic Individual TT 2016. Rio de Janeiro. 54,6km

Who will win the Olympic gold in the men's individual time trial in Rio 2016?

• Fabian Cancellara

Votes: 23 14.9%
  • Jonathan Castroviejo

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Rohan Dennis

Votes: 10 6.5%
  • Tom Dumoulin

Votes: 50 32.5%
  • Chris Froome

Votes: 33 21.4%
  • Ion Izagirre

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Vasil Kiryienka

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Tony Martin

Votes: 12 7.8%
  • Nelson Oliveira

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • Primoz Roglic

Votes: 9 5.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
10/08/2016
Praça Tim Maia Pontal › Praça Tim Maia Pontal

CpAOwdRUsAEgMFR.jpg

Climbs

2x Av. Estado Guanabara (0,5km; around 10-12%)

2x Grumari (1.3km; average grad 9.4%; max grad 24.1%)
f1w9jr.jpg

2x Grota Funda (2.1km; average grad 6.8%; max grad 10.3%)
24b2d0w.jpg

Previous winners

2012 Bradley Wiggins
2008 Fabian Cancellara
2004 Viatcheslav Ekimov
2000 Viatcheslav Ekimov
1996 Miguel Indurain
1924 Armand Blanchonnet
1920 Harry Stenqvist
1912 Rudolph Lewis

It's hard to look past Froome or Dumoulin for the gold medal. The last podium spot is very much up in the air, though. Cancellara looks to be in great shape, Izagirre has been great all season, though his shape doesn't look that good. Kriyienka? Who knows? Roglic could be an outsider, and you can never count out Tony. Will be great!

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
Re:

Netserk said:
Froome won't medal :eek: ;)

You wouldn't think so after yesterday's efforts. Tony Martin has a good chance here, but is Dumoulin recovered enough to keep his position good for long enough. I think the injury may cost him a little too much. Probably just a podium for him, shame.

Heart says Cancellara, head says Dumoulin.
Cancellara looked really great yesterday so maybe he can at least get a medal, his climbing shape seems to be good. Dumoulin ofc completely depends on how his hand healed. If he is okay he will win, I'm pretty sure about that. Otherwise Froome is probably the favorite.

Jun 22, 2015
Visit site
Don't know why martin is heavily playing his chances down. He will lose time up the steep climb but the lenght of that tt should definitely plays into his hands and he should get that time back.

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
It's not too much of a tragedy, even if Dumoulin is injured; he's 25 and will most likely have another two chances to get gold. Roglic is the great unknown in all this; I think he'll get bronze (and the climbs should advantage him, given his physique).

Re:

Cannibal72 said:
It's not too much of a tragedy, even if Dumoulin is injured; he's 25 and will most likely have another two chances to get gold. Roglic is the great unknown in all this; I think he'll get bronze (and the climbs should advantage him, given his physique).
TT'ers don't dominate for 8 years, and rarely for more than 1 Olympic cycle. And this parcours is absolutely perfect for him. He'll likely never dominate the absolute flat TT's

There are 38 riders, given the withdrawals of Nibali and Porte. The course has a 24.8km loop that is done twice, with a 2.5km run in/out.

So how are they managing this in terms of start times? Will there be 19 no-hopers first, with all of these completing their second laps before the favourites start at all, or will they allow some to be starting lap 1 as others start lap 2? I suppose a more radical solution might be to have riders starting at 30 second intervals; that way they could have constant starts, but avoid riders on different laps alongside each other.

In short, I suppose I'm asking if the start times have been released?

The UCI site still describes cobbles on each lap: that is definitely out of date, yes?

Some sources, including New Zealand Olympic Committee's own site, are reporting that George Bennett and Zac Williams are both in the Time Trial. Only countries that had a top twelve finisher(as Poland and Italy had 2 in top ten) in the 2015 WC ITT get a second rider in this event (and therefore not New Zealand): am I right?

TRENDING THREADS