• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Performance Enhancement Thread

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
CoachFergie said:
Check out the video on pedalling. Over 500 studies on the subject of how we pedal and yet not one makes a valid suggestion on how to improve this better than how we naturally pedal!

How could they when all they were doing during all this expensive research time was analysing the natural pedalling styles. I remember some years back on an ideal TT morning as I was on the homeward leg of a 50m TT turning my highest gear, being annoyed by the fact that I had to wait as my legs idled between 11-1 o'c and my arms idled on the bars before I could start to apply effective torque to the cranks. It did not take me long to rectify that situation when I started to experiment with pedalling instead of repetitive TT training on the ever increasing dangerous roads.

Sep 8, 2014
Visit site
Hamish:
In NZ do you guys, by any chance, get the American folk tales of "Uncle Remus"? They contain a lot of wisdom. I suggest you take 10min to watch this one about Tar Baby. See if you recognize any forum members.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9svyIqwbOg

Edit: Just in case it doesn't work well across cultures, this is from wiki: "In modern usage, "tar baby" refers to any "sticky situation" that is only aggravated by additional contact."

Cheers,
Jim

CoachFergie said:
Check out the video on pedalling. Over 500 studies on the subject of how we pedal and yet not one makes a valid suggestion on how to improve this better than how we naturally pedal!

Bio_McGeek said:
Hamish:
In NZ do you guys, by any chance, get the American folk tales of "Uncle Remus"? They contain a lot of wisdom. I suggest you take 10min to watch this one about Tar Baby. See if you recognize any forum members.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9svyIqwbOg

Edit: Just in case it doesn't work well across cultures, this is from wiki: "In modern usage, "tar baby" refers to any "sticky situation" that is only aggravated by additional contact."

Which is not to say that any of those studies are worthless and we did not learn from them.

From a performance enhancement perspective I have never seen the need in 22 years of coaching to focus on the way a rider pedals. Nor seen anything in the literature that has prompted me to try anything new. Unlike training, periodisation, recovery, motivational or dietary interventions.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
CoachFergie said:
From a performance enhancement perspective I have never seen the need in 22 years of coaching to focus on the way a rider pedals. Nor seen anything in the literature that has prompted me to try anything new.

" Slide Seat Rowing

The Yale/Harvard rowing race of 1870 marked a turning point in rowing boat technology. The Yale oarsmen appeared wearing greased leather pants! Upon boarding their craft they locked their feet in place and slid back and forth on smooth wooden planks, incorporating leg power into their rowing stroke and increasing the arc of the oars.

slide seat rowing 1 Slide Seat Rowing

They won handsomely. The following year the sliding (rolling) seat was introduced and still used exclusively by all racing sculling boats. "

By incorporating arm power into cycling a cyclist can double the arc of the pedalling circle where maximal torque can be applied to the cranks.

coapman said:
" Slide Seat Rowing

The Yale/Harvard rowing race of 1870 marked a turning point in rowing boat technology. The Yale oarsmen appeared wearing greased leather pants! Upon boarding their craft they locked their feet in place and slid back and forth on smooth wooden planks, incorporating leg power into their rowing stroke and increasing the arc of the oars.

slide seat rowing 1 Slide Seat Rowing

They won handsomely. The following year the sliding (rolling) seat was introduced and still used exclusively by all racing sculling boats. "

By incorporating arm power into cycling a cyclist can double the arc of the pedalling circle where maximal torque can be applied to the cranks.

Yes Jim, I get your point.