• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Powermeter Thread

Page 50 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
CoachFergie said:

Boardman talking about using power, perception and pulse.

Thought you power boys say heart rate is irrelevant if you have power?

"A household name in UK cycling and a man synonymous with a meticulously calculated approach to training, especially in the lead-up to his successful Hour record attempt, working with coach Peter Keen, Chris Boardman takes us through his thoughts on power and training.

“Power meters are superb tools, but you need to be able to use the data. Before you use any measuring device, you need to define exactly what you want to achieve.

It’s a bit like using scales in losing weight – it’s a tool to help you achieve your goal. “The most important thing to remember when measuring performance is the three Ps – Power, Perception and Pulse. Numbers don’t tell you how you feel. I never raced to data – either the hour record or at a prologue.

I removed the data from sight and once the effort was completed I would then look at the numbers. I simply used the information retrospectively to back up my own perception of effort.

“People forget about perception. British Cycling coaching style changes with every athlete it coaches. You have to be careful not to over-focus on the data. Power is a big part of [modern] coaching, but the rider needs think about perception.

It’s the intangible stuff, but it’s what controls the ride. Power data needs to be used by more than one person to allow it to be used in perspective – it needs a levelling voice such as a coach. Power needs to be used in partnership.

“Power can be dangerous to a super motivated person, using it without the levelling voice can mean athletes struggle to take time off. Ninety per cent of athletes who should have performed better in a race did too much training – recovery is where you improve. Power meters can help training, but need to be used with the three Ps!”

Read more at http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news...ng-you-need-to-know-35563#eGwXg01F04biFEkv.99

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
acoggan said:
Just wait 'til WKO4 is released. Then they'll haul you off to the asylum where you belong. :D

Tell that to my grandkids - I doubt I'll see it in my lifetime.

And I doubt it'll have anything useful that veloclinic hasn't already proven existed in the 1970s or is easily trumped by GC + his own work.

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/article/infocrank-power-meter-just-in-43034/

In discussions with BikeRadar, Verve said that some riders might be surprised by the difference in figures between the InfoCrank and other power meters, with the latter reading significantly lower in some of the company's head-to-head tests. Verve claimed this is down to the inaccurate nature of other units, which rely on complex mathematical models to estimate wattage, rather than exact readings.
Surely not?

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Dear Wiggo said:
Tell that to my grandkids - I doubt I'll see it in my lifetime.

And I doubt it'll have anything useful that veloclinic hasn't already proven existed in the 1970s or is easily trumped by GC + his own work.

You seem to have forgotten something...a number of things, actually:

2qanz2w.jpg

Riding your bike, diet, recovery, having goals, finding ways to learn to cycle better will help you improve as a cyclist.

A power meter is one way of measuring that improvement. The Garmin Vector is a good way of doing this. As are other models of power meters. There are some excellent reviews a few posts back.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
CoachFergie said:
Riding your bike, diet, recovery, having goals, finding ways to learn to cycle better will help you improve as a cyclist.

A power meter is one way of measuring that improvement. The Garmin Vector is a good way of doing this. As are other models of power meters. There are some excellent reviews a few posts back.

Cause of crash????
http://vimeo.com/115495953

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
twothirds said:
Agreed. Could've only been a speedometer, or heart rate monitor. Or just looking at his front tire because it's really fun to look at the tread go round and round.
What is the advantage of having anything on the bike during the race that would distract from the task at hand? Sort of like texting and driving isn't it? We get away with it most of the time but when we don't, disaster.

TRENDING THREADS