• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Real Football Thread

Page 127 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

BigMac said:
Prem's new logo as of next season. Dreadful corporate look.

10151377_10153628425294821_8131741797428265384_n.png

Millwall FC?

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
I didn't think West Ham would be paying that level of wages until after the stadium move. Payet has been superb.

Exciting times ahead.

I'm new to this thread, and not sure if this has been mentioned before, but according to one London bookmaker, the Foxes were 5000-1 odds to win at the beginning of the season (2500-1 at Vegas), which apparently would make them the biggest winning dogs in all history if they do win. To put those odds in perspective, the same London bookmaker is offering similar odds for these events:

Elvis lives
The Loch Ness Monster is proven to exist
Kim Kardashian is elected President (I could see her getting in as Trump's VP)
Obama plays cricket in England after his term is over (he ought to put money on that, then hop right over there)
Scott SoCal campaigns for Bernie Sanders (just kidding)

http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/14759409/why-leicester-city-become-biggest-long-shot-champion-sports-history

Re:

Merckx index said:
I'm new to this thread, and not sure if this has been mentioned before, but according to one London bookmaker, the Foxes were 5000-1 odds to win at the beginning of the season (2500-1 at Vegas), which apparently would make them the biggest winning dogs in all history if they do win. To put those odds in perspective, the same London bookmaker is offering similar odds for these events:

Elvis lives
The Loch Ness Monster is proven to exist
Kim Kardashian is elected President (I could see her getting in as Trump's VP)
Obama plays cricket in England after his term is over (he ought to put money on that, then hop right over there)
Scott SoCal campaigns for Bernie Sanders (just kidding)

http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/14759409/why-leicester-city-become-biggest-long-shot-champion-sports-history

Yes 5000/1 is correct

Coral have said they are set to lose over £4 million if Leicester win the league, yesterday William hill also listed the towns where the 25 bets they took on Leicester winning the league were placed. They are set to lose £2 million.

One punter got offered a measly 3k to 'cash-out' his £5 bet at 5000/1. He quite rightly refused.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Oh. My. God.

Cruijff is sick with lung cancer, Messi & Co. just performed a Cruijff penalty in his honor. :cool:

MSN are now responsible for 54 goals combined, despite Messi's lengthy absence.

This game has been the most wonderful, glorious ad for footy, and a fantastic way to end the weekend!

edit - added another goal

BullsFan22 said:
Pity for Leicester. One feels that this could potentially be a momentum swing. I hope it's not. I felt like them winning tonight would have given them another HUGE boost. I still feel good about them, it's only one loss, but Arsenal isn't going away.

It could be massive and it will be interesting to see how they respond. Their next 2 league games are West Brom and Norwich at home so they have a perfect chance to get the momentum back. Whilst Arsenal have to go to Man U and Spurs as well as face the test of Barcelona.

I have a feeling it could be Spurs' year.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Re:

Amsterhammer said:
Oh. My. God.

Cruijff is sick with lung cancer, Messi & Co. just performed a Cruijff penalty in his honor. :cool:

I was in Highbury for the time Henry and Pires messed it up against City. They showed them how to do it.

MSN are now responsible for 54 goals combined, despite Messi's lengthy absence.

This game has been the most wonderful, glorious ad for footy, and a fantastic way to end the weekend!

edit - added another goal

Luis Enrique deserves huge credit as well. Beating Pep's unbeaten record, dealing with a transfer ban and not to mention without Messi for a couple of months of this season.

I can't see anything else other than home and away victories against Arsenal in the Champions League.

It could be back to back trebles.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
What will Neymar think about Messi giving the pass to Suarez and not to him?
Bad idea from a team-mentality perspective.

Also lousily executed compared to Cruyff and Olsen.
Keeper was going to the right corner (Messi failed to fool him) and Suarez still had a lot to do.
Imo this wasn't a Cruyff penalty at all, and i also doubt they had Cruyff in mind when they executed it.

Arrogant, dumb, and not well executed. Fail...

edit: as for Luis Enrique deserving credit: I guess that depends on how much of the results are really down to his tactics, and how 'new' these tactics are.
Extreme fitness and a brilliant Messi still seem to be the cornerstones, just like with Pep.
Iniesta is still there, Pique. So that's the axis of Pep's team..
And up front Enrique has more quality than Pep ever had.

Remember Frank Rijkaard's legendary Barca from 2005?
Now how much of that was really down to Rijkaard? The guy has never had any results with any other team.

Pep too. At Bayern I see little signs of improvement since he took over. In fact, some would argue that they were a better side under Yupp Heynckes. Sure, Bayern have consolidated their dominance of the Bundesliga, which is a strong achievement by itself. But still in terms of style they are far away from Barca's tikitaka.

Current Barca team are as much galacticos as Real Madrid, and that likely is the main reason why Luis Enrique is not getting as much credit for his work as he probably should. Given the players he has, anything less than what they are doing now would be unfairly looked on as a failure

For me Guardiola's team during his first three seasons played more mesmerising and awe-inspiring football, than the current Barca. They looked like they were far ahead of their time, often closing out matches by halftime.

Today's Barca, though, is better suited for 2-legged knock-out football what is required in Champions League.
They are far more potent at counterattacking than Pep's side was, which is often crucial in such format. It has much to do with the artificially exaggerated importance of the away goal. The away goals rule is ,imo, a relic that FIFA and UEFA should get rid of asap.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Põhja Konn said:
Current Barca team are as much galacticos as Real Madrid, and that likely is the main reason why Luis Enrique is not getting as much credit for his work as he probably should. Given the players he has, anything less than what they are doing now would be unfairly looked on as a failure

For me Guardiola's team during his first three seasons played more mesmerising and awe-inspiring football, than the current Barca. They looked like they were far ahead of their time, often closing out matches by halftime.

Today's Barca, though, is better suited for 2-legged knock-out football what is required in Champions League.
They are far more potent at counterattacking than Pep's side was, which is often crucial in such format. It has much to do with the artificially exaggerated importance of the away goal. The away goals rule is ,imo, a relic that FIFA and UEFA should get rid of asap.

AMEN!

i've spent the last few years complaining about that rule to whomever i watch Champions League games with.

But read my post above and tell me: what kind of credit does Rijkaard deserve for 2005?
He didn't do anything of note as a coach before or afterwards.
It is doubtful he did anything in 2005 other than letting his medical department do their job and letting his talented players play their game.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Re:

sniper said:
What will Neymar think about Messi giving the pass to Suarez and not to him?
Bad idea from a team-mentality perspective.

Also lousily executed compared to Cruyff and Olsen.
Keeper was going to the right corner (Messi failed to fool him) and Suarez still had a lot to do.
Imo this wasn't a Cruyff penalty at all, and i also doubt they had Cruyff in mind when they executed it.

Arrogant, dumb, and not well executed. Fail...

edit: as for Luis Enrique deserving credit: I guess that depends on how much of the results are really down to his tactics, and how 'new' these tactics are.
Extreme fitness and a brilliant Messi still seem to be the cornerstones, just like with Pep.
Iniesta is still there, Pique. So that's the axis of Pep's team..
And up front Enrique has more quality than Pep ever had.

Remember Frank Rijkaard's legendary Barca from 2005?
Now how much of that was really down to Rijkaard? The guy has never had any results with any other team.

Pep too. At Bayern I see little signs of improvement since he took over. In fact, some would argue that they were a better side under Yupp Heynckes. Sure, Bayern have consolidated their dominance of the Bundesliga, which is a strong achievement by itself. But still in terms of style they are far away from Barca's tikitaka.

Fair points.

I have said similar to a few football journalists on twitter.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
sniper said:
Põhja Konn said:

AMEN!

i've spent the last few years complaining about that rule to whomever i watch Champions League games with.

But read my post above and tell me: what kind of credit does Rijkaard deserve for 2005?
It is doubtful he did anything in 2005 other than letting his medical department do their job and letting his talented players play their game.

The away goal is to restrict negative football away from home. I'm in favour of it staying but only in the same manner as the Football League does it in the two-legged semi-finals of the League Cup where away goals only comes into it at the end of extra-time.

sniper said:
Põhja Konn said:

AMEN!

Rijkard put together a well-working coaching team, which could mask his personal shortcomings as a coach. Henk Ten Cate was said to be the brains behind that team, and if I remember correctly, the start of their demise coincided with his departure. Having got players like Ronaldinho and Eto'o at exactly the right point of their careers (near physical peak, but still young and hungry for success) obviously didn't hurt. Basically he was much better as manager than as a coach and tactician.

Creating an environment where brilliant players could express all their abilities was indeed his biggest achievement. As long as it was balanced by better tacticians and stronger disciplinarians among his coaching staff it worked wonders. But when that balance was lost and also players' hunger for success waned, Rijkard's limitations were exposed and team collapsed like a house of cards.

gooner said:
sniper said:
Põhja Konn said:

AMEN!

The away goal is to restrict negative football away from home. I'm in favour of it staying but only in the same manner as the Football League does it in the two-legged semi-finals of the League Cup where away goals only comes into it at the end of extra-time.

It was introduced at a time when teams often had little or no information about their opponents and conditions awaiting them in the away games and as a consequence home-field advantage was far bigger thing that it is now. Also nowadays it forces home team in the first leg to play cautiously and defensively as the tactical and strategical advantage the away team gets even after a score draw is almost too big a risk to take. So its not only outdated but can also have undue influence on the outcome of two-legged ties.

Version they use in League Cup basically rewards away team in second leg when it goes to extra time which is not a bad thing but neither is it necessary and scrapping the rule altogether wouldn't really hurt anyone.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
not a bad proposal gooner, but i gotta agree with pohja konn wrt banning the away-goal rule altogether.

it just feels wrong.
We all know this scenario:
say, a team lost 1-2 in the away match. Then in the return game, should they fall behind 0-2, they suddenly have to score four goals.
Even if they master an unexpected comeback to 3-2, it will have been in vain.

And there have been many similar scenarios where the away-goal rule just went against my sense of fairness.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Beckenbauer warned and fined for not cooperating with an ethics committee investigation into the 2018 and 2022 bids.

Rooney out at least six weeks with a knee injury.

FA backs Infantino.(no surprise).

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
BullsFan22 said:
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-35593324

Idiot. He's entitled to express his opinion if he wishes to but there's a time and place to it. That could have caused a near riot.

Plus the fact that political messages are banned by UEFA and he will be likely banned himself as a result.

As for the game itself, a complete bore.