• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Real Football Thread

Page 66 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
l.Harm said:
He's suffering from an injury, he would definitely be here if he wasn't injured. But now Depay is selected who is imo a huge talent (from PSV).

Vilhena always plays in a central role, as a number 10 or left midfielder (in 4-3-3). He's already won two Euros Under 17 and he was called as the best player of the tournament.

Well, Holland was playing with eleven other players against the best side this tournament. Actually you can't make a fair judgement of a single player this match. Vilhena had some good moments, but also a lot of bad ones. But every player had a tough time playing those Spaniards.

Btw Boëtius already made it to the preselection of the First Team. And Vilhena already to the selection. And don't forget most players this tournament are 21+. Vilhena is just 18, Boëtius only 19.

Like I said his time will come and I agree it would have been better bedding him in with more established players around him. I thought it was surprising Holland didn't go down that route and try to avoid the Italians in the semis.

And as we are speaking about young Feyenoord players it must be irritating as a fan to see them losing young players to big clubs after developing them through the ranks. Examples being Kyle Ebecillio and Nathan Ake. I actually think it's wrong how the big clubs(most notably in England) go scouring around Europe like vultures plucking young player after young player and flooding and stockpiling their academy youth set up in the process. All this happens without the clubs who reared the players getting little in the way of a transfer fee. And we just see Ebecillio leaving Arsenal to join Twente. Feyennord lost out on good player through all this and I think UEFA and FIFA have to do something about protecting clubs that have successful academies. Platini has spoken about this in the past and the possibility of a banning transfers between clubs that are in different countries under the age of 18. I would be very much in favour of this. It also protects the club in getting a transfer fee if the player was to leave at a later stage after this period. Other examples are Oguzhan Ozakup who Arsenal poached from AZ at 15. AZ were livid as he was a bright prospect and captained Holland in all the youth sides(same team as Castaignos). In the end he left last year to join Besiktas and declared for Turkey where he recently just got a call up to the senior squad with AZ losing out on a valuable player. Then you see guys at Chelsea like Patrick Van Aanholt and Jeffrey Bruma who got signed from PSV and Feyenoord respectively. What opportunities have these players got? I could go on and mention United with Davide Petrucci from Roma who many said was the best they produced since Totti and has been nowhere near the first team. Macheda from Lazio who United sweet talked his father in convincing to go there when they offered him a gardening job in Manchester. What has happened him?

I like to see this get addressed in the near future.

The coach is really... well, bad. He's been assistent of Advocaat in Russia at Zenit and that's how he became a rich man. But he hasn't any record of training clubs himself :eek: So he took the decision to play with eleven other players. And still, if Holland would've played with the best 11, I think Spain still would have won. Midfield normally consists of Strootman, Maher and Van Ginkel. Van Ginkel is a kind of box-to-box player, but he's the one who plays as defensive midfielder, he doesn't know how to cope with that.

About all those talents; yeah it's frustrating. But actually all those clubs do this. Feyenoord also pick talents from other clubs in Holland. Ajax actually is doing this the most. Let's look at their 'self-educated' players and at what age they came to Ajax.

Eriksen (16), Alderweireld (15), Vertonghen (16), Vermaelen (17), Fischer (17, 1.3 million), Andersen (17), Meleg (19), Siem de Jong (16).

You can't stop youth players leaving your club. It's up to the club to give those players a reason to stay. Bruma for instance would have played for two season at Feyenoord already, where is he now? On the other hand Rekik has developed well at Manchester City, Ake gets his chances at Chelsea. It's not necessarily bad for their career.

Feyenoord had a great youth squad including Vilhena, Achahbar, Kongolo, Boëtius (still at Feyenoord), Rekik (City) and Kyle Ebicilio (Arsenal). Those guys played in one team and two decided to leave. If there are enough players who decide to stay, it still benefits a lot to invest in the youth. Vilhena for example has had offers from big clubs in England and also Juventus, but he decided to stay. Same for Achahbar.

Italy isn't playing very good. Veratti is marked almost all the time. But still Borini had a dangerous moment.

Holland also can play better, I think we deserved a penalty with the foul on Maher. He was unlucky to hit the post with the free kick. Van Rhijn marks Insigne very well.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
It wasn't nice to see Florenzi going into the Dutch player taunting him at missing the chance near the end.

I thought the Italian manager should have changed it a lot earlier and stick an extra man in midfield in to help Veratti who was getting marked tightly by the Dutch midfield. This is something he is going to have to get used to and accustomed to and he has to adapt to deal with it. It's what the great players like Pirlo do, even when as marked tightly as this they still are able to manage and maneuver the ball and exert their influence on the game. All part of the learning process and I'm sure he will able to deal with it better in time. Nevertheless they still won with a nice turn and finish by Borini. He had a difficult season with Liverpool. Be interesting to see what he can do next season if stays fully fit. He was hugely impressive for Swansea when they got promoted to the Premier League.

I wonder what Italian the manager will do in the final. Will he address this? He has to do something as going into that game with a 2 man central midfield against Spain will play right into their hands. Thiago, Koke, Isco and Illaramendi will have a field day if they go in with a similar formation. Taking their game earlier on, they were a joy to watch once again, particularly in the first half. Illaramendi has been excellent and his long range passing is superb. I can see R.Sociedad having a problem in keeping him for the long-term if these performances are kept up more on a consistent level. Lovely goal by Isco and surely Morata will start after coming on and scoring again. Even though Rodrigo scored also I still thought it was harsh to leave Morata out and his overall contribution has been disappointing so far.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
l.Harm said:
Disgusting and embarrassing how the Italians behave really.

Yes, it was. Sadly typical of the traditional Italian approach - niggle, annoy, provoke, over-dramatize, ask for cards...bah. I hope (and am fairly confident) that Spain murder them in the final.

Holland never once used their physical and tactical dominance to impose themselves, to dominate, or even to threaten a goal. Holland lost this game, though neither team actually 'earned' a win.

Isco's goal earlier was another moment to have people drooling about this lad. He really looks an Iniesta 2.0.:cool:

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
l.Harm said:
So, any football fans here? My favourite club is Feyenoord (Holland). They peform bad last years (financial problems). Also I follow the English and Spanish competition and several other European ones (Italy, Germany; Belgium, France a bit).

Transfer deadline is tonight and it's always very confusing. I mean look at this page
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/9575900.stm
and that are only rumours about the Premier League, and a selection of it.

My club (Feyenoord) sold Fer today for +5 million euro's. He had only 1 year contract so it's a pretty good deal. It's gonna be a hard season for us now, but we need the money :(
yes I am a big fan of football and I love to watch real madrid football. They played really good in the last year. actually my dream is that If I could watch a real madrid match live.IF i could do that i will be very pleasure.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Two top class free-kicks by Pirlo and Suarez today. Pirlo was superb again, pulling all the strings once again in the middle of the park. Looks effortless while doing it too.

And Spain might have finally solved their centre forward conundrum with Soldado. I was never a fan of their false striker policy even though it was successful last summer.

Sad day looming for Heart of Midlothian FC tomorrow:( Administration expected within the next 24 hours. A great club with a proud history (also my club as a very very proud Edinburgher of the maroon persuasion). 1874 - ? Sad smiley.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
1001493_10201508347338518_163839202_n.jpg

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Amsterhammer said:
What does Shearer provide?

:p

Sweet FA.

I should have known. Duh.:eek:

The whole punditry on the BBC needs a freshening up. Reports a few weeks back say it will be Hansen's last year on Match of the Day so we will probably see more of Shearer in the future.

We are lucky over here. The pundits we have in Eamon Dunphy, Liam Brady and John Giles speak their mind.

Arguing over Trappatoni.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QFFv8BAObk

Arguing over Wenger when Arsenal lost to Liverpool on the Champions League in 2008.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPgxJXRly5g

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Can someone please tell me how on earth did Tahiti win the Oceania Cup at the expense of New Zealand? You would think NZ would have no problems in winning it considering they were in the last World Cup and got knocked out in the group stage even though they were undefeated.

It lost in the semi's against the great nation of New Caledonia. Tahiti beated New Caledonia in the final. Still we won't see Tahiti in the Worlds next year. New Zealand qualified for the play-off against the number 4 of North and Middle-America, which will probably be Panama or Honduras.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
gooner said:
We are lucky over here. The pundits we have in Eamon Dunphy, Liam Brady and John Giles speak their mind.

I was aware of that, having seen numerous clips of Dunphy and Chippy down the years. Yes, so much better4 in every respect than the Beeb stiff shirts.

Meanwhile, in other important news - Carroll is finally ours after passing his medical this evening.:cool:

notBigSam ‏@TheBig_Sam 46s
Feel for Spain, here. Beating Tahiti will be such a hollow victory. Like that time I slapped a figure-four leg lock on Stephen Hawking.

Does anyone know a funny story about big fcuking Sam?. I like the one where a journalist ask him about how he feels before his play-off final when answers " i am ****ting myself here"