• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Real Football Thread

Page 68 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
darwin553 said:
+ 1 - it makes it easier for me to barrack for Chelsea in the big games now. BTW - a Southampton supporter here :)

Where are the Saints getting the cash for their recent purchases from?

Zam_Olyas said:
Amsterhammer, how you doing? :D

I presume that your question was with regard to Barca, in view of the pic? I'm more than perplexed about, and far from happy with, the sales of Thiago and Abidal, the going on loan of Deolofeu, and the rumors that Cesc is heading back to the Prem. I don't know what Tito is up to, but there are reports that he and Pep had a falling out.

As for the Hammers, well we've got Andy Carroll, don't you know!:p

Amsterhammer said:

I presume that your question was with regard to Barca, in view of the pic? I'm more than perplexed about, and far from happy with, the sales of Thiago and Abidal, the going on loan of Deolofeu, and the rumors that Cesc is heading back to the Prem. I don't know what Tito is up to, but there are reports that he and Pep had a falling out.

As for the Hammers, well we've got Andy Carroll, don't you know!:p

You know me well. :D Do you think Messi and Neymar will be a good combination? It will be fascinating to see how they play with each other.
Thank you for buying Andy C. :p

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Amsterhammer said:

Who knows? But it better be from legitimate and reliable sources :rolleyes:

Anyway, does the 40 odd million pounds that they got from the TV rights deal help matters? ;)

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
The Suarez situation isn't half getting messy. Personally, I can't wait for the whole transfer window to close. I have never known a more tedious summer as this one with long drawn out transfer sagas like Suarez, Bale and Rooney.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Never mind all that, watch the clip I posted!:D

I know a bunch of Real fans, and not one of them wants Bale to come for the kind of insane money that's been mentioned.

As for Suarez, I wouldn't blame him if he wanted to get the hell out of Britain....I guess the only reason he'd go to Ar senal is to play CL?

Oct 21, 2012
twitter.com
lololololol. http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/...united-coach-sacked-anzhi-just-081833702.html

Anzhi's billionaire has pulled the plug. They're getting rid of everybody. Some tasty players about to go for bargain basement prices. Eto'o, Lassana Diarra, Willian, Samba. Wenger should try to bag the lot, Moyes should get in for Lass. And maybe Mourinho should try and get Eto'o, he's still class enough to get 15-20 league goals per season.

Edit: And Lacina Traore, the 203cm tall Ivorian wrecking ball striker.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Amsterhammer said:
Never mind all that, watch the clip I posted!:D

Lol.

I seen it a couple of days ago.

Alphabet said:
lololololol. http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/...united-coach-sacked-anzhi-just-081833702.html

Anzhi's billionaire has pulled the plug. They're getting rid of everybody. Some tasty players about to go for bargain basement prices. Eto'o, Lassana Diarra, Willian, Samba. Wenger should try to bag the lot, Moyes should get in for Lass. And maybe Mourinho should try and get Eto'o, he's still class enough to get 15-20 league goals per season.

I wouldn't touch Samba with a barge pole. He was terrible for QPR last season. Wages will play a big part in all this. No way will Lass play for Arsenal after leaving in 2008 and criticising Wenger on numerous occasions for not playing him regularly. Traore was recommended to Wenger when he was at Cluj by Jean Marc-Guillou, the same guy who ran the academy in Ivory Coast which produced Kolo and Yaya Toure, Eboue, Gervinho, Romaric and Zokora. Still, Arsenal just signed Sanogo who is a very similar striker so I couldn't see Traore signing now.

Oct 21, 2012
twitter.com
gooner said:
I wouldn't touch Samba with a barge pole. He was terrible for QPR last season. Wages will play a big part in all this. No way will Lass play for Arsenal after leaving in 2008 and criticising Wenger on numerous occasions for not playing him regularly. Traore was recommended to Wenger when he was at Cluj by Jean Marc-Guillou, the same guy who ran the academy in Ivory Coast which produced Kolo and Yaya Toure, Eboue, Gervinho, Romaric and Zokora. Still, Arsenal just signed Sanogo who is a very similar striker so I couldn't see Traore signing now.

Yeah, fair enough, Samba probably isn't good enough for a club of Arsenal's status. But he was superb at Blackburn, I think he still has it in him to be the most important player at a lower team or a decent player at a Europa League level team. Even at Arsenal he could do a job as a squad player on a reasonable contract, but all those petrodollars must have gone to his head.

Traore should be the next big thing in African football, not Bony or Doumbia or any of the other Ivorian strikers. Of course he could end up wasting his physical attributes like Peter Crouch did.

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Alphabet said:

Willian would be good for Tottenham especially if they lose Bale. I read Man City is also trying to sign him. Traore seems like he could be awesome for the EPL but I dont really know too much about him. Eto'o could be good for chelsea but his wages are insane. Overall though, these are a lot of good players that could have a pretty big impact on EPL.

Oct 21, 2012
twitter.com
Eto'o won't be leaving, actually. He's just said he's content to stay at Anzhi, leeching 400k/week. That's a really low move from him. The club can't afford to pay his wages and yet he won't leave, that is incredibly selfish and could well end up destroying the club.

EPL: United, City and Chelsea have a new manager. I think Chelsea will be closer to the United clubs than last season. City with Pellegrini wants to play more attackking football, but it will take time to implement it. United is having a pretty bad pre-season so far, and Moyes doesn't seem to manage the Rooney situation very well. Chelsea still needs a top striker, Torres and Ba won't be enough.

Spurs are the team to watch next season. They bought Soldado and if Bale doesn't leave they have a very good squad. They still need some decent replacement for Lennon, or maybe they have confidence in Townsend, which made a pretty good impression at QPR on loan last season.

Arsenal has been linked to several players but didn't buy one. Giroud seems to be in top form pre-season, he could be a surprise. First of all they need a real defensive midfielder, but they really need 4-5 good players if they want to compete for the title. Which won't happen.

And also watch Swansea's Bony. I've watched him in the Eredivsie last season and I expected him to go to Arsenal/Spurs. This guy is a class act. Not tall, but very strong and scores very easily.

Liverpool will have a mediocre season. Their defense is average, they need a central defender. I like Coutinho the most, he was outstanding last season, very good player. But the squad is simply not good enough compared to the top clubs.

Bundesliga: 1 Bayern, 2 Dortmund. Bayern already was superior last season and improved their squad with Götze and Thiago.

La Liga: Title will be between Barca and Real as always. Especially because Atletico and Valencia sold their strikers (Falcao, Soldado). I've the feeling Real takes it this year. Don't know how Neymar-Messi will work out, and Barca doesn't have the team work anymore they used to have.

Eredivisie: Ajax top favourite. Would be a huge surprise to me if they don't become champion. PSV sold a lot of key players but is now playing very refreshing football with young players. Bakkali (17) is the most surprising here. They probably won't be consistent enough to compete with Ajax, but I predict them to become second.

Like Ajax, Feyenoord didn't sell key players. But they also didn't buy one. Koeman wants to take the team to the next level, but it doesn' seem to work so far. First match already lost. Still top 3 should be feasible, especially because teams like Vitesse and Twente are in decline and even if Feyenoord are having a bad season, I'd be surprised if they'll end up below those teams in the table.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Agree with your Dutch analysis, Bayern is nailed on, Barca will take the title again, imo.

As for your PL thoughts, I'm distressed that you omitted to mention West Ham.:cool:

I can review every team, but it already was too much :eek: Nothing really exciting happened at West Ham, almost the same players as last season. I think last year was a very good season for them, I wouldn't be surprised if they now would get into relegation troubles. I expect them between 11-14 on the table.

Norwich is also interesting. Signed a lot of players including the Dutchies Van Wolfswinkel and Fer. I also heard Redmond is a talented winger.

Oct 21, 2012
twitter.com
We (Chelsea) don't especially need a top striker. Lukaku should get 20 goals, and if Ba, Torres, Mata, Hazard, Oscar, Moses, Lampard chip in with 10 each that's enough goals. In an ideal world we throw Torres into Abramovich's evil volcano hideout in Siberia :p, and then buy a new striker.

Also Real Madrid's pursuit of Bale is starting to rival the Fabregas - Barcelona affair for underhanded behaviour, it's shameful.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
This is the guy to watch out for West Ham next year providing he keeps his head focussed on football.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...ady-prove-doubters-wrong-Twitter-turmoil.html

I remember watching him in England youth games and he looked a superb talent but has lost his way a bit in recent time. I was talking to a friend of mine(big United fan) that watched him quite regularly for United's youth team and who raved about him back then, was down at West Ham's recent friendly against our local side Cork City and he told me he looked a different player. He also scored against Hamburg and I think he could surprise a few this season. He's definitely a player whose progress I will be watching closely.

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
l.Harm said:
EPL: United, City and Chelsea have a new manager. I think Chelsea will be closer to the United clubs than last season. City with Pellegrini wants to play more attackking football, but it will take time to implement it. United is having a pretty bad pre-season so far, and Moyes doesn't seem to manage the Rooney situation very well. Chelsea still needs a top striker, Torres and Ba won't be enough.

Spurs are the team to watch next season. They bought Soldado and if Bale doesn't leave they have a very good squad. They still need some decent replacement for Lennon, or maybe they have confidence in Townsend, which made a pretty good impression at QPR on loan last season.

Arsenal has been linked to several players but didn't buy one. Giroud seems to be in top form pre-season, he could be a surprise. First of all they need a real defensive midfielder, but they really need 4-5 good players if they want to compete for the title. Which won't happen.

And also watch Swansea's Bony. I've watched him in the Eredivsie last season and I expected him to go to Arsenal/Spurs. This guy is a class act. Not tall, but very strong and scores very easily.

Liverpool will have a mediocre season. Their defense is average, they need a central defender. I like Coutinho the most, he was outstanding last season, very good player. But the squad is simply not good enough compared to the top clubs.

Bundesliga: 1 Bayern, 2 Dortmund. Bayern already was superior last season and improved their squad with Götze and Thiago.

La Liga: Title will be between Barca and Real as always. Especially because Atletico and Valencia sold their strikers (Falcao, Soldado). I've the feeling Real takes it this year. Don't know how Neymar-Messi will work out, and Barca doesn't have the team work anymore they used to have.

Eredivisie: Ajax top favourite. Would be a huge surprise to me if they don't become champion. PSV sold a lot of key players but is now playing very refreshing football with young players. Bakkali (17) is the most surprising here. They probably won't be consistent enough to compete with Ajax, but I predict them to become second.

Like Ajax, Feyenoord didn't sell key players. But they also didn't buy one. Koeman wants to take the team to the next level, but it doesn' seem to work so far. First match already lost. Still top 3 should be feasible, especially because teams like Vitesse and Twente are in decline and even if Feyenoord are having a bad season, I'd be surprised if they'll end up below those teams in the table.

Also sunderland could be a bit of a surprise as they have signed quite a few good players. But for the EPL Man City and Chelsea seem to have the best teams on paper and also good managers. City seems to have a very solid well rounded team and will be hard to beat (Navas is awesome).

Oct 21, 2012
twitter.com
I'm stunned to find out that Arsenal have paid more tax than they've spent on transfers (net spend) over the period 2007-2012:

12a+Arsenal+Use+of+Funds.jpg

:eek:

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Alphabet said:
I'm stunned to find out that Arsenal have paid more tax than they've spent on transfers (net spend) over the period 2007-2012:

12a+Arsenal+Use+of+Funds.jpg

:eek:

Seen that earlier on the respected Swiss Ramble site. It's a great site for the business side of football concerning many clubs.. Well worth a follow on twitter.

This was more telling to me from the article.

3a+PL+Cash.jpg

As at the end of the 2011/12 season (the latest year when football clubs have published their accounts), Arsenal had an incredible £154 million of cash, which is significantly higher than any of their competitors with Manchester United the closest with £71 million (less than half the Gunners’ cash pile). An even more amazing statistic is that Arsenal have almost as much cash as the rest of the Premier League’s other 19 clubs combined (£181 million).

http://swissramble.blogspot.ch/2013/08/arsenal-money-dont-matter-2-night.html

TRENDING THREADS