• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Real Football Thread

Page 99 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I agrree United need new sinings, and van Gaal does so two.
But your argument about di Maria is flawed. Both van Persie and Mata are very diffrent players than di Maria is and aren't in any way the type of wide players van Gaal needs for his system. Plus, and in di Maria's case that wouldbe more important: they aren't in any way central midfielders. (Plus van Persie will play in the strikers role anyway). Di Maria would offer engergy and dynamism completly unknown to Uniteds midfield since probably the days of Keane. Plus he'd offer a greater variety of options both in they way certain roles are played and in the sensefullness of playing diffrent systems like 4231 and 433.
He'd still be bloody expensive though and I can't see United paying 80mio € for him.

What United desperatly need for van Gaals new system are central backs. There is none of top quality in the squad and only 3 who have any kind of experience.

But well, I really don't like United so I hope they'll sign two more CAMs tree pointless Wingers and no CB. ;)

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Rechtschreibfehler said:
I agrree United need new sinings, and van Gaal does so two.
But your argument about di Maria is flawed. Both van Persie and Mata are very diffrent players than di Maria is and aren't in any way the type of wide players van Gaal needs for his system. Plus, and in di Maria's case that wouldbe more important: they aren't in any way central midfielders. (Plus van Persie will play in the strikers role anyway). Di Maria would offer engergy and dynamism completly unknown to Uniteds midfield since probably the days of Keane. Plus he'd offer a greater variety of options both in they way certain roles are played and in the sensefullness of playing diffrent systems like 4231 and 433.
He'd still be bloody expensive though and I can't see United paying 80mio € for him.

What United desperatly need for van Gaals new system are central backs. There is none of top quality in the squad and only 3 who have any kind of experience.
i wasn't sure about the usefulness of Di Maria, but you've convinced me.

I'm still hoping for Cuadrado. I haven't seen him play a lot, but what i've seen is compelling.
technique combined with strength and pace. About Vidal I'm not sure. His main feature seems to be his strength and fighting spirit (correct me if i;m wrong)

But well, I really don't like United so I hope they'll sign two more CAMs tree pointless Wingers and no CB. ;)
:D

My only bond with ManU is that I'm Dutch.
Since our own league (eredivisie as you no doubt know) has become a laughing stock, much of our national soccer pride rests on the shoulders of our players and coaches abroad.
(For instance, Bayern Munich was perhaps the most unpopular club among Dutch soccer fans for a long time, but that changed all of a sudden when Van Gaal and Robben went there)

Great win for my Aston Villa side yesterday at Stoke, the back 4 put in a big shift and Vlaar just gets better and better. We must keep him if we are to survive again.

Good news that we brought Colombian holding mid Carlos Sanchez who had a great World Cup, also Benteke to come back when fit. Maybe this season won't be all doom and gloom after all, long way to go of course.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Pricey_sky said:
Great win for my Aston Villa side yesterday at Stoke, the back 4 put in a big shift and Vlaar just gets better and better. We must keep him if we are to survive again.

Good news that we brought Colombian holding mid Carlos Sanchez who had a great World Cup, also Benteke to come back when fit. Maybe this season won't be all doom and gloom after all, long way to go of course.
vlaar was considered a talent at Feyenoord who could have gone on to play for a top club. But at a certain point he stopped developing according to expectations, also due to injuries. The world cup was his second breakthrough, so to say. He's ready again for a top club.
I hope for you he stays at Villa, but he'd be the right player for ManUnited at the moment, assuming they won't be able to sign Hummels.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
sniper said:
vlaar was considered a talent at Feyenoord who could have gone on to play for a top club. But at a certain point he stopped developing according to expectations, also due to injuries. The world cup was his second breakthrough, so to say. He's ready again for a top club.
I hope for you he stays at Villa, but he'd be the right player for ManUnited at the moment, assuming they won't be able to sign Hummels.

Vlaar had "the new Jaap Stam" tag on him when he was at AZ. Jol tried to sign him for Spurs back then. His form has carried on after the World Cup, he was excellent against Stoke at the weekend. Lambert isn't happy with Koeman talking publicly about signing him.

I have watched a lot of the Dutch league the opening couple of weeks now that Sky have the rights. El Ghazi looks a talent for Ajax. Schone has started the season brilliantly. It will be a close run league with PSV. I recorded that game as it clashed with the Arsenal one, Wijnaldum and Depay were outstanding. You see the crazy price tags being quoted for Vidal, I don't see why a club doesn't come in for Wijnaldum. I don't think Feyenoord will be up to much, I was watching the Porto game last Friday and the commentator mentioned Clasie as the player they want to replace Fernando.

On Porto, watch out for a 17 year old named Ruben Neves who made his debut starting the game and scored. He played in a deep midfield role and has a great range of passing.

Not disappointed with Arsenal's result even if the performance wasn't great. We have an excellent midfield but it's being wasted with Giroud up front. He was terrible tonight and it brought back bad memories of last year. The play kept breaking up with him. He's no threat in behind and the midfield can't play balls down the side of defenders to run on to. I find it staggering this is his third season as Arsenal's main striker. They won't win a league with him as your main man up top.

My prediction:

1. Chelsea
2. Man City
3. Arsenal
4. Man Utd
5. Liverpool

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
It will all end in tears. The circus around him in the British media will be nothing short of headwrecking.

That signing won't revise my opinion that Liverpool will finish 5th.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
We were lucky there. A draw away to Everton is a decent result. We need to start improving the performances.

The big news tonight, Di Maria has decided to join United.

Hugo87 said:
Arsenal is really trying to sign 33 years old Zigic to replace Giroud? :eek:

Well, they did have a little luck picking up Flamini off the scrap heap last season. However, I think it must be an attempted ruse to drive the sticker price down on whoever they are really targeting. I don't see Sanchez as an out and out striker, so they need to bring in somebody to compete with Sanogo.

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
djpbaltimore said:
Well, they did have a little luck picking up Flamini off the scrap heap last season. However, I think it must be an attempted ruse to drive the sticker price down on whoever they are really targeting. I don't see Sanchez as an out and out striker, so they need to bring in somebody to compete with Sanogo.

Yes, but at least Flamini is younger and they believed that his knee injury was finally over, that target hopefully isn't Welbeck.

Sanogo last year didn't scored a single goal, Sanchez is very good as a winger or paired with another forward like Di Natale while playing in Udinese or Neymar/Messi in Barcelona, not playing striker all alone. But he did score today his first goal with the club against Besiktas.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
djpbaltimore said:

Does this mean that you're a Gooner, Dan, or are you just well clued up in general?

TRENDING THREADS