• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Real Football Thread

Page 100 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Yesterday I was at Feyenoord-Zoryan Luhansk. Away 1-1, 3-0 in front and then the opponent came back to 3-3 :eek: Would have been the sixth consecutive year to not qualify for the group stages in Europe. But then in the 92th minute, Manutelli scored and Rotterdam was happy :cool:

ME2908-Manu.jpeg

Must have been one of the craziest matches I ever visited.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
l.Harm said:
Yesterday I was at Feyenoord-Zoryan Luhansk. Away 1-1, 3-0 in front and then the opponent came back to 3-3 :eek: Would have been the sixth consecutive year to not qualify for the group stages in Europe. But then in the 92th minute, Manutelli scored and Rotterdam was happy :cool:

ME2908-Manu.jpeg

Must have been one of the craziest matches I ever visited.
with koeman still in charge, my guess is they'd have gone down 3-3.

manutelli, is that balotelli's nephew?

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Ajax once again got shafted by the draw. After three years of Real, now Barca for the second year running. With PSG and Appoel, Ajax will be lucky to finish third.:eek:

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
Amsterhammer said:
Ajax once again got shafted by the draw. After three years of Real, now Barca for the second year running. With PSG and Appoel, Ajax will be lucky to finish third.:eek:

At least you got Apoel, my Benfica got Zenit, Leverkusen and Monaco, not a single weak team for at least have the third place confirmed. After Oblak, Siqueira, Garay, Markovic, Rodrigo, Gomes and Cardozo leaving this summer, we are the shadow from the last year's team and i'm not even counting with Matic leaving in January or the possibility of Gaitan and Enzo being sold till 1 of September. :mad:

Amsterhammer said:
Does this mean that you're a Gooner, Dan, or are you just well clued up in general?

My allegiances are mostly on the mild side, but my 3 favorite teams are Arsenal, Celtic, and whoever is playing ManU. Arsenal vs Barcelona in the 2006 final was the game that really brought me back to the sport and the squads with young Cesc pulling the strings will always be one of the most aesthetically satisfying teams I have ever watched. I'm glad that you can actually see a lot of games in the USA nowadays.

Hugo87 said:
At least you got Apoel, my Benfica got Zenit, Leverkusen and Monaco, not a single weak team for at least have the third place confirmed. After Oblak, Siqueira, Garay, Markovic, Rodrigo, Gomes and Cardozo leaving this summer, we are the shadow from the last year's team and i'm not even counting with Matic leaving in January or the possibility of Gaitan and Enzo being sold till 1 of September. :mad:

If Monaco goes through with their plan to loan Falcao, I can see them imploding in the CL like Marseille did last year. But that group is definitely the most balanced of all the groups from a competitive standpoint.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
gooner said:
Wow.

Falcao to United rumours going strong. One journalist in Spain with AS says it's a done deal.

65m euros, 4 year deal.

interesting, but is he really the guy manU need?
united still neglecting midfield and central defense.

of the attacking lot (van persie, rooney, mata, falcao, dimaria), i wonder who's gonna do most benchsitting this season.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
gooner said:
Wow.

Falcao to United rumours going strong. One journalist in Spain with AS says it's a done deal.

65m euros, 4 year deal.

Welcome back. ;)

Yup, first Real was a done deal, now he's apparently costing `12m on a year's loan, with the final sale to take place next year. To quote Linaker, "What the Falcao?" They've decided to abandon defending and simply outscore the opposition. :D

Also rumors that Van Persie needs a knee operation.

sniper said:
interesting, but is he really the guy manU need?
united still neglecting midfield and central defense.

of the attacking lot (van persie, rooney, mata, falcao, dimaria), i wonder who's gonna do most benchsitting this season.

Shrek, which is unfortunate, since I like him. Di Maria and Mata belong in the wings so it's not a problem. What is tricky is finding a position for three strikers. I can see Van Gaal placing Van Persie behind Falcão as a second striker or to to a lesser extent, the opposite. Rooney will most likely be an alternative the entire season. Of course with a 4-2-3-1 or a 4-2-2-2 like this, you have to have top defencive players. And the problem does not lie in CD and MF only: as I see it, by signing Rojo, United has taken a risk as I don't think he is the defender that was needed. He often likes to get involved in the attack or transport the ball himself, leaving spaces behind him which are often vulnerable to counter-attacks. We've seen this in Sporting, we've seen this in the WC. In his attacking style, Rojo resembles Fábio Coentrão, though not as mature and certainly not has capable a defender.

Zam_Olyas said:
He could let Rooney dropped into the midfield with di maria, perise and falcao upfront.

That would be an idea, in case the objective was to win the Most-Goals-Conceded-in-a-Single-Season award :p. Rooney is past his horse days and is more of an opportunist now, right? So placing him in the midfield would be offencive-defencive suicide, a lose-lose. Di Maria, due to his speed and ability to come in from the sides, is more useful in the right wing I believe. ManU should have anticipated and bought Alonso instead of Di Maria, or, since they seem so interested in the attack, get a box-to-box. Perhaps rehabilitate Raul Meireles and, at the age of 31, make him the midfielder he was meant to be. He must be a bargain now.

BigMac said:
That would be an idea, in case the objective was to win the Most-Goals-Conceded-in-a-Single-Season award :p. Rooney is past his horse days and is more of an opportunist now, right? So placing him in the midfield would be offencive-defencive suicide, a lose-lose. Di Maria, due to his speed and ability to come in from the sides, is more useful in the right wing I believe. ManU should have anticipated and bought Alonso instead of Di Maria, or, since they seem so interested in the attack, get a box-to-box. Perhaps rehabilitate Raul Meireles and, at the age of 31, make him the midfielder he was meant to be. He must be a bargain now.

Yea, it is a conundrum..... he could get back to his favoured 4-3-3..... and i don't think dropping rooney in midfield could let in more goals ..or if persie needs a knee surgery there would be no need to have rooney play in the midfield. Di maria has shown in the past that he can play both as a midfielder or a foward in a 4-3-3 system. Anyways what a display by Liverpool and Il Faraone this past weekend....he could be back to his best.

Zam_Olyas said:
Yea, it is a concundrum..... he could get back to his favoured 4-3-3..... and i don't think dropping rooney in midfield could let in more goals ..or if persie needs a knee surgery there would be no need to have rooney play in the midfield. Di maria has shown in the past that he can play both as a midfielder or a foward in a 4-3-3 system.

Oh, didn't get it. Yes a 4-3-3 seems only logical, though it would mean either Falcão or Van Persie sit in the bench if Rooney is going to be in the midfield, because I still think Di Maria should play as forward. If Van Gaal is going for an attack-focused line-up he should get the best of the attackers, and Di Maria's speed is better exploited while he is in the wings. I think it's too risky to have both Di Maria and Rooney in the middle, unless if with a good CDM just behind them. Who do they have? Anyway, with players such as Ashley Young and Welbeck, there are just too many options for the attack. It will be interesting to see ManU Vs. Chelsea and see how the two styles clash.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Mata can't play on the wing, Di Maria is wasted there, Rooney is past it but can't be dropped, Falcao will contract the United disease, Herrera and Blind are nothing special.

It's delicious.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
SeriousSam said:
Mata can't play on the wing, Di Maria is wasted there, Rooney is past it but can't be dropped, Falcao will contract the United disease, Herrera and Blind are nothing special.

It's delicious.
i'm not seeing how Blind is a reinforcement either.
he's a very mediocre player.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Welbeck to Arsenal done.

Good addition. His link up play is very good, Arsenal's creative midfield should be able to play off his game quite easily. Needs to up the goal tally though.

Glued to Sky Sports News all day. Long tiresome day.

BTW Hull done some great business.

TRENDING THREADS