• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Real Football Thread

Page 159 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
In Madrid they have stopped saying "we are more a team and stronger without Ronaldo" and dramatically shifted to a loud crying because he's gone.
There are a couple of bloggers on AS that for months have said how Madrid has made Ronaldo great and not vice versa that now are claiming Florentino head and asking to buy him back for 300M :lol:

Anyway i think they were killed by the two clasicos of last week, in the first one they have played way better but without being effective and only an incredible second half from Suarez punished them.
And they still have an autoinflicted handicap because Solari from the first day on charge started a feud with the two classiest players they have (Marcelo and Isco) and doesn't see them putting all the pressure of the attack on a 18 years old (Vinicius Jr.) that isn't very effective when comes to scoring goals.
Well, there is also Ramos that was an idiot to force a yellow card on the first leg to rest for the next round.

After the shipwreak the funny thing is that the "afición" wants Mourinho thinking that he can solve every problem they have. Mourinho, the one that in four years with them has won almost nothing and after he was gone they started winning Champions after Champions, that looks done and he's only able to play the catenaccio that they hate (i still remember when they fired Capello after winning the Liga because the didn't like how he played), i started to think of a Madrid with the bus parked for 85 minutes and Fellaini subbed in as centre forward in the final five minutes to score a goal from a dead ball play and i can't stop laughing.

Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Plus Ajax was amazing. As they have been the whole year in the CL. (in the league they have clear off days).

They deserve ample credit. Not just Real being bad.
Everyone recognize the amount of talent Ajax have but the demerits of Real were so big that probably they would have lost in a bad way even against a random Porto whereas i don't think Ajax would have won against an Atlético.

Re: Re:

ebandit said:
Pricey_sky said:
So Man United follow Ajax’s lead and comeback against the odds.

PSG owners now spent 1.2 billion since taking over and still not got further than the last 8. :lol:

shock! .............ajax were great but i really can't believe just how lucky man u were......

largely outplayed............then gifted the win in 2nd leg.........ffs

Agreed, but sometimes it’s better to be lucky than good. You very rarely win anything in sport being unlucky.

Re: Re:

ebandit said:
Pricey_sky said:
So Man United follow Ajax’s lead and comeback against the odds.

PSG owners now spent 1.2 billion since taking over and still not got further than the last 8. :lol:

shock! .............ajax were great but i really can't believe just how lucky man u were......

largely outplayed............then gifted the win in 2nd leg.........ffs
That's one way of interpreting the result.

I wonder who has the trash bin instead of the heart this year...

234802262-d60ff08e-92e1-403e-8dee-46b13b16936d.jpg

Arsenal just cannot do anything right when they play in Europe. A first half red card. On the ensuing free kick, they block the shot, but Bourigeaud gets it back, has another crack, and scores. Then in the 2nd half Monreal with the own goal, then they concede in the 88th minute. Ends in 3-1. I kind of feel sorry for the Gooners.

It's the first time that Juventus advance to the next round after losing 2-0 in the first leg in any UEFA competition (incidentally they did it in the unofficial Fairs Cup with Atlético).
Ronaldo showed again that the knockout phase is his favourite playground but incredible performances from Emre Çan used as right defender in the 3-4-3 to cover Cancelo and from Spinazzola at his very first game in the competition, probably only Citizens could beat that Juventus in two leg.

After the match on Sky they showed that Ronaldo holds almost every scoring record in the competition, only the most goals for the same team and in the group stage are missing (Messi holds both). He's:
*Top scorer.
*Top assist server.
*Top scorer on free kicks.
*Top scorer on penalties.
*Top scorer in knockout phase.
*Top scorer in home games.
*Top scorer in away games.
*Top scorer in a single edition.
*Player with most twice scored games.
*Player with most hat-tricks.
*Most seasons as top scorer.
*Most consecutive seasons as top scorer.
*Most consecutive games scored in.

Probably I've even forgotten something but the most funny is that he holds the record for the goals scored against a single opponent and this opponent is his actual team :D

In Madrid they found an harmless and disbanding team but this time Ajax were really impressive, they let Juventus play in the first half but then in the second was a total domination. I've heard Agnelli and Allegri post match interviews and they didn't even try to protest for the handball in the extra time admitting a fair and square defeat and the superior strength of the opposition.

Now will be interesting to see them against Citizens (if Pep won't try to commit suicide again like last week) but if they hold that shape in an eventual final against Barça i think they are favourites because Barça suffers terribly when the opposite team hold the game and play aggression not letting them play in the way they want.

Gigs_98 said:
Tottenham or Ajax will be in the CL final. Incredible. I'm so happy right now.

I really hope Ajax will prevail out of that pair as I've not managed to warm to Tottenham quite as much as many other football fans I know. I don't know what exactly it is, but something about them manages to irritate me and I usually end up cheering against them when watching them play. Maybe its their often quite pragmatic and cynical playing style, maybe something else.