• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Real Football Thread

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The Hitch said:
There are already plenty of threads about this, including the one just below this on the subform.

And personally i save the word art for much higher and more awe-inspiring creations.

We have the babes on bikes thread for real art. You choose which art to admire, or choose both. If you think you can...

Thoughtforfood said:
This is Julius Peppers

peppers.jpg

He would rip this guys head off.

ronaldo_gay_icon.jpg

Let us recognize that descriptors like "real" are subjective...extremely subjective.

*implying some1 who needs to use a full body armour to feel safe while playing a sport is manly*

Thomsena said:
No, he is definitly not. And Chelsea paid an overprize for him. He'll be nothing but a backup - just as he was in Liverpool.

And it's idiot he was in Liverpool. How much paid Chelsea? Didn't read it.

And I would like to ask someone with mod-power to keep this thread clean. Thank you.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
this is the association football thread, there is an american football thread aswell, so let us not turn either of them into a childish argument about the name of football or I will start deleting things :S

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
l.Harm said:
And it's idiot he was in Liverpool. How much paid Chelsea? Didn't read it.

And I would like to ask someone with mod-power to keep this thread clean. Thank you.

12 mil. He had a good run of 6 games last season and that was pretty much it.

Parrulo said:
mourinho is arrogant because he says the truth?

any1 that says barca hasn't been helped by the referees over the last 3 years is just blind. . .

Didnt hear anyone complain when Messis perfectly legit goal was disallowed against Arsenal which would have made it 0-2 and knocked Arsenal out. Instead Arsenal are let back into the tie and when van persie gets a red card, THEN they complain.

I also didnt hear him complain when Inters third offside goal was allowed in the 1st leg of the semi, then in the 2nd bojans legitimate last minute goal was disallowed, either one of which should have taken Barca through, knocked him out, and both of which prove that there is no Barca fifa conspiracy.

Of course his other champions league was also won on a wrong decision, against Man utd.

If it wasnt for wrong decisions he would never have gotten close to a champions league final yet alone the trophy, and yet when he acts as if the world is against him, all his lamps nod in agreement, and the tabloids "baaa" along.

Narcisinho is a european Billy Gragham.

A

Anonymous

Parrulo said:
*implying some1 who needs to use a full body armour to feel safe while playing a sport is manly*

You aren't man enough to say that to his face, so stay in the cheap seats.

the top 30 teams in Europe in average 2010 attendance was from about 40,000 to 80,000. The LA Galaxy with Beckham would draw about 60,000 in attendance, but averaged about 20,000 without him. The Seattle Sounders drew an average attendance of 36,000 in 2010. So in Europe interest in football is still much greater than in the States (Duh). But football in the States is growing, and was reported in March 2011 to be on the verge of overtaking the NHL in attendance. http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/sports/2011/03/24/major-league-soccer-poised-overtake-nhl-4th-popular-professional-sports-league/

A

Anonymous

Why do NFL have to post here? i dont see any football fans saying anything in the NFL thread

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
palmerq said:
I think france from 2000 were the best team ever, well the best I remember, I in my head they would beat the spain team now and barcelona...

no way. France were pretty lucky to win euro in 2000.

If anything I'd say they were better 98' but I actually think -apart from the final- brazil were better.

Alpe d'Huez said:
I have to agree (though TFF's post made me chuckle). Let's keep this on topic and not get derailed. Especially with a Football vs. other sport debate.

Could be because unlike the nfl thread, this doesnt call itself the association football thread but the "real football" thread.

no way. France were pretty lucky to win euro in 2000.

If anything I'd say they were better 98' but I actually think -apart from the final- brazil were better.

They beat a pretty normal Italy team on pens in 98 and golden goal in 2000. The great teams destroy their rivals.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
italy are always tricky when they get to the knockout stages, spain needed penalties agaisnt them in 2008 aswell when they were bad, in 2000 maldini was still going strong then and totti was playing the best he ever managed for the national team come to think of it italy had a really good team back then and france won.. In Frances few years of domination they looked to me the best team I have ever seen(I think they had a better squad in 2000 though) although I really only remember from 96(and a wee bit of usa 94), I think they would beat this spain team and would beat barca over 2 legs....

I dont know about teams from the 70s or 80s and so on :S.

In 2000 Holland had to beat Italy in the semi's. Holland missed 2 penalty's and Italy played with nine men. At the end there was another penalty fail and Italy made it to the final.

Last tournaments Italy did very bad. Last year they didn't even survive the poules. They couldn't even beat New Zealand lol. 2008 Holland outplayed them but they survived anyway because France was even worse (look at France last WC :p). Quarter final Spain indeed won after penalty's but Italy was lucky to reach them.

Now Italy have some decent players but I don't think they're a threat for countries like Spain, Holland and Germany. Brazil and Argentina are inconsistent so on a good day Italy can beat them, but I rate both countries higher though.

2006 was the last time Italy did well and reached the final. They builded on old players and failed to bring in younger players. Now they have to use that young players but that will take some time. Besides, that young players (Montolivo, Marchisio, Rossi for example) didn't prove their potential yet. They don't play for topteams or didn't really breakthrough yet (Marchisio). I have faith in Prandelli but I'm curious he'll make a topteam.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
yes italy are very strange, but when they get to the knockout stages they are always awkward for teams and they are not easy to beat unless they are in their crazy stupid mode which happens every so often :S

The Hitch said:
They beat a pretty normal Italy team on pens in 98 and golden goal in 2000. The great teams destroy their rivals.

How often does that happen, though? I don't remember any team winning World Cup by destroying all the rivals. The only such display of dominance I can remember in any international football competition was last year's Porto Europa League campaign.

I don't understand Liverpool. Giving Aquilani and Meirelles so easily... Ok, Aquilani wasn't spectacular in Liverpool, and he had problems with injury, but he is still technically better than most of Liverpool players. But selling Meirelles to Chelsea for 12 millions - ridiculous. Especially after spending almost 100 millions of euros in last 2 transfer markets mainly on English players of questionable quality [in relation to the price].

It was interesting transfer market in Italy. I know Serie A is not so popular any more, but I think it will probably be very good season, with few teams that have similar quality.

A

Anonymous

slim charles said:
How often does that happen, though? I don't remember any team winning World Cup by destroying all the rivals. The only such display of dominance I can remember in any international football competition was last year's Porto Europa League campaign.

I don't understand Liverpool. Giving Aquilani and Meirelles so easily... Ok, Aquilani wasn't spectacular in Liverpool, and he had problems with injury, but he is still technically better than most of Liverpool players. But selling Meirelles to Chelsea for 12 millions - ridiculous. Especially after spending almost 100 millions of euros in last 2 transfer markets mainly on English players of questionable quality [in relation to the price].

It was interesting transfer market in Italy. I know Serie A is not so popular any more, but I think it will probably be very good season, with few teams that have similar quality.
these are the transfer i know of in italy
ATALANTA
In: Gabbiadini (Cittadella), Schelotto (Catania), Ardemagni (Padova), Caserta (Cesena), Lucchini (Sampdoria), A.Masiello (Bari), Moralez (Velez).
Out: Delvecchio (Catania), Basha (Torino), Ruopolo (Padova), Defendi (Bari), Dalla Bona, Amoruso, Talamonti, Troest (Varese), Radovanovic (Novara).
BOLOGNA
In: Gillet (Bari), Rickler (Piacenza), Pulzetti (Livorno), Crespo (Padova), Vantaggiato (Padova), Antonsson (Copenaghen), Rodriguez (Genoa), Vitale (Napoli), Agliardi (Padova), Acquafresca (Genoa), Diamanti (Brescia), Taider (Grenoble).
Out: Viviano (Inter), Lupatelli (Genoa), Esposito (Lecce), Ekdal (Juventus), Meggiorini (Novara), Bernacci (Modena), Buscè, Mutarelli, Moras, Britos (Napoli)
CAGLIARI
In: El Kabir (Mjallby), Sivakov (Wisla Cracovia), Ibarbo (Atletico Nacional), Avramov (Fiorentina), Gozzi (Modena), Suazo (Inter).
Out: Marchetti (Lazio), Acquafresca (Bologna), Missiroli (Reggina), Ragatzu (Gubbio), Lazzari (Fiorentina), Pelizzoli (Padova).
CATANIA
In: Moretti (Ascoli), Barrientos (Estudiantes), Delvecchio (Atalanta), Terracciano (Nocerina), Regula (Vitoria Setubal), Keko (Atletico Madrid).
Out: Schelotto (Atalanta), Bergessio (Saint-Etienne), Carboni (Banfield), Terlizzi, Pesce (Novara), Morimoto (Novara).
CESENA
In: Mutu (Fiorentina), Rennella (Grasshoppers), M. Rossi (Bari), De Feudis (Torino), Comotto (Fiorentina), Eder (Brescia), Gilnics (Athletic), Candreva (Udinese), Guana (Palermo).
Out: Jimenez (Al Alhi), Felipe (Fiorentina), Santon (Inter), Dellafiore (Palermo), Caserta (Atalanta), Pellegrino (Colon), Fatic (Chievo), Gorobsov (Torino), Appiah.
CHIEVO
In: Acerbi (Reggina), Bassoli (Foligno), Hetemaj (Brescia), Bentivoglio (Bari), Iunco (Torino), Fatic (Cesena), Carretta (Andria), Longhi (Triestina)
Out: Constant (Genoa), Bogliacino (Napoli), Gelson Fernandes (Saint Etienne), Marcolini (Padova), Mantovani (Palermo), Iori (Torino), Granoche (Novara), Guana (Cesena), Iunco (Spezia).
FIORENTINA
In: Nastasic (Partizan Belgrade), Romulo (Atletico Paranaense), Felipe (Cesena), Papa Waigo (Grosseto), Munari (Palermo), Lazzari (Cagliari)
Out: Mutu (Cesena), Donadel (Napoli), D’Agostino (Siena), Avramov (Cagliari), Comotto (Cesena), Santana (Napoli), Seculin (Juve Stabia), Frey (Genoa), Seferovic (Neuchatel Xamax).
GENOA
In: Birsa (Auxerre), Constant (Chievo), Granqvist (Groningen), Ribas (Digione), Ze Eduardo (Santos), Pratto (Universidad Catolica), Seymour (Universidad de Cile), Jorquera (Colo Colo), Krajnc (Maribor), Vinetot (Crotone), Acquafresca (Cagliari), Meggiorini (Bologna), Lupatelli (Bologna), Kharja (Inter), Papastathopoulos, Beretta and Merkel (Milan), Frey (Fiorentina), William (Corinthians).
Out: Criscito (Zenit St. Petersburg), El Shaarawy and Paloschi (Milan), Rafinha (Bayern Munich), Boakye and Cofie (Sassuolo), Floro Flores (Udinese), Boselli (Wigan), Lamanna (Bari), Rodriguez (Bologna), Konko (Lazio), Destro (Siena), Meggiorini (Novara), Acquafresca (Bologna), Eduardo (Benfica), Paro (Vicenza), Chico (Mallorca), Milanetto (Padova).
INTER
In: Castaignos (Feyenoord), Viviano (Bologna), Caldirola (Vitesse), Santon (Cesena), Muntari (Sunderland), Alvarez (Velez), Jonathan (Santos).
Out: Materazzi, Kharja (Genoa), Suazo (Cagliari), Bardi (Livorno).
JUVENTUS
In: Pirlo (Milan), Ziegler (Sampdoria), Lichtsteiner (Lazio), Pazienza (Napoli), Amauri (Parma), Almiron (Bari), Ekdal (Bologna), Marrone (Siena), Pasquato (Modena), Vidal (Bayer Leverkusen), Vucinic (Roma).
Out: Aquilani (Liverpool), Traore (Arsenal), Rinaudo (Napoli), Salihamidzic (Wolfsburg), Immobile (Pescara), Tiago (Atletico Madrid), Felipe Melo (Galatasaray), Sissoko (PSG)
LAZIO
In: Klose (Bayern Munich), Lulic (Young Boys), Konko (Genoa), Cavanda (Torino), Mendicino (Ascoli), Marchetti (Cagliari), Stankevicius (Valencia), Cissè (Panathinaikos), Cana (Galatasaray).
Out: Lichtsteiner (Juventus), Muslera (Galatasaray), Berni (Braga), Bonetto, Meghni, Manfredini (Sambonifacese), Bonetto (Bassano).
LECCE
In: Esposito (Bologna), Cacia (Piacenza), Carrozzieri (Palermo), Strasser (Milan), Obodo (Udinese), Julio Sergio (Roma), Cuadrado (Udinese)
Out: Rosati (Napoli), Munari (Fiorentina), Rispoli (Sampdoria), Coppola (Parma), Sini and Bertolacci (Roma), Gustavo (Botafogo), Fabiano (Shandong Luneg), Giuliatto (fc), Chevanton (Colon), Donati (Padova), Vives (Torino).
MILAN
In: Mexes (Roma), Taiwo (Marsiglia), El Shaarawy, Paloschi and Zigoni (Genoa), Comi (Torino).
Out: Pirlo (Juventus), Jankulovski (Banik Ostrava), Papastathopoulos, Beretta and Merkel (Genoa), Albertazzi (Getafe), Didac Vilà (Espanyol), Coppola, Oduamadi and Verdi (Torino), Beretta (Ascoli), Onyewu (Sporting Lisbon), Osuji (Padova), Legrottaglie, Adiyiah (Karsiyaka), Strasser (Lecce).
NAPOLI
In: Fernandez (Estudiantes), Donadel (Fiorentina), Dzemaili (Parma), Rosati (Lecce), Bogliacino (Chievo), Mannini (Sampdoria), Rinaudo (Juventus), Cigarini (Siviglia), Dalla Bona (Atalanta), Inler (Udinese), Britos (Bologna), Santana (Fiorentina), Colombo (Triestina).
Out: Pazienza (Juventus), Blasi and Santacroce (Parma), Yebda (Benfica), Cribari (Cruzeiro), Iezzo, Gianello, Amodio, Bucchi, Hoffer (Eintracht Frankfurt), Vitale (Bologna), Dumitru (Empoli), Sosa (Metalist).
NOVARA
In: Paci (Parma), Meggiorini (Genoa), Mazzarani (Udinese), Morimoto (Catania), Pesce (Catania), Garcia (Palermo), Coser (Ascoli), Granoche (Chievo), Giorgi (Ascoli), Radovanovic(Atalanta).
Out: Bertani (Sampdoria), Gonzalez (Palermo), Gheller (Pavia), Gigliotti (San Lorenzo), Parola, Strukelj and Drascek, Bianchi (Foggia), Lanteri (Foggia).
PALERMO
In: Gonzalez (Novara), Cetto (Tolosa), Milanovic (Lokomotiv Moscow), Zahavi (Hapoel Tel Aviv), Simon (Haladas), Labrin (Huachipato), Pisano (Varese), Munari (Lecce), Lanzafame (Brescia), Mantovani (Chievo), Lores (Defensor).
Out: Paolucci (Siena), Liverani, Glik (Torino), Darmian (Torino), Carrozzieri (Lecce), Ciani (Polonia Varsavia), Munari (Fiorentina), Garcia (Novara), Guana (Cesena), Goian (Glasgow Rangers), Kasami (Fulham), Sirigu and Pastore (PSG), Kurtic (Varese).
PARMA
In: Pellè (Az Alkmaar), Borini (Chelsea), Sansone (Bayern Munich), Brandao (Siena), Blasi and Santacroce (Napoli), Coppola (Lecce), Danilo (Aris Salonicco), Pereyra (Nacional), Biabiany (Sampdoria), Valdes (Sporting Lisbon), Fabio Nunes (Portimonense).
Out: Amauri (Juventus), Dzemaili (Napoli), Angelo (Siena), Paci (Novara), Rispoli (Sampdoria), Bojinov (Sporting Lisbon), Pisano (Vicenza), Schiavi (Padova), Filipe Oliveira (Videoton).
ROMA
In: Cicinho (Villarreal), Okaka (Bari), Curci and Guberti (Sampdoria), Bertolacci and Sini (Lecce), Crescenzi (Crotone), Pettinari (Crotone), José Angel (Sporting Gijon), Nego (Nantes), Bojan (Barcelona), Lamela (River Plate), Heinze (Marseille), Stekelenburg (Ajax).
Out: Mexes (Milan), Castellini (Sampdoria), G. Burdisso, Loria, Riise (Fulham), Guberti (Torino), Doni (Liverpool), Menez (Paris Saint Germain), Julio Sergio (Lecce), Vucinic (Roma).
SIENA
In: Angelo (Parma), Tziolis (Racing), Paolucci (Palermo), Belmonte and Codrea (Bari), Destro (Genoa), Grossi (Varese), D’Agostino (Udinese), Angella (Udinese), Brkic (Udinese), Pesoli (Varese).
Out: Brandao (Parma), Coppola (Torino), Marrone (Juventus), Cacciatore (Sampdoria), Carobbio (Spezia), Kamata.
UDINESE
In: Danilo (Palmeiras), Fabbrini (Empoli), Barreto (Bari), D’Agostino (Fiorentina), Floro Flores (Genoa), Brkic (Vojvodina), Mazzarani (Modena), Doubai (Young Boys), Sissoko (Troyes), Neuton (Gremio).
Out: Beleck (Aek Athens), D’Agostino (Siena), Angella (Siena), Zapata (Villarreal), Romero (Granada), Inler (Napoli), Brkic (Siena), Forestieri (Bari), Sanchez (Barcelona), Cuadrado(Lecce).

yea, re aquilani and meireles i agree with you but He is the KING and in King Kenny we trust.

Brazil worse than Holland Germany, Spain?

Internationally Brazil are the best team in the world. 1 idiot messed up their world cup (not the manager:p) otherwise they would have won. even in that first half, they owned holland the way Barca own la liga teams. A little luck and they would have been 3-0 up at the break.

If Spain had Messi maybe they could challenge Brazil, but Brazil just have super players on all areas of the pitch.

I always thought strenght can beat Spain (look at how they struggled in almost every match, scraping through, losing to Suisse). Lucio, Maicon the others showed when they were with inter even barca had trouble getting through them. and spain dont have Messi.

and Spain are better than Germany and Holland.

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
If Spain had Messi maybe they could challenge Brazil, but Brazil just have super players on all areas of the pitch.

I always thought strenght can beat Spain (look at how they struggled in almost every match, scraping through, losing to Suisse). Lucio, Maicon the others showed when they were with inter even barca had trouble getting through them. and spain dont have Messi.

and Spain are better than Germany and Holland.

Not as long as Casillas is goalie.
And Brazil wasn't playing as good as Spain in '10

A

Anonymous

I want to see a chelsea vs real madrid match...the master against his pupil would be tactically interesting. Villas boas will be the sign of the season for chelsea :)

Apr 15, 2010
Visit site
I support West Ham.

this summer we have signed 12 players, predominantly average players who have worked with sam allardyce before.

we have let about 15 go, including 2 of the young talented kids, who could be the future of the team, (stanislas and hines) and about 5 or 6 first teamers from last year (which isn't very surprising as we were relegated)

can't say i'm overly impressed.
although we did keep, carlton cole (who could dominate the championship) and sign kevin nolan (who could do likewise)

i'd score us 3/5 but i'm still disappointed to lose scott parker for peanuts.

lancaster said:
I support West Ham.

this summer we have signed 12 players, predominantly average players who have worked with sam allardyce before.

we have let about 15 go, including 2 of the young talented kids, who could be the future of the team, (stanislas and hines) and about 5 or 6 first teamers from last year (which isn't very surprising as we were relegated)

although we did keep, carlton cole (who could dominate the championship) and sign kevin nolan (who could do likewise)

I am a Birmingham fan and we are in an even worse position, most of last years first team gone, NO really good new names and our main backers deep in the merde. Cannot see us challenging for promotion but still in Europe I guess.

A

Anonymous

lancaster said:
I support West Ham.

I think west ham are a selling club like Ajax.

TRENDING THREADS