• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The real Tennis thread.

Page 31 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

portugal11 said:
I'm feeling a
final between kyrgios/federer and a final between Halep/ostapenko.

I totally see (now) a semifinal between dimitrov and nadal, and roger vs djokovic. Federer has everything to win a 20th grand slam.

portugal11 said:
after watching berdych vs roger, I think cilic has a chance of winning the big trophy.

I am now confident that cilic has no chance

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
Re: Re:

Brullnux said:
portugal11 said:
I'm feeling a
final between kyrgios/federer and a final between Halep/ostapenko.

I totally see (now) a semifinal between dimitrov and nadal, and roger vs djokovic. Federer has everything to win a 20th grand slam.

portugal11 said:
after watching berdych vs roger, I think cilic has a chance of winning the big trophy.

I am now confident that cilic has no chance
I wasn't that bad... federer is almost in the final and halep is in the final so I was (probably) right in two finalists

Wozniacki vs Mertens showed once again how incredibly important momentum is in tennis. When Mertens had the two set points shortly after making 10 points in a row I was almost completely sure she would at least win that set but then Wozniacki somehow managed to escape the break and the tie break wasn't even close. I wonder if Mertens had won the tie break if she had already completely focussed the tiebreak when Caroline served. Mertens had the momentum on her side, was suddenly the outstanding favorite to win the set but only because Woznicacki almost didn't even win equalize the set the momentum could change again and suddenly be on Wozniacki's side while Mertens couldn't get over the fact that she blew a lead.

The players mentality in this sport is really more fascinating than in any other sport I know.

Gigs_98 said:
Wozniacki vs Mertens showed once again how incredibly important momentum is in tennis. When Mertens had the two set points shortly after making 10 points in a row I was almost completely sure she would at least win that set but then Wozniacki somehow managed to escape the break and the tie break wasn't even close. I wonder if Mertens had won the tie break if she had already completely focussed the tiebreak when Caroline served. Mertens had the momentum on her side, was suddenly the outstanding favorite to win the set but only because Woznicacki almost didn't even win equalize the set the momentum could change again and suddenly be on Wozniacki's side while Mertens couldn't get over the fact that she blew a lead.

The players mentality in this sport is really more fascinating than in any other sport I know.
To be fair, those momentum shifts are way crazier in the women's game than in the men's game. In the men's game you know for certain players exactly the moment when they're gonna screw up or make the shot.

Watched the highlights of the Halep Kerber match. It was pretty good, but again, it's just 'highlights.' Both ran a lot of balls down, especially Kerber...both had power, winners...Halep will really need to improve her serve against Wozniacki, but she's capable of breaking anyone, so there will be a number of breaks in the final, no doubt about that, unless someone is serving above expectations. One thing that surprised me was that for a three setter, and a 9-7 scoreline in the 3rd, it wasn't that long, 2:20. That's good for Halep, because if this was another 4 hour match, it wouldn't have done much good. This is now the 2nd match of the tournament where she's saved multiple match points. This 'should' help her before the final, knowing she can hold her nerve. That said, she is in a similar position as in 2017 Roland Garros. Escaped against Svitolina, then was in command against Ostapenko in the Final and ended up choking.

BullsFan22 said:
Watched the highlights of the Halep Kerber match. It was pretty good, but again, it's just 'highlights.' Both ran a lot of balls down, especially Kerber...both had power, winners...Halep will really need to improve her serve against Wozniacki, but she's capable of breaking anyone, so there will be a number of breaks in the final, no doubt about that, unless someone is serving above expectations. One thing that surprised me was that for a three setter, and a 9-7 scoreline in the 3rd, it wasn't that long, 2:20. That's good for Halep, because if this was another 4 hour match, it wouldn't have done much good. This is now the 2nd match of the tournament where she's saved multiple match points. This 'should' help her before the final, knowing she can hold her nerve. That said, she is in a similar position as in 2017 Roland Garros. Escaped against Svitolina, then was in command against Ostapenko in the Final and ended up choking.
Just watched those highlights too. Very impressive hitting from Halep, didn't knew she had that kind of hitting in her. I figured Kerber would just outgrind her.

In any case, you could see at times that both players were slowing down a bit in the third set, and started being more selective in chasing balls in longer rallies. Some people claim the women can play 5 sets, but with their lack of serve and short points, it's just not possible

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Wait is Wozniacki actually winning a Slam? :D
I hope not... her voice annoys me as hell, seems a pig squealing in the slaughterhouse and her defensive game is ugly to my eyes.
Cheung is in of my dark list now, He really gave up because federer was humiliating him on the court?

Federer looked good. I mean I know he barely broke a sweat only playing a set and a bit, but his timing is good. He didn't have any real tough matches. Cilic fought off Harrison in 4, Carreno Busta in 4 and Nadal in basically 4 though Nadal retired, obviously. I think fitness shouldn't be an issue for Cilic and he isn't battling any blisters (as he did at Wimbledon). Hopefully the final we'll be a good one.

BullsFan22 said:
Federer looked good. I mean I know he barely broke a sweat only playing a set and a bit, but his timing is good. He didn't have any real tough matches. Cilic fought off Harrison in 4, Carreno Busta in 4 and Nadal in basically 4 though Nadal retired, obviously. I think fitness shouldn't be an issue for Cilic and he isn't battling any blisters (as he did at Wimbledon). Hopefully the final we'll be a good one.
Cilic had the double rest day, fitness isn't an issue for either player.

Meanwhile, Chung was definitely not faking anything

https://www.instagram.com/p/BeahCqcBaem/

Quite gory. Don't look at it if you have a weak stomach

Re: Re:

portugal11 said:
Cance > TheRest said:
portugal11 said:
disgusting medical timeout from wozniacki
In contrast to Halep's time-out ????
the timing was very different
Well that's just like your opinion man :)

Personally I thought it was a thrilling finale. Especially the first set was some of the best tennis in this years AO, but then both players started to lose concentration in the 2nd set (which was a strange one to be honest). Wozniacki started to fail on her serve, which gave the set to Halep (who despite appearing laboured managed to hold serve). In the 3rd set, it became quite evident that the serve was the key to winning the match. Halep's serve started failing, her groundstrokes lost accuracy and so it didn't matter that Wozniacki didn't manage to hold serve either. But in the end, at 4-4, she upped her service game and managed 5-4. Unfortunately for Halep, she couldn't find the serve that brought her the 2nd set when it mattered the most.

TRENDING THREADS