• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The real Tennis thread.

Page 35 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
So. Halfway through Wimbly, and super monday is one of the best tennis days of the year.

I can spend many hours laughing at Federer's draw. Many interesting matches on the other side of the draw. Zverev once again showed his utter uselesness in Grand Slams, and Kyrgios once again showed he'll get wrecked by any elite baseliner who can return his serve. Shapovalov is equally useless when it involves winning Slam matches instead of hospitalising umpires.

Djokovic and Nadal are looking solid, I think Djoko's gonna make the final from the bottom half of the draw. Fed's gonna make the final without dropping a set or something like that. All the other good players are in the bottom half. I just hope Tsitsipas can make the semi.

Wimbledon organisers were really desperate yesterday to screw over Djokovic. Djokovic was waiting for Monfils-Anderson to finish, and while Center Court was done for the day, the only court where a match that starts late is guaranteed to finish, they put a mixed doubles match on Center. Djokovic had to do a serious demolition job to keep his rest day today.

4th consecutive year that Djokovic gets the last day on Court 1, enabling this crap. Way to treat your 3 time champion. Organisers want a Fedal final sooo badly, I want Djokovic to win the entire damn thing.

Djokovic-Nadal easily match of the year for me.

If Djokovic is playing well in the final, I don't think there's anything Anderson can do. He's having a great 12 months, but he also has like 1 outstanding win in those 12 months, and he should be a lot more tired than Djokovic.

Re:

Red Rick said:
Djokovic-Nadal easily match of the year for me.

If Djokovic is playing well in the final, I don't think there's anything Anderson can do. He's having a great 12 months, but he also has like 1 outstanding win in those 12 months, and he should be a lot more tired than Djokovic.

I think Delpo-Nadal was better. One of the best matches I have ever seen.

Two semifinals lasting more than 5 hours is just insane but I agree that Djoko will win this quite easily. But then again, I also didn't exactly expect Federer to lose to Anderson.

Re:

Red Rick said:
Kyrgios was casually tanking away until the umpire of all people gave him a pep talk. Kyrgios then proceeded to win 19 of the next 25 games or something for a 46 76 63 60 win vs Herbert.

Apparently Mo Lahyani is under investigation already

Kyrgios didn't seem to be paying much attention anyway...very odd.

Crowd got their money's worth with Cilic and De Minaur. Kyrgios should watch the young Australian's performance and he might learn something from it........maybe....

Thiem was really impressive yesterday. Don't think I have ever seen him play that well on hard court. If he is able to repeat this kind of performance against Nadal he might have a chance to beat him. Needless to say it will be difficult but I'm looking forward to the match.

11th meeting. First meeting off clay. Not sure what the HC will do for Thiem, but his best match vs Nadal this year was in Madrid, which is the fastest of the Euro clay tournaments.

I think Anderson made very bad adjustments that Nadal won't make.

Thiem needs to stop choking. He doesn't have the hilarity of Zverev in Slams but I cant remember when he clutched out a close win in a really big match vs a top opponent.

But he really showed a gear I didn't think he had on HC. It's exactly when he plays Nadal that you can see how different he is from Wawrinka.

People keep awing over Fed hitting a relatively easy shot around the net post, but those single handed backhand passes while sliding in open stance are easily the hardest conventional shot in the game and Thiem is the only one who can do that. Guy is brutally strong

Delpo would have been super hard, Djoko possibly even harder.

This loss also means he only has a tiny margin on Isner going into the fall season to qualify for the WTF. Thiem traditionally sucks in the fall

Re:

Brullnux said:
She deserved it. And whenever she does something wrong she always claims she's fighting for women's rights or whatever when in fact she's just a bully. She called him corrupt. That's abuse. Simple as that.
She was completely unhinged

She suggested rules shouldn't apply to her

She said she wasn't a cheater 'because she has a daughter'

I am sad she'll never fade into irrelevance due to her awful cult status

100% agree with the posts above. She is probably the only tennis player I absolutely cannot stand. She has that typical American diva attitude that women like Lindsey vonn have as well and it's unbearable. I feel incredibly sorry for the referee who did absolutely nothing wrong but will probably never get to referee a big match again after this just because Williams can't admit she made a mistake. And that point she lost and which lead to the discussions and subsequently to the game she lost didn't even matter. She didn't make one point that game so 99% she would have lost it anyway. Her complaining had nothing to do with fairness it was 100% her ego.

Anyway, the focus should actually be on Osaka who played a fantastic match and absolutely deserved that win. When she served for the match i was so afraid she would blow it as listening to a winners interview by Williams would have been unbearable after what happened.

Re:

movingtarget said:
The booing of Osaka was appalling. Her big moment was spoilt by some sections of the parochial crowd and the nauseating behavior of her opponent.
Serena was working through four or five situations at once..As the elite player in her sport I was blown away by her lack of composure..physically..waiting multiple seconds before smashing the racquet..totally contrived..
.when disputing the calls she went into some strange history lesson about how something always happens to her in NY and she didn't stop there..then it was on to ...
your treating me this way because I am a woman
...thank God for all of us that she didn't to the next place..Nike may have reached critical mass of she had...
What nobody had said was the cheating..in her press conference she couldn't coordinate the story...if you watch what happens...she is penalized for getting coaching signals from the stands...while on the court Serena says there are no signals,just normal encouragement...minutes after the match..her coach says yes there were signals,he further says that everyone does it..names other player coach communication combos ...then when Serena is asked at her press conference..she says yes my coach said that but I don't know what he is talking about..
I feel bad that a player takes a hit for a coach's conduct...but when the guy said he broke the rules and his reinforcement was that everybody does it...that was weak.. But it was clear were Serena got some of it..the coach went into his own history lesson about tennis hypocrisy and culture..about athletes being able to express themselves without serious penalty.
Her comments about character and role model as a mother in real time was hard to take..the guy was making a call at a tennis tournament and suddenly he is being accused of character assault, sexual discrimination and wow..I can't believe that only cost $17,000 fine..scary how fast she pivoted into capital punishment mode...very very scary

TRENDING THREADS