• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The real Tennis thread.

Page 40 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

The Hitch said:
Red Rick said:
You could use total career points and I have seen people use something similar, but I don't think it's great. You really get stuff like Murray being higher than Sampras or something, and while I think Murray would win a bunch more Slams in any other era, putting him ahead of Sampras is a bridge too far

Djokovic is a massive favorite to break the weeks at #1.

What are the career point totals. If murray beat Samprass despite -11 Grand slmas then that is really impressive

I never liked M, and was a PP fan but lets be honest, in his prime he takes prime the American. Like how the current top 10 marathon runners beat the 90's wr holders
I didn't check the stat, and just said stuff like that happens. You'd probably get Lendl as far better than Sampras, while Murray is basically better than any player under 10 Slams or something, maybe apart from Agassi cause he played until 35. Djokovic would already be far ahead of Nadal, and would probably cream Federer by the end of his career as well.

Murray's stats are crazy apart from Slam wins, and he leads Sampras in stuff like winning%. It's just really hard to compare tennis players from different era's because so much depends on the strength of the field and changes in balls, rackets and stuff like that.

Pricey_sky said:
Red Rick said:
https://www.bbc.com/sport/tennis/47466258

Murray says he's pain free. Seems really optimistic. Great to see him doing better.

Great news, hopefully he can start to rebuild and can still play this season.
Naturally media are hoping for the grass season but that probably shouldn't happen. Mike Bryan had the same surgery last year and he's playing again, but then playing doubles is a looooot less straining than singles is.

Anyway, Murray's one legged performance in Australia gives me hope he can get back to a decent level even with impaired movement. The quality ball striking doesn't really go away. Especially considering the hip pain probably also affected his shots, cause that forehand was an absolute puff ball by the end.

Nadal should avoid hard courts as much as possible, lately was a carnage for him.

Nadal-cemento-2018-2019-1.jpg

(image courtesy of Ubitennis.com)

Here isn't reported but already at the end of 2017 wasn't better, i remember him forfaiting Basilea and then going to Bercy only to score the points needed to secure number one before calling an end to his season.

Let's hope he stopped in time to be in decent form from Montecarlo otherwise he's going to sink in the ranking.

Nadal doesn't even need decent form to keep the #2nd spot in the world. Nobody but Djokovic can beat him on clay.

Nadal was injured, and #nextgen genius Khachanov couldn't take a set off him on HC. It's hilarious how terrible the young generation is.

Re:

Red Rick said:
Nadal doesn't even need decent form to keep the #2nd spot in the world. Nobody but Djokovic can beat him on clay.

Nadal was injured, and #nextgen genius Khachanov couldn't take a set off him on HC. It's hilarious how terrible the young generation is.
Thiem reaches tennis adulthood. No young player anymore.

Thiem d. Federer 3-6 6-3 7-5. Some fantastic tennis by Thiem at the end there.

Re:

Red Rick said:

On clay you can't play with one leg and Nadal needs his physical dominance to play his way.

Anyway I think that at least Thiem, Zverev and Wawrinka can beat everyone on clay.

Nirvana said:
Red Rick said:

On clay you can't play with one leg and Nadal needs his physical dominance to play his way.

Anyway I think that at least Thiem, Zverev and Wawrinka can beat everyone on clay.
Big no to Wawrinka. He's gotten too slow to do anything special on clay. Zverev doesn't have any match with Djokovic/Nadal on his racket imo.

Thiem has done decent vs top opponents on Euro clay though. I'd give him a shot at RG.

Djokovic is starting to looks like some cyclists (Nibali, Froome) that are crap everywhere excep some select races, last fall i thought that he wasn't able anymore to win back to back tournaments but maybe he's only saving himself for the slams considering what he said in the post match press conference.

I wonder if Federer will be able to lose someway even this.

I'll start worrying about Djokovic when he lays an egg in a Slam again.

Federer is just not funny anymore.

Not funny cause right now he's not doing aaaanyyyything special and his opponents will just melt down regardless. Meltvedev was a disgrace yesterday. Seriously makes me regret not playing 20h of tennis per week since I was 3 years old. Dude literally looks like a club player who stumbled in the top 15.

Red Rick said:
tobydawq said:
How can you hate Federer this much?
He always beat my fave player, and he had some of the falsest modesty and fakest humility I have ever seen in an athlete. And naturally everyone loved him.

I'm half serious here, I don't really hate him, but I do dislike the religion that is his fandom.

I think all top tennis players are faking modesty and humility. So I can't see why that should be a problem especially with him.

TRENDING THREADS